Voltages and testing etc...help!

Reaction score
I never have a clue what anyone is talking about when discussing voltage settings on motherboards, and jumpers and all that stuff. Ok, I've closed a few jumpers to adjust memory voltages so that my ram doesn't burn out...but that's all just following instructions...I never really understand what's actually happening and how the jumpers work etc.

Does anyone know where I can find a real easy guide to the electrical aspects of mobo's, RAM, CPU etc...core voltages?

Is there a piece of kit that allows you to do DIY testing to check that things are set up right?

The next stage in my learning curve is to understand more about this stuff, so any advice would be most welcome! :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey 1nteger!

Nowadays its usual to find most of the voltage control adjustable in the BIOS, and will have several options, with the first usually being default. You can always use a voltmeter or multimeter to check the actual voltage readings on your motherboard, but this would be pretty fiddly even for an expert.

A webpage which explains a little bit is http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/funcVoltages-c.html and covers the actual power supply lines.

Hope that helps :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad to be of help :) If there are any specific electronics questions you have, I might be able to give you a hand - or ask one of the electrical engineers here at uni for you ;)

Ask a Question