Visual Studio compiles slowly, low CPU usage

Scot Rose [MSFT]

Yes, BUT the .Net environment somehow has to see the ASP net User (Acording to that article) thats why I brought it up. Make sure that account exists and has proper
permissions...

Want to know more? Check out the MSDN Library at http://msdn.microsoft.com or the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com

Scot Rose, MCSD
Microsoft Visual Basic Developer Support
Email : (e-mail address removed) <Remove word online. from address>

This posting is provided “AS IS”, with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Bruno Jouhier [MVP]

Hi Scot,

The ASPNET user exists (we really need it because we are developing a web
app). So the problem must be somewhere else.

Thanks anyway for the info.

Bruno.

Subject: Re: Visual Studio compiles slowly, low CPU usage
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:36:14 +0200
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

Hi Scot,

Yes, we are running under a domain at work, and not at home. I looked at the
link but I don't think it explains our problem:

* The problem is not with the .NET apps that we create but with Visual
Studio .NET itself.

* Visual Studio starts normally (so the problem is not at load time). The
problem shows up at the end of compilation: CPU usage is very low (2% or
less) and stays like this for more than 1 minute before completing and
moving to the next project of our solution.

* We are running Studio 2003, so the underlying framework is 1.1 rather than
1.0.

One note: our solution mixes J# and C# projects. The first project that
takes the longuest to compile is a J# project which is referenced by all our
other projects. Depending on what we are building, we have between 5 and 46
projects in the solution but the problem does not seem to be related to the
number of projects in the solution.

Also, recently we have rewritten our resource handling to use the .NET
mechanisms (resx files) rather than our old Java scheme, and it seems that
the slow compile pb has worsened at about the same time. So, it may be
related to the build of satellite assemblies.

What I can't understand is why the compiler sits almost idle for long
seconds before completing compilation. It really looks like it's waiting for
some kind of network response (from the domain controller???).

Bruno.

"Scot Rose [MSFT]" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
Hi Bruno, Are you on a Domain at work? If so see

318738 FIX: .NET Programs Are Slow to Load When Running Under a Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318738

This is 'supposed' to be fixed, but might be worth a look. You may need
to have an ASPNet account set up according to the article..

From: "Bruno Jouhier [MVP]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Visual Studio compiles slowly, low CPU usage
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:20:35 +0200
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp,microsoft.public.dotnet.vjsharp

I'm currently experiencing a strange phenomenon:

At my Office, Visual Studio takes a very long time to compile our solution
(more than 1 minute for the first project).
At home, Visual Studio compiles the same solution much faster (about 10
seconds for the first project).

My home computer is only marginally faster than the one I have at the office
(P4 2.53 vs. P4 2.4, same amount of RAM).
On the slow machine, the CPU usage is very low, especially at the end
of
the
compilation phase (once the progress bar is at the end, waiting for the
"build complete" message). This low CPU phase seems to account for the
difference in overall time. There is no other process taking CPU
during
that
time (the "overall" CPU usage is 0 or very close to 0).

Also, we observe the same slowness on all the machines that we have in our
office. And the behavior is not due to the corporate antivirus because we
turned it off.

I'm puzzled (and a bit frustrated). Could this be due to the fact that we
are on a corporate LAN and that .NET needs to run more expensive security
checks that block on network requests. This my only hypothesis so far
because I saw small bursts of activity in lsass.exe during the low CPU
phase.

Anybody experienced something like this? Any clues on what could cause this?

Bruno.

Scot Rose [MSFT]

Could Name resolution possibley be the issue? Perhaps you could put an entry for the machine where the files are located in the HOSTS file and see if that resolves the problem.
Its a long shot but it could be that simple...

--------------------

From: "Bruno Jouhier [MVP]" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:20:35 +0200
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp,microsoft.public.dotnet.vjsharp

[...]

Bruno Jouhier [MVP]

Hi Scot,

The files (Studio and source) are on the local disk.

Actually, I crossposted on microsoft.public.dotnet.vjsharp and Michael Green
(MS) suggested that I unplug the network cable.
I tried it and it fixed the problem. The results are the following:

With network cable:
First project: 110 s
Whole solution: 240 s

Without network cable:
First project: 20s
Whole solution 150 s

So, the compiler wastes 1 min 30 s if the network cable is connected. And
only the first project of the solution is affected. Strange!

This shows 2 things:

* Everything is installed locally, because I can build with the network
cable unplugged.
* VStudio is doing something strange over the network at the end of the
first project build.

Michael suggests that I run netmon to investigate what is going on through
the wire but I don't have time to investigate this right now.
I just turned my machine around so that I can easily unplug the net cable
before compiling. Problem is that the fan is a bit noisy!

Bruno.

Scot Rose said:
Could Name resolution possibley be the issue? Perhaps you could put an
entry for the machine where the files are located in the HOSTS file and see
if that resolves the problem.
Its a long shot but it could be that simple...

Scot Rose, MCSD
Microsoft Visual Basic Developer Support
Email : (e-mail address removed) <Remove word online. from address>

Scot Rose [MSFT]

Problem could be name resolution as I mentined before... Put the IP Address of teh Web Server in the Hosts file and see what happens... Checking a Netmon trace is probably
definately the way to go to resolve this in the future.

Scot Rose, MCSD
Microsoft Visual Basic Developer Support
Email : (e-mail address removed) <Remove word online. from address>

This posting is provided “AS IS”, with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Get Secure!
http://www.microsoft.com/security
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

--------------------

Bruno Jouhier [MVP]

Hi Scott,

I don't understand which Web Server you are talking about. Everything's
test on localhost (so each of us can test on his own machine).

The only thing that's remote is our CVS source control but we got rid of the
IDE integration and we run WinCvs on the side (and we access it by IP, not
by name).

So, do you mean that I should put "localhost" in my Hosts file? I'm a bit
lost.

Bruno.

Scot Rose said:
Problem could be name resolution as I mentined before... Put the IP
Address of teh Web Server in the Hosts file and see what happens... Checking
a Netmon trace is probably
definately the way to go to resolve this in the future.

Scot Rose, MCSD
Microsoft Visual Basic Developer Support
Email : (e-mail address removed) <Remove word online. from address>

Get Secure!
http://www.microsoft.com/security
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Chris Capel

Everything's
test on localhost (so each of us can test on his own machine).

Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of the windows kernel, or deep in the
bowels of the framework? Could be any name.

Chris