Visual studio 2005 Backward compatibility

Is there a way to work on visual studio 2003 projects using visual studio
2005 without converting, maintaining original code?

Thanks
AM

Jesse Houwing

Hello AM,
Is there a way to work on visual studio 2003 projects using visual
studio 2005 without converting, maintaining original code?

Officially: No. The upcoming 2008 release of Visual Studio will support this
for framework versions 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. Microsoft calls it multi-targetting.
The reason for not supporting version 1.0 and 1.1 of the .NET framework in
2005 (and 2008 for that matter) is that due to extensive changes to the Common
Language Runtime they would need to provide 2 seperate versions of many of
the parts that make up visual studio (COM wrapper generation, Debugging,
ASP.NET Designer etc).

As far as I can tell Microsoft will not release a version of Visual Studio
that will target the 1.x versions of the framework at all. There is an unsupported
add-in for visual studio 2005 though, called MsBee, which allows MsBuild
to compile using the 1.1 compiler. I haven't used it till now, but it might
do the trick for you.

Jesse

Thanks Jesse

Jesse Houwing said:
[...]

Matt F

I got pointed to this link when I asked the same question recently. Haven't
actually implemented it yet, so I'd be curious to see how it goes.

All indications are that it should work just fine, but converting an
existing app targeting 1.1 framework to a VS2005 solution is a one way
street - so I'm being extra cautious with this one.

http://blogs.msdn.com/yaleeyangmsbl...g-visual-studio-2005-that-target-net-1-1.aspx You go first and let me know how it goes. :)"AM" <[email protected]> wrote in messageIs there a way to work on visual studio 2003 projects using visual studio> 2005 without converting, maintaining original code?>>> Thanks> AM>