Want Heading without pg # in ToC

klam

I would like 4 headings to show in the ToC but not the dot leaders or page
number.

I gave them a different style and assigned them ToC Level 1. They show up
with the dot leaders & page numbers.

Since there are only 4 of these in the document, I tried to delete the dot
leaders and page numbering manually. I am able to delete the dot leaders but
when I try to highlight the page number the heading is highlighted too so I
can't delete just the page number.

Working in Word 2003 on a stand alone PC, with XP.

Any insights much appreciated!

Suzanne S. Barnhill

If you want them treated differently, you will need to give them a different
outline level (so they will use a different TOC style) and then suppress the
numbering for that level. The headings at this outline level can be
formatted identical to those at another level that do have page numbers.

klam

Thx a mint for the reply, Suzanne.

Of course, that makes complete sense. I have done that but cannot figure out
how to supress the page numbering for just that ONE level in the ToC. Any
suggestions on how to do that?

I have tried looking in all the options under "Format" and "Modify". I did
see where to turn off the dot leaders and page numbers on the Reference>ToC
main window, but that turns it off for all levels of the ToC.

Suggestions from anyone much appreciated.

klam

Thx a mint Suzanne. Took a few "go's" at it, but the ToC is fab now!

Boy, just when I thought I was pretty good at ToC's, I feel like a moron
again!

cheers,

Henk57

klam;2625388 said:
Thx a mint for the reply, Suzanne.

Of course, that makes complete sense. I have done that but canno
figure out
how to supress the page numbering for just that ONE level in the ToC.
Any
suggestions on how to do that?

I have tried looking in all the options under "Format" and "Modify".
did
see where to turn off the dot leaders and page numbers on th
ReferenceToC
main window, but that turns it off for all levels of the ToC.

Suggestions from anyone much appreciated.

:
-
If you want them treated differently, you will need to give them
different
outline level (so they will use a different TOC style) and the
suppress the
numbering for that level. The headings at this outline level can be
formatted identical to those at another level that do have pag
numbers.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"klam" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
I would like 4 headings to show in the ToC but not the dot leaders o
page
number.

I gave them a different style and assigned them ToC Level 1. The
show up
with the dot leaders & page numbers.

Since there are only 4 of these in the document, I tried to delet
the dot
leaders and page numbering manually. I am able to delete the do
leaders
but
when I try to highlight the page number the heading is highlighte
too so
can't delete just the page number.

Working in Word 2003 on a stand alone PC, with XP.

Any insights much appreciated!

-

-

The tab leader can be controlled for each individual TOC level. Modif
the TOC style by selecting the tab setting, choosing "none" for the ta
leader (tab leaders are defined per tab, so be careful to select th
right tab!).

IMHO you cannot control the page numbering of DIFFERENT heading level
- it's either show all or none. A macro may come to rescue.
A workaround may be to select the page numbers in the TOC and give the
a white color (ALT+left mouse button pressed allows a vertical selectio
of all page numbers in one go, so you don't have to do it for each pag
number individually - I didn't test whether it works for TOCs though).
However, when I fiddled a bit I found that updating the entire TO
restores the formatting. Oddly, when I chose Update page numbers only
the white (so invisble font) remained in place! Assuming I didnt make
mistake, then you cld apply this trick as soon as your doc structure i
final.
HTH - Hen

Suzanne S. Barnhill

IMHO you cannot control the page numbering of DIFFERENT heading levels
- it's either show all or none.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this is just not true. You can suppress
page numbering for any given level or levels (you can even, using the
workaround I describe in http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm,
omit page numbers for nonconsecutive levels).

Another workaround that's been suggested (though it's unnecessary and a
little bizarre) is to omit the leader and set the right tab beyond the right
page edge.

Henk57

Thank you, Suzanne. I wasn't aware of the \n switch solution, and am
glad you filled my knowledge gap on this point. I trust the OP's
problem is now solved.