Web Counter for website

Sam

I'm using FP 2003 and would like to add a counter to my
site. The only problem is that my server doesn't support
FrontPage Server Extensions and I don't think this
version of Frontpage includes these extensions.

Does anybody have a good place to get third party
counters to keep track how many visits people access a
website?

Thomas A. Rowe

Check with your host to see if they offer a counter, or better still see if there offer a server log
file application.
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Sam

Do you know of any other sites that you can get a counter
for a website? I'll check with the host but I don't think
they offer one.

Check with your host to see if they offer a counter, or
better still see if there offer a server log

Tom Pepper Willett

Google for "free hit counters"..and you'll come up with many.
--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
| Do you know of any other sites that you can get a counter
| for a website? I'll check with the host but I don't think
| they offer one.

FourOf5Zs

For third party you can type into your search engine 'hit counter'. If you
want a free one add the word free.

Below is a cgi script that I was told to use at my website and as far as I
know it will work with any server.

To add a counter to your page, copy and paste the following html code into
the document:

<!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/counter-ord"-->

Example:

You are the <!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/counter-ord"--> Visitor to this USGenNet
Website Since May 11, 2000.

Result:

You are the 103rd Visitor to this USGenNetT Website Since May 11, 2000.

(Note: 103rd is underlined and the color is red)

Front Page Users: To insert HTML code, switch from Normal View (Front Page)
to HTML View (Raw HTML Code)

It's not fancy and I have no idea how to reset it.

"Sam" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
| I'm using FP 2003 and would like to add a counter to my
| site. The only problem is that my server doesn't support
| FrontPage Server Extensions and I don't think this
| version of Frontpage includes these extensions.
|
| Does anybody have a good place to get third party
| counters to keep track how many visits people access a
| website?

Ronx

The script will only work on servers that have the counter-ord
script/cgi-program installed in the cgi-bin on the server.

Additionally, on most servers, the pages will need to be named with .shtm or
..shtml extensions, unless the server checks every page for server-side
includes (wasteful of server resources, IMO).

Ron

FourOf5Zs

| The script will only work on servers that have the counter-ord
| script/cgi-program installed in the cgi-bin on the server.

I've used it on several different servers... maybe it's common.

| Additionally, on most servers, the pages will need to be named with .shtm
or
| .shtml extensions, unless the server checks every page for server-side
| includes (wasteful of server resources, IMO).

My pages... .html.

I know nothing about cgi scripts... how they work... and very little html...
I was just sharing what worked for me.

| Ron
| --
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| | > For third party you can type into your search engine 'hit counter'. If
| you
| > want a free one add the word free.
| >
| > Below is a cgi script that I was told to use at my website and as far as
| > know it will work with any server.
| >

| > To add a counter to your page, copy and paste the following html code
into
| > the document:
| >
| > <!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/counter-ord"-->
| >
| > Example:
| >
| > You are the <!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/counter-ord"--> Visitor to this
| USGenNet
| > Website Since May 11, 2000.
| >
| > Result:
| >
| > You are the 103rd Visitor to this USGenNetT Website Since May 11, 2000.
| >
| > (Note: 103rd is underlined and the color is red)
| >
| > Front Page Users: To insert HTML code, switch from Normal View (Front
| Page)
| > to HTML View (Raw HTML Code)
| >

| > It's not fancy and I have no idea how to reset it.

| > | site. The only problem is that my server doesn't support
| > | FrontPage Server Extensions and I don't think this
| > | version of Frontpage includes these extensions.
| > |
| > | Does anybody have a good place to get third party
| > | counters to keep track how many visits people access a
| > | website?

Ronx

Response inline

Ron

FourOf5Zs said:
| The script will only work on servers that have the counter-ord
| script/cgi-program installed in the cgi-bin on the server.

I've used it on several different servers... maybe it's common.

Not a script I have ever seen before, and I have used several hosts and
servers, but that does not mean it isn't common.

| Additionally, on most servers, the pages will need to be named with ..shtm
or
| .shtml extensions, unless the server checks every page for server-side
| includes (wasteful of server resources, IMO).

My pages... .html.

The server will have to parse every page for Server Side Includes to check
whether there is a hit counter (or other SSI) on the page or not. This will
slow down a busy server.
I know nothing about cgi scripts... how they work... and very little html...
I was just sharing what worked for me.

Sharing is good.