Visual Studio 2012--anybody switch to it?

RayLopez99

I hate switching VS versions since I find they coexist on your harddrive and that causes potential update problems.

Supposedly these versions are "98%" backwards compatible but it's the 2% that gives you fits.

Anybody switch to the just released VS 2012? I may wait another six months.

Arne Vajhøj

I hate switching VS versions since I find they coexist on your harddrive and that causes potential update problems.

Supposedly these versions are "98%" backwards compatible but it's the 2% that gives you fits.

Anybody switch to the just released VS 2012? I may wait another six months.

VS versions are supposed to coexist.

And I have successfully had 2005, 2008 and 2010 on the same system.

It would surprise me if 2010 and 2012 did not coexist just fine as well.

But if you are concerned, then install 2012 in a VM until you feel
comfortable switching completely.

Arne

RayLopez99

VS versions are supposed to coexist.

And I have successfully had 2005, 2008 and 2010 on the same system.

It would surprise me if 2010 and 2012 did not coexist just fine as well.

But if you are concerned, then install 2012 in a VM until you feel

comfortable switching completely.

Arne

Thanks Arne, that's EXACTLY what I plan to do. But I have to find a semi-legal copy of Windows 7 so I can start another virtual machine. Piratebay.se's site does not seem to have a good recent copy of the same, as they all seem old and blacklisted copies. I'll have to check out the warez in Thailand next time I'm there. You an pick up a semi-legal, shrink wrapped copy of Windows 7, complete with key and jewel case, for around US $5. Some of them even say "Not for export outside of Thailand", LOL.

RL

Arne Vajhøj

Thanks Arne, that's EXACTLY what I plan to do. But I have to find a
semi-legal copy of Windows 7 so I can start another virtual machine.
Piratebay.se's site does not seem to have a good recent copy of the
same, as they all seem old and blacklisted copies. I'll have to
check out the warez in Thailand next time I'm there. You an pick up
a semi-legal, shrink wrapped copy of Windows 7, complete with key and
jewel case, for around US $5. Some of them even say "Not for export
outside of Thailand", LOL.

I don't think that is "semi-legal".

I think it is "illegal". Period.

And it could be criminal is some jurisdictions.

Arne

mick

"RayLopez99" wrote in message

VS versions are supposed to coexist.

And I have successfully had 2005, 2008 and 2010 on the same system.

It would surprise me if 2010 and 2012 did not coexist just fine as well.

But if you are concerned, then install 2012 in a VM until you feel

comfortable switching completely.

Arne
Thanks Arne, that's EXACTLY what I plan to do. But I have to find a semi-legal
copy of Windows 7 so I can start >another virtual machine. Piratebay.se's site
does not seem to have a good recent copy of the same, as they all >seem old and
blacklisted copies. I'll have to check out the warez in Thailand next time I'm
there. You an pick up a >semi-legal, shrink wrapped copy of Windows 7,
complete with key and jewel case, for around US $5. Some of them >even say
"Not for export outside of Thailand", LOL.

What makes it 'semi - legal'? What does that even mean? Is it just a conscience
appeasing sop:)

mick

Arne Vajhøj

I don't think that is "semi-legal".

I think it is "illegal". Period.

And it could be criminal is some jurisdictions.

And why not use Express Edition.

It is legal to use!

Arne

RayLopez99

And why not use Express Edition.

It is legal to use!

Arne

I don't think (last I checked, yesterday) that the Express Edition exists yet for Visual Studio 2012.

I am so happy so far with VS 2012 Pro I might even buy a US copy for the full $500--it does seem to run faster. It's a bit different from earlier versions and some of my programs don't work when ported to .NET 4.5, but goingforward I will probably switch to VS 12. However, it does seem to still be 'green' and I would wait six months unless you have to make the switch now, so they can iron out the kinks with a service pack.

RL

RayLopez99

What makes it 'semi - legal'? What does that even mean?
Is it just a conscience

appeasing sop:)

I'm not a lawyer so I cannot tell you, but am familiar with legal argumentsand one of them that works in practice is ignorance of the law being an excuse (at least for sentencing). It's known as the "pure heart and empty head" defense. What you say is: "I bought this software copy in a store in Korea/Russia/Indochina/Thailand and it was shrink-wrapped and in a jewel case, with legitimate looking logos on it (some of them even have authentic looking holograms), so I thought and believe it is legal". That's what I would say. Actually once I was stopped by Greek customs police and asked about counterfeit Chinese goods, mostly designer knock-off clothes. I told them (and it helped that I could speak Greek) that it was all gifts and cheap stuff not worth much. They wanted me to pay customs tax, it was not so much about counterfeiting. In the UK they give you a hard time (and have given me a hard time, even when transporting small amounts of cigarettes for a friend), and the US is a mixed bag--I've heard of customs giving tourists ahard time, and I've been subjecting to one of those 'random intensive interrogation' sessions that are done apparently as training sessions where they go through your stuff with a fine-tooth comb, but in general I've not hadany problems with US customs vis-a-vis nominally counterfeit goods. That said, I once read the son of Sci-Fi author Asimov got busted for having legitimate adult porn on his PC (not kiddie porn either). So encrypt your hard drive and then pretend you don't remember the password...what can they do? I guess confiscate your machine until you remember the password?

