w32tm

Hi

I have a single AD server running win2000
The system time is currently five minutes ahead of real time

I would like to synchronize this with an external source using the w32tm service

Can I safely roll back the time using w32tm and not jeopardize active directory synchronization

Thanks

Jeff

Herb Martin

I have a single AD server running win2000.
The system time is currently five minutes ahead of real time.
I would like to synchronize this with an external source using the w32tm service.
Can I safely roll back the time using w32tm and not jeopardize active
directory synchronization?

Sure, you have no replication with only one DC <grin>.

You may also do it for such short periods safely with multiple DCs
and the time service is also supposed to "synchronize time in smaller
chunks rather than suddenly."

In fact, if multiple DCs were far out of sync THAT would jeopardize
replication (either wrong, or refuse to authenticated with Kerberos and
replicate.)

David Pharr [MSFT]

If you wish to synchronize with an outside time source, follow the steps in
the following article:

216734 How to Configure an Authoritative Time Server in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216734

It's not critical that you synchronize with an outside time source since
your client machines will get their information from the DC against which
they authenticate. With the default W32Time type of Nt5DS all your clients
will keep their time synchronized with the DC. You do not have to roll
back the time or make any modifications to configure an external
authoritative time server.

If you want the inner working of the Windows Time Service it's included in
this white paper:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/security/wintimeser
v.asp
--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?amVmZnM=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: w32tm
| Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:36:08 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Hi,

I have a single AD server running win2000.
The system time is currently five minutes ahead of real time.

I would like to synchronize this with an external source using the w32tm
service.

Can I safely roll back the time using w32tm and not jeopardize active
directory synchronization?

Thanks,

Jeff

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)