Web app security

SAL

Hello,
at our company we have two different web development platforms, ASP.NET and
ColdFusion.
We are trying to merge security between the platforms to provide a security
blanket, so-to-speak, around all our apps.
We are trying to come up with the same encryption for a simple string with a
simple Key using AES encryption. Since AES uses Rijndael I'm using that
algorithm.
I admit my understanding of this is very limited but here's what we are
trying. The ColdFusion guy says he has different encoding options when using
AES, one being Base64 encoding.

We are trying to encrypt the following string and come up with the same
results:
string = 'mystring'
password = 00000000000000000000000000000000
Salt = ALgzpd1HvwRonMPzOPDp7g==

I've read through the docs a few times and am still not making sense of
this. I need to be able to match the ColdFusion guys output. He's
outputting:
Using Base64 encoding:
sZ4SKYHMO6At4GJP1i+QFA==

The docs for his function are at:
http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/help.html?content=functions_e-g_01.html
He is not passing in the iterations argument.

So, I am using the following code:
The first function calling the second one.
public static string Encrypt(string clearText, string Password)

{
// First we need to turn the input string into a byte array.
byte[] clearBytes = System.Text.Encoding.Unicode.GetBytes(clearText);
byte[] salt =
System.Text.Encoding.Unicode.GetBytes("ALgzpd1HvwRonMPzOPDp7g==");

PasswordDeriveBytes pdb = new PasswordDeriveBytes(Password,
new byte[] { 0x49, 0x76, 0x61, 0x6e, 0x20, 0x4d, 0x65, 0x64, 0x76,
0x65, 0x64, 0x65, 0x76 });

byte[] b = { 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0,
0x0, 0x0,
0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0,
0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0,
0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0 };
// I've tried it both ways here using the salt for the second argument for
the pdb passwordDerivedBytes constructor.
byte[] encryptedData = Encrypt(clearBytes, b, salt);
//byte[] encryptedData = Encrypt(clearBytes, pdb.GetBytes(32),
pdb.GetBytes(16));

return Convert.ToBase64String(encryptedData);
}

public static byte[] Encrypt(byte[] clearData, byte[] Key, byte[] IV)

{
// Create a MemoryStream that is going to accept the encrypted bytes
MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream();

// Create a symmetric algorithm.
// We are going to use Rijndael because it is strong and available on all
platforms.
// You can use other algorithms, to do so substitute the next line with
something like
// TripleDES alg = TripleDES.Create();

Rijndael alg = Rijndael.Create();
// I tried this next line to no avail
//alg.Mode = CipherMode.ECB;

alg.Key = Key;
//alg.IV = IV;

// Create a CryptoStream through which we are going to be pumping our data.
// CryptoStreamMode.Write means that we are going to be writing data to the
stream
// and the output will be written in the MemoryStream we have provided.

CryptoStream cs = new CryptoStream(ms, alg.CreateEncryptor(),
CryptoStreamMode.Write);

// Write the data and make it do the encryption

cs.Write(clearData, 0, clearData.Length);

cs.Close();

byte[] encryptedData = ms.ToArray();
return encryptedData;
}

Steven Cheng

Hi SAL,

From your description, I understand that you're encountering some problem
to make the.NET AES encryption to work together with the AES encryption
component in Adobe codefusion system, correct?

Based on the codesnippet and encrypt info you provided, I think here are
something we need to clarify first:

#AES support various key length and may have customized chain mode, you can
print the default settings (when you create the RijndaelManaged provider)
and confirm the setting with your CodeFusion side guys:

==================
RijndaelManaged AESP = new RijndaelManaged();
string str = string.Format("feedback mode:{0},key
size:{1},Padding:{2}", AESP.Mode.ToString(), AESP.KeySize, AESP.Padding);
MessageBox.Show(str);
==================

here is the output from my side:

---------------------------
feedback mode:CBC,key size:256,Padding:pKCS7
---------------------------

In addition, when you use .NET AES(Rnjindaelmanaged Provider) to perform
encryption. Two parameters are very important, the Key and IV(initial
vector). I suggest you ask the fusion guy to directly give you the two
things (better in byte array format/hex encoded) which can be directly
passed into the AES provider's Key and IV property. Therefore, it's much
more convenient for you to first test out whether the main AES provider
settings are correct. After that, we can move onto the password derived
approach.

