Vista64 crashing with 4GB

RaidenSix

Hi all,

I can't seem to get my Vista64 install to boot with 4GB. Everytime I put in
the other 2GB, it crashes on boot. I've tried the following:

1. Set RAM command rate to 2T, 333Mhz
2. set the PAE to forcenable
3. installed the 929777 KB patch
4. installed lates nforce4 64bit drivers

The same set up worked with 32bit Vista which of course, only saw about
3.2GB of the RAM.

Here's my set up:

Abit AN8 Fatality
AMD 4200+X2 (939)
4x1GB G Skill PC3200 RAM
Evga 7800GT
3Ware 9500 RAID card
2x 320GB Seagate Hard Drives

Would appreciate any help.

thanks.

DP

Performed any tests on the RAM?
I know you said it worked on XP, but a memory test probably wouldn't be a
bad idea anyway.

Lang Murphy

"Everytime I put in the other 2GB, it crashes on boot."

Hmm.. having zero experience with x64 Vista, and not knowing your RAM
specifics, I can only ask have you tried using just the "other" 2GB? IOW,
have you tried both sets of 2GB's separately?

Lang

RaidenSix

Both 2GB are paired G Skill 2x1GB PC3200 RAM. It'll boot with either pair
but not with both.
With both pairs, it will get as far as the green bar and then restart after
which you will get the
Windows crashed screen with the safe mode options. It also will not boot
into safe mode.
Also, I ran memtest overnight with 4GB and no errors found.

Viscount

That's complete BS, one of the main points of the 64 bit version is being
able to use more RAM. All your DIMMs are exactly the same and all the same
size, and they all work seperately, so the "test your RAM" and "bad RAM"
people should STFU. Obviously the extended RAM support of Vista 64 doesn't
work.

Try Windows XP 64 bit.

Remove 2GB and install Vista and then the nVidia chipset drivers version 15.
You can then replace the additional 2GB and the machine should accept the
full 4GB.

I have had to do this on 2 nForce 4 boards to get Vista installed with 4GB
of RAM.

Lang Murphy

Yeah, that's a helpful post. NOT.

Lang