W32/Mydoom.ag@MM - Heads Up!

PA Bear

From: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=34893

<quote>
This brand new version of MyDoom is HTML based and does not contain
attachments. It also exploits a critical IE vulnerability, so AV protection
plus best practices are needed -- as this one has some potential.

W32/Mydoom.ag@MM - Zero Day IE I-FRAME Attack
http://secunia.com/virus_information/13213/mydoom.ag/
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_129630.htm

This W32/Mydoom@MM variant makes use of a zero day attack targeting a
Microsoft Internet Explorer IFRAME buffer overflow vulnerability. The virus
spreads by sending email messages to addresses found on the local system.
The message appears as follows:

From: Spoofed address
Subject: may vary

* funny photos :)
* hello
* hey!
* blank

There is no attachment to the message. The homepage hyperlink points to the
infected system which sent the email message. Clicking on the link, accesses
a web server running on the compromised system. The web server serves HTML
that contains IFRAME buffer overflow code to automatically execute the
virus.
</quote>

PCR

It hasn't been confirmed for us (Win98) yet, PA.

Internet Explorer IFRAME Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
http://secunia.com/advisories/12959/
......Quote................
The vulnerability has been confirmed in the following versions:
* Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP SP1 (fully patched).
* Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows 2000 (fully patched).
.....EOQ...................

Anyway, I see nothing in Sent Items over the last few days that I
haven't personally sent!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| From: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=34893
|
| <quote>
| This brand new version of MyDoom is HTML based and does not contain
| attachments. It also exploits a critical IE vulnerability, so AV
protection
| plus best practices are needed -- as this one has some potential.
|
| W32/Mydoom.ag@MM - Zero Day IE I-FRAME Attack
| http://secunia.com/virus_information/13213/mydoom.ag/
| http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_129630.htm
|
| This W32/Mydoom@MM variant makes use of a zero day attack targeting a
| Microsoft Internet Explorer IFRAME buffer overflow vulnerability. The
virus
| spreads by sending email messages to addresses found on the local
system.
| The message appears as follows:
|
| From: Spoofed address
| Subject: may vary
|
| * funny photos :)
| * hello
| * hey!
| * blank
|
| There is no attachment to the message. The homepage hyperlink points
to the
| infected system which sent the email message. Clicking on the link,
accesses
| a web server running on the compromised system. The web server serves
HTML
| that contains IFRAME buffer overflow code to automatically execute the
| virus.
| </quote>
| --
| ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

Brian A.

How about this for a little convincing then.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

Also Known As : W32/Mydoom.ag@MM [McAfee], WORM_MYDOOM.AG [Trend Micro], W32/Bofra-A [Sophos], MyDoom.AG [F-Secure], Win32.Mydoom.AF [Computer Associates], I-Worm.Mydoom.ad [Kaspersky]

Systems Affected : Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

And as mentioned in Pa Bears post, you must click on the hyperlink to execute the virus, unless I'm mis-interpreting it.

The email contains a hyperlink that, when clicked on, takes the user to an .html page that exploits the Microsoft Internet Explorer Malformed IFRAME Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability (BID 11515). When this page is viewed the file http://[remote address]:1639/reactor is downloaded as %Desktop\vv.dat to the infected computer and executed. This file is detected as W32.Mydoom.AH@mm.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

PCR

I am weary & must go to bed. Well, OK, as I am tired, I SUPPOSE it is
CONFIRMED now, but I can't go clicking your URLs till later. Lucky I
have message rules for this sort of thing & I don't go clicking strange
E-Mails, either,-- much less any link inside. Good night. (No, it isn't
nighttime, but I'm sleepy. I suppose I caught a hibernation-virus from
the Bear.)

--
[...]

Ah! Now I've clicked...
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]
...., & I'm sure I have seen some of those Subjects ("Hi!", "Hello",
"Confirmation") in my Inbox. Likely, I've never clicked one. Surely,
I've never clicked anything inside. That is why I have nothing named
"<whatever>32.exe" in my "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab".

Now, I'm thinking, evidence may not show up in the Sent Items folder,
though, as the virus "uses its own SMTP engine to send a mass-mailing to
the email addresses that it finds".

