Visual studio C++ compiler

Arnd Boettcher

How can I invoke the Visual studio C++ compiler by command
line?
Any advices are welcome.

Arnd Boettcher

From: "Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Visual studio C++ compiler
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 06:55:56 -0700

Arnd said:
Thank you. Where can I get an information about missing
functionality in .NET Framework SDK? As I've seen a crt-
library is included with Microsoft SDK I've installed on
my computer, too. Could it be used in any way?
a.b.

AFIAK, if you want to use the C++ standard library, MFC or ATL, you need to
buy Visual Studio.

-cd

That's correct. The C++ compiler included with the .NET Framework SDK is
only for developing .NET applications that use the Framework's Base Class
Library, not any native C++ libraries.

Daniel Tomko [MSFT]

--------------------
From: "Arnd Boettcher" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Arnd Boettcher" <[email protected]>

Thank you. Where can I get an information about missing
functionality in .NET Framework SDK? As I've seen a crt-
library is included with Microsoft SDK I've installed on
my computer, too. Could it be used in any way?
a.b.

I should add that there really isn't anything missing. It is helpful to
consider Managed C++ a different language from normal C++. It introduces
new concepts that are specific to the .NET runtime and has it's own
libraries. Those libraries are different from the standard C++ libraries,
but most of the same functionality is there, without templates. Future
versions will have a template-like feature called generics. With the full
Visual C++ compiler it is possible to create applications that use both
standard C++ and managed C++ constructs and libraries, but not in the .NET
Framework SDK version.

Jack Meyhoff

Think of MC++ as a superset of C++ (with managed extensions), like Objective
C is a superset of C and VB.NET is a different lanugage from VB6.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights or
dancing girls and flying cars.