BTW, in your code, you first use Unicode Encoding to convert string to
byte, you need to also confirm with Fusion guys that whether they also use
unicode encoding or only use base64 encoding for all string-bytes
convertion. This is also very important.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

suggestions about how we

can improve the support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my
manager know what you think of

the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager
at: (e-mail address removed).

where an initial response from

the community or a Microsoft Support Engineer within 2 business day is
acceptable. Please note that

each follow up response may take approximately 2 business days as the
support professional working

with you may need further investigation to reach the most efficient
resolution. The offering is not

appropriate for situations that require urgent, real-time or phone-based
interactions. Issues of this

by contacting Microsoft

Customer Support Services (CSS) at

From: "SAL" <[email protected]>
Subject: Web app security
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:45:49 -0700
Hello,
[...]

Steven,
thanks for the reply and sorry I'm slow at responding. We've been working on
this and trying to get it straight. Our Cold Fusion guy is not able to give
me all the details of how his function works so, I found this code example
on the internet and we've made some progress. However, it's still a little
odd on his end. We started with simple DES encryption as that's the example
I found. We are also just using static key and IV's just for testing
purposes.

My code:

sEncryptionKey = "ABCDEFGH'
stringToEncrypt = "mystring"

public static string EncryptToBase64String(string stringToEncrypt, string
SEncryptionKey)
{
// http://forums.asp.net/t/222886.aspx
// Doc for this code
byte[] key =
System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(SEncryptionKey.Substring(0, 8));
byte[] iv = {80,108,67,75,101,121,87,83}; //this is the same as
in the CF Code = PlCKeyWS
DESCryptoServiceProvider des = new DESCryptoServiceProvider();
byte[] inputByteArray = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(stringToEncrypt);
MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream();
CryptoStream cs = new CryptoStream(ms, des.CreateEncryptor(key,
iv), CryptoStreamMode.Write);
cs.Write(inputByteArray, 0, inputByteArray.Length);
cs.FlushFinalBlock();
return Convert.ToBase64String(ms.ToArray());
}

returns: WlViP9S+Q1f5dd+Ox1m3oA==

His code:

<cfscript>
theKey = ToBase64("ABCDEFGH");
Vector = ToBase64("PlCKeyWS");
baseVector = ToBinary(Vector);
decrypted = decrypt(URL.P, theKey, "DES/CBC/NoPadding", "BASE64",
baseVector);
parameters = ListToArray(decrypted, "&");
</cfscript>

<cfdump var="#parameters#">

But, his output is:
mystring

We don't understand the boxes on his output. However, if he encrypts, his
results are only the same as mine if he includes the boxes.
We are wondering if we could get any insight into why this is happening.
Once we get it straight, we'd also like to move on to better encryption such
as AES.

Thanks

"Steven Cheng" said:
Hi SAL,

From your description, I understand that you're encountering some problem
[...]

nature are best handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support
Engineer
by contacting Microsoft

Customer Support Services (CSS) at
rights.

--------------------
From: "SAL" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:45:49 -0700
Hello,
[...]

thanks for your pointers. What we wound up doing is I built a .NET assembly
for his use that handles the encrypting and decrypting.
He's able to use that in his app without having to go through any http pipes
or anything encrypting the password. He then passes the encrypted password
to me for authentication and I decrypt it. Then I just use the Membership
class to validate the user.
Using this method, we can both use our respective, native authorizing
environments (me ASP.NET and him ColdFusion) and we don't have to change
much in our apps.

"Steven Cheng" said:
Hi SAL,

From your description, I understand that you're encountering some problem

From: "SAL" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:45:49 -0700
Hello,
[...]

Thanks for your reply SAL,

Well, I also think the approach you currently used it good. Since the .NET
framework implementation of the symmetric and asymmetric encryption is
quite complete and powerful. It's good to make your application use the
consistent implementation from client to server.