--
> [...]
| > (e-mail address removed)
| > | <quote>
| > | This brand new version of MyDoom is HTML based and does not
contain
| > | attachments. It also exploits a critical IE vulnerability, so AV
| > protection
| > | plus best practices are needed -- as this one has some potential.
| > |
| > | W32/Mydoom.ag@MM - Zero Day IE I-FRAME Attack
| > | http://secunia.com/virus_information/13213/mydoom.ag/
| > | http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_129630.htm
| > |
| > | This W32/Mydoom@MM variant makes use of a zero day attack
targeting
| > | Microsoft Internet Explorer IFRAME buffer overflow vulnerability.
| The
| > virus
| > | spreads by sending email messages to addresses found on the local
| > |
| > | * funny photos :)
| > | * hello
| > | * hey!
| > | * blank
| > |
| > | There is no attachment to the message. The homepage hyperlink
points
| > to the
| > | infected system which sent the email message. Clicking on the
link,
| > accesses
| > | a web server running on the compromised system. The web server
| serves
| > HTML
| > | that contains IFRAME buffer overflow code to automatically execute
| the
| > | virus.
| > | </quote>
| > | --
| > | ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| > | MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
| > |

Kelly

I am weary & must go to bed.

'Night!

/taskbarplus!.htm

PCR said:
Ah! Now I've clicked...
> [...]

| > (e-mail address removed)
| > | <quote>
| > | This brand new version of MyDoom is HTML based and does not
contain
| > | attachments. It also exploits a critical IE vulnerability, so AV
| > protection
| > | plus best practices are needed -- as this one has some potential.
| > |
| > | W32/Mydoom.ag@MM - Zero Day IE I-FRAME Attack
| > | http://secunia.com/virus_information/13213/mydoom.ag/
| > | http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_129630.htm
| > |
| > | This W32/Mydoom@MM variant makes use of a zero day attack
targeting
| > | Microsoft Internet Explorer IFRAME buffer overflow vulnerability.
| The
| > virus
| > | spreads by sending email messages to addresses found on the local
| > |
| > | * funny photos :)
| > | * hello
| > | * hey!
| > | * blank
| > |
| > | There is no attachment to the message. The homepage hyperlink
points
| > to the
| > | infected system which sent the email message. Clicking on the
link,
| > accesses
| > | a web server running on the compromised system. The web server
| serves
| > HTML
| > | that contains IFRAME buffer overflow code to automatically execute
| the
| > | virus.
| > | </quote>
| > | --
| > | ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| > | MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
| > |

PCR

Good night. Bear appears to have entered a hibernation, right after
starting this informative thread. That is why we need you here, Kelly!
What is the cure for a hibernation virus?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
(e-mail address removed)
| >I am weary & must go to bed.
|
| 'Night!
|
| --
| All the Best,
| Kelly
|
| Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
| 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
|
| Troubleshooting Windows XP
| http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
|
| Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
| http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
|

| | > Ah! Now I've clicked...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]
| > ..., & I'm sure I have seen some of those Subjects ("Hi!", "Hello",
| > "Confirmation") in my Inbox. Likely, I've never clicked one. Surely,
| > I've never clicked anything inside. That is why I have nothing named
| > "<whatever>32.exe" in my "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab".
| >
| > Now, I'm thinking, evidence may not show up in the Sent Items
folder,
| > though, as the virus "uses its own SMTP engine to send a
mass-mailing to
| > the email addresses that it finds".
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > (e-mail address removed)
| > | CONFIRMED now, but I can't go clicking your URLs till later. Lucky
| > | have message rules for this sort of thing & I don't go clicking
| > strange
| > | E-Mails, either,-- much less any link inside. Good night. (No, it
| > isn't
| > | nighttime, but I'm sleepy. I suppose I caught a hibernation-virus
from
| > | the Bear.)
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | Thanks or Good Luck,
| > | There may be humor in this post, and,
| > | Naturally, you will not sue,
| > | should things get worse after this,
| > | PCR
| > | (e-mail address removed)
| > |
| > |

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]
| > |
| > | Also Known As : W32/Mydoom.ag@MM [McAfee], WORM_MYDOOM.AG [Trend
| > Micro],
| > | W32/Bofra-A [Sophos], MyDoom.AG [F-Secure], Win32.Mydoom.AF
[Computer
| > | Associates], I-Worm.Mydoom.ad [Kaspersky]
| > |
| > | Systems Affected : Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows
Me,
| > | Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
| > |
| > | And as mentioned in Pa Bears post, you must click on the
hyperlink to
| > | execute the virus, unless I'm mis-interpreting it.
| > |
| > | The email contains a hyperlink that, when clicked on, takes the
user
| > | an .html page that exploits the Microsoft Internet Explorer
Malformed
| > | IFRAME Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability (BID 11515). When this
| > page
| > | is viewed the file http://[remote address]:1639/reactor is
downloaded
| > as
| > | %Desktop\vv.dat to the infected computer and executed. This file
is
| > | detected as W32.Mydoom.AH@mm.
| > |
| > | --
| > |
| > | Brian A.
| > |
| > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
| > | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > |
| > |

| > contain