Webcam, headset and VoIP s/w

Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a good budget webcam and headset/microphone combo?

Also (and a s/w question but connected) whats the state of domestic VoIP stuff now, I have heard of skype, does this work ok? Say uk to australia if both parties on broadband?

Thanks!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
some of the members here use skype and they say it works well, you can talk to anyone anywhere aslong as they have a reasonably fast internet connection and the software

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
VoIP via Broadband

ngalbrai said:
Could anyone recommend a good budget webcam and headset/microphone combo?

Also (and a s/w question but connected) whats the state of domestic VoIP stuff now, I have heard of skype, does this work ok? Say uk to australia if both parties on broadband?

Thanks!
Not sure if this is still an outstanding question?

I'm running the latest version of SkyPE 1.4.13.71 with a Plantronics Digital Headset, and it works brilliantly. I regularly chat to mates in New Zealand using the IP to IP facility, and their new(ish) service called SkyPEOut means you call distant landlines for the cost of a local call. I only have experience of it running on broadband (512/256). One of the other guys on here tried it on dial-up and said that he was experiencing some difficulties.

Certainly makes things more tollerable when you have to hold on for trans-atlantic support calls.

BTW, the headset was about £30.00 so it's not really in the budget band, but the sound quality is superb. You can get them thru Amazon.:thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
For people on Dial-up Skype is no good (by the way I was the other guy CITech was referring to ;)) besides me another member here Gabriella also tried and had same problems as I did on Dial-up. So if you have broadband by all means go for it, I have information from other sources using bradband and Skype that it works for conference calls as well. One shauld invest in a good mike and headphone (should be comfortable) as there is a lot of savings in the long run provided one was a frequent caller using normal phone lines.

Reaction score
Skypetastic.....

Since my original post I bought a mustec webcam for about 12 quid and have signed up for skype. The camera has a built in mic and works well for a cheapy. Was using skype for the first time last night to speak to realtives in australia, its really good, was very impressed with the sound quality, we both have fast broadband conections though!

Would highly recomend using it to anyone considering it.

On a related note, are there any better options for using a webcam than MSN messanger?

Ask a Question