VS 2003 to VS 2005 : System.Web.Compilation.CompilationLock

G

Gaetan

Using the latest VS 2005 "Web project Conversion Wizard" , I migrated a web application from VS 2003
..Net 1.1 to VS 2005 .Net 2.0. My application is using a custom IIS application pool since I needed
to change the account credentials (I'm not using Network Service).

Like many other people, the application will not start under VS 2005 debugger. VS 2005 reports
"Unable to start debugging on the web server. The web server is not configured correctly. ..."

When I start the application under IE, most of the time, I get the following exception:

InvalidOperationException: Mutex could not be created.]
System.Web.Compilation.CompilationMutex..ctor(String name, String comment) +3464657
System.Web.Compilation.CompilationLock..cctor() +158

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'System.Web.Compilation.CompilationLock'
threw an exception.]
System.Web.Compilation.CompilationLock.GetLock(Boolean& gotLock) +32
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled() +114

[HttpException (0x80004005): The type initializer for 'System.Web.Compilation.CompilationLock' threw
an exception.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +3426839
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +149

Usually, stopping VS 2005, doing a IISReset and deleting the
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\{my web appl} will reset the
things. It is not a valid workaround for a production environment.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem? Also the W3WP.exe process crashes all the time ...

G.

Ask a Question