Vista/WMI error

Bob Weiner

This is a repost. I wasn't using Technet before and am hoping that someone
"in the know" will be able to help track down this problem. Probably if #1
gets cleared up, the others will take care of themselves.

Thank you
------

I am having a few issues with my vista machine.

1. WMI is not functioning properly. I saw some postings about permissions;
in particular people were putting their network service account in the
administrators group. I don't care for that solution. I deleted the
repository directory, cycled WMI service and then checked the permissions on
the recreated directory; they are:

C:\Windows\System32\wbem\repository
BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F

I'm pretty sure that is not right although I'm not sure what it should be.
Will simply changing the permissions fix the problem or will it still exist
because the service is creating it incorrectly?

This is the most important of the issues since it impacts a great many
processes on Vista. I cannot start File and Print sharing (my network
interface reports as "Unknown - No such interface supported"), the SQL
Config. Mgr doesn't start, several other processes are impacted. This
particular problem makes Vista less than functional.

2. The task manager will not start. When I attempt to do so I get the error
message, "The system cannot find the file c:\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe."
The file is there and the permissions are:

C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe
NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:F
BUILTIN\Administrators:R
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:R
BUILTIN\Users:R

3. SP1 - same problem as everyone else. I don't think that I meet any of
the conditions stated in KB 948343 - of course, I'm not sure how to check on
cause 5 - hardware device driver conflict. Why would there not be an
explicit message if it detected an incompatible piece of hardware? And
better, how would the windows update process detect such a problem before
offering me the SP?

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

It seems you have reported three issues within one thread. As the second
and third issues might be related to the first one, let's focus on the
first issue first. After the WMI issue is resolved, the other issues may
also disappear. If they continue, it means that they are unrelated to the
original problem. We can then open new posts to troubleshoot them
efficiently. Thank you for your understanding.

Regarding the first issue, could you please tell me in detail what
operations had you done before the issue occurred?

Meanwhile, please try the following steps to rebuild Repository folder:

1. Right-click Command Prompt, and Run as Administrator.

2. Type (or Copy and Paste) the following commands, pressing Enter after
each one:

net stop winmgmt
cd %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt

This will rebuild the Repository, and by extension, rebuild the Vista
Security Center.
You may have to restart your computer to see a change.

After the Repository folder has been rebuilt, please follow the below steps
to test WMI:

1. Click Start, click Run, type wmimgmt.msc, and then click OK.

2. Right-click WMI Control (Local), and then click Properties.

If the WMI service is configured correctly, the WMI Control will connect to
WMI and display the Properties dialog box. On the General tab, you should
see information about the operating system and the version of WMI. Please
let me know if this works well.

3. Click Start -> Run, type "wbemtest" (without the quotation mark), and
click OK.

4. Click Connect.

5. Type "root\cimv2" (without the quotation mark) in the "Namespace" text
box, and click "Connect".

6. Click "Enumerate Classes¡­", and choose "Recursive", and click OK.

7. In the list of query result, double click "Win32_CDROMDrive" item to
open Win32_CDROMDrive object editor.

8. Click the "Instances" button.

Please check whether you receive any error messages. If so, please let us
know the exact error WORD BY WORD.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "Bob Weiner" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Vista/WMI error
| Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 16:03:55 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| This is a repost. I wasn't using Technet before and am hoping that
someone
| "in the know" will be able to help track down this problem. Probably if
| gets cleared up, the others will take care of themselves.
|
| Thank you
| ------
|

| I am having a few issues with my vista machine.
|
| 1. WMI is not functioning properly. I saw some postings about
permissions;
| in particular people were putting their network service account in the
| administrators group. I don't care for that solution. I deleted the
| repository directory, cycled WMI service and then checked the permissions
on
| the recreated directory; they are:
|
| C:\Windows\System32\wbem\repository
| BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
| NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
|
| I'm pretty sure that is not right although I'm not sure what it should be.
| Will simply changing the permissions fix the problem or will it still
exist
| because the service is creating it incorrectly?
|
| This is the most important of the issues since it impacts a great many
| processes on Vista. I cannot start File and Print sharing (my network
| interface reports as "Unknown - No such interface supported"), the SQL
| Config. Mgr doesn't start, several other processes are impacted. This
| particular problem makes Vista less than functional.
|
| 2. The task manager will not start. When I attempt to do so I get the
error
| message, "The system cannot find the file
c:\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe."
| The file is there and the permissions are:
|
| C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe
| NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:F
| BUILTIN\Administrators:R
| NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:R
| BUILTIN\Users:R
|
| 3. SP1 - same problem as everyone else. I don't think that I meet any of
| the conditions stated in KB 948343 - of course, I'm not sure how to check
on
| cause 5 - hardware device driver conflict. Why would there not be an
| explicit message if it detected an incompatible piece of hardware? And
| better, how would the windows update process detect such a problem before
| offering me the SP?

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Dear Customer,

Regarding your last email , I am just check and follow-up on your status.

I was wondering , if you were available to try conduct test and answer my
questions.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

> [...]
| know the exact error WORD BY WORD.
|
| Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.
|
| Sincerely,
| Neo Zhu,
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| =====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Bob Weiner" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Vista/WMI error
| | Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 16:03:55 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| | gets cleared up, the others will take care of themselves.
| |
| | Thank you
| | ------
| |
| |
| | I am having a few issues with my vista machine.
| |
| | 1. WMI is not functioning properly. I saw some postings about
| permissions;
| | in particular people were putting their network service account in the
| | administrators group. I don't care for that solution. I deleted the
| | repository directory, cycled WMI service and then checked the
permissions
| on
| | the recreated directory; they are:
| |
| | C:\Windows\System32\wbem\repository
| | BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
| | NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
| |
| | I'm pretty sure that is not right although I'm not sure what it should
be.
| | Will simply changing the permissions fix the problem or will it still
| exist
| | because the service is creating it incorrectly?
| |
| | This is the most important of the issues since it impacts a great many
| | processes on Vista. I cannot start File and Print sharing (my network
| | interface reports as "Unknown - No such interface supported"), the SQL
| | Config. Mgr doesn't start, several other processes are impacted. This
| | particular problem makes Vista less than functional.
| |
| | 2. The task manager will not start. When I attempt to do so I get the
| error
| | message, "The system cannot find the file
| c:\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe."
| | The file is there and the permissions are:
| |
| | C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe
| | NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:F
| | BUILTIN\Administrators:R
| | NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:R
| | BUILTIN\Users:R
| |
| | 3. SP1 - same problem as everyone else. I don't think that I meet any
of
| | the conditions stated in KB 948343 - of course, I'm not sure how to
check
| on
| | cause 5 - hardware device driver conflict. Why would there not be an
| | explicit message if it detected an incompatible piece of hardware? And
| | better, how would the windows update process detect such a problem
before
| | offering me the SP?
| |
| |