RL

Jeff Gaines

So encrypt your hard drive and then pretend you don't remember the
password...what can they do? I guess confiscate your machine until you
remember the password?

In the UK 'they' will put you in clink until you remember.

Arne Vajhøj

[...]

I think most of these excuses have been tried before.

And in countries with strict enforcement of IP rights
I don't think they will work.

Arne

alex

If you for some reason do not like VS Express then try SharpDevelop.

Newest version support .NET 4.5 and C# 5.0.

It is a great IDE.

And it is also free to use (legally!).

Arne

AFAIK the newNR branch of SD which supports 4.5 is not in good shape yet, most annoyingly the visual designers are disabled.
Or do you have better experience?

Arne Vajhøj

AFAIK the newNR branch of SD which supports 4.5 is not in good shape
yet, most annoyingly the visual designers are disabled.
Or do you have better experience?

I use 4.2.1 (build 8805).

I works with .NET 4.5 and C# 5.0.

Win forms designer works fine.

And a quick test shows that WPF designer seems to work as well.

Arne

RayLopez99

I down-loaded and installed it a few days ago.

--

Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

You are a professional, not a hobbyist like me, Jeff. So why not get the Pro version like I'm using?

BTW--notice nobody is selling it--not Newegg yet, only a few (flaky?) merchants on eBay, aside from Microsoft itself.

RL

RayLopez99

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:52:29 AM UTC-4, RayLopez99 wrote:

I am on the evaluation period of Visual Studio 2012, just released last month, and I like it and might buy it. The official price if you download itfrom Microsoft is about $500 or so, but at Newegg they don't have it yet, while eBay has one merchant who is selling it for $350 or so. But his reputation is new--meaning he's only made a couple of dozen sales. So, are hiswares pirated? If so, how did they crack Visual Studio 2012 so quickly?

I'll wait a bit and next time I'm in the Third World look to see if I can get a "Thailand" copy. But fear not strong IP advocates--I might actually buy a Microsoft official copy only because I like to set up several virtual machines, with slightly different tweaks to Visual Studio, and run several instantiations of it at the same time (also useful for debugging). So I will throw some money Microsoft's way since I like to support creators of works that I like.

RL

alex

AFAIK the newNR branch of SD which supports 4.5 is not in good shape
I use 4.2.1 (build 8805).

I works with .NET 4.5 and C# 5.0.

Win forms designer works fine.

And a quick test shows that WPF designer seems to work as well.

Arne

Thanks,
Indeed it works. I've not seen that option because on the machine I use most, does not have .net 4.5.

Jeff Gaines

You are a professional, not a hobbyist like me, Jeff. So why not get the
Pro version like I'm using?

You're too kind :)
I'm a hobbyist, been writing programs for fun since I had a Vic20.

RayLopez99

Thanks, but looking at the website for VS Express here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-products I notice they have four flavors, Web, Windows, Desktop and Foundation Server. Since Irun SQL Server 2008, I am not sure the Express version will run this version of SQL Server (let me know what you think). Also I guess the "Web" flavor is what is known as ASP.NET in VS 12 Pro, and the Desktop is WPF. Whereis Silverlight? Is it a separate add on? It's all very confusing.

With VS 2012 Professional it's all "in one package" and you only have to choose during "NEW | PROJECT" then select what you want to do, from Windows Forms, to WPF, to Console to Silverlight to ASP, etc. Do they break it up in Express into four different software modules that have four different Visual Studio IDEs?

RL

Arne Vajhøj

Thanks, but looking at the website for VS Express here:
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-products
I notice they have four flavors, Web, Windows, Desktop and Foundation
Server. Since I run SQL Server 2008, I am not sure the Express
version will run this version of SQL Server (let me know what you
think). Also I guess the "Web" flavor is what is known as ASP.NET in
VS 12 Pro, and the Desktop is WPF. Where is Silverlight? Is it a
separate add on? It's all very confusing.

Web edition supports:

ASP.NET web forms
ASP.NET MVC
WCF