Vista upgrade over OEM XP

I have a laptop with an OEM version of XP home on it. The manufacturer has
said it will only work on this laptop and is not transferable to another
computer.

My question is:- If I upgrade to Vista on this laptop, does this mean that I
cannot transfer it to another computer at a later date? (I have the Product
Key for XP on the laptop.)

Colin Barnhorst

You cannot transfer an OEM XP license to another computer now or at some
future time. You can transfer a retail Vista license to another computer.

DCR

Also, many OEM recovery disks will not install on anything other
than the original computer they came with.

| You cannot transfer an OEM XP license to another computer now or at some
| future time. You can transfer a retail Vista license to another computer.
|
| | >I have a laptop with an OEM version of XP home on it. The manufacturer has
| > said it will only work on this laptop and is not transferable to another
| > computer.
| >
| > My question is:- If I upgrade to Vista on this laptop, does this mean that
| > cannot transfer it to another computer at a later date? (I have the
| > Product
| > Key for XP on the laptop.)

Colin Barnhorst

Apparently, even a lot of the OEM supplied Windows cd's are BIOS locked and
won't either. My wife's Compaq came with an XP cd and a drivers and
utilities cd but the XP cd will only install Windows on her Compaq. My
first clue when I did a rebuild was that it never asked for a product key.

Robert Pendell

Colin said:
Apparently, even a lot of the OEM supplied Windows cd's are BIOS locked
and won't either. My wife's Compaq came with an XP cd and a drivers and
utilities cd but the XP cd will only install Windows on her Compaq. My
first clue when I did a rebuild was that it never asked for a product key.

Of course I have found that to not be the case for all manufacturer's
computers. My Dell computer came with an OEM Windows XP MCE disc. It
will install on a different system and it is pre-activated too. Or so
it seemed anyways. I did this in a VM so the bios would of been
completely different.

Richard G. Harper

That is correct. An OEM copy of Windows XP lives, and dies, with the
machine it's installed on and is not transferable.

Your copy of Vista may be transferable to another computer depending on
where and how you get it. If it comes from the laptop manufacturer then it
likely will not transfer. If you buy a retail upgrade package then you can
uninstall Vista from your laptop and install it onto another computer.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

mikeyhsd

NOT true Richard.
same thing goes for XP, depends on where and how the OEM xp was acquired.
if it came pre-installed on a computer it might be true.
if you bought the OEM version separate, then it MIGHT be transferable.
personally I have moved mine to 3 different computers with NO problems.
bought it along with a new hard drive. did not come pre-installed.

(e-mail address removed)

That is correct. An OEM copy of Windows XP lives, and dies, with the
machine it's installed on and is not transferable.

Your copy of Vista may be transferable to another computer depending on
where and how you get it. If it comes from the laptop manufacturer then it
likely will not transfer. If you buy a retail upgrade package then you can
uninstall Vista from your laptop and install it onto another computer.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

Jim

That is correct.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

If you bought the OS with hardware then strictly speaking it is tied
to that hardware. So if you buy it with a hard drive then it is
tehnically licensed to that hard drive.

Jim

Visualspirit said:
I have a laptop with an OEM version of XP home on it. The manufacturer has
said it will only work on this laptop and is not transferable to another
computer.

My question is:- If I upgrade to Vista on this laptop, does this mean that
cannot transfer it to another computer at a later date? (I have the
Product
Key for XP on the laptop.)

Alias

Jim said:
That is correct.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

If you bought the OS with hardware then strictly speaking it is tied
to that hardware. So if you buy it with a hard drive then it is
tehnically licensed to that hard drive.

Jim

False. The hard drive was not a requirement to buy a generic OEM version
of XP, nor is any other hardware a requirement for that matter. I just
bought a copy of a generic OEM from NewEgg and bought NOTHING ELSE!
Where do you get this mis-information, your imagination?

A copy of a generic OEM XP is tied to the first *computer* it is
installed on and the hardware on the computer can be upgraded as much as
one's little heart desires.

Alias

Visualspirit said:
I have a laptop with an OEM version of XP home on it. The manufacturer has
said it will only work on this laptop and is not transferable to another
computer.

My question is:- If I upgrade to Vista on this laptop, does this mean that
cannot transfer it to another computer at a later date? (I have the
Product
Key for XP on the laptop.)

Jim

False. The hard drive was not a requirement to buy a generic OEM version
of XP, nor is any other hardware a requirement for that matter. I just
bought a copy of a generic OEM from NewEgg and bought NOTHING ELSE!

Where do you get this mis-information, your imagination?

My my, Santa didn't bring you any vouchers for lessons at charm-school
did he. Are you always so rude?

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/licensing/oem.mspx

Quoted directly from the OEM System Builder website:

Q. The current System Builder license states that I may distribute an
operating system license with a non-peripheral hardware component.
What hardware components are considered non-peripheral

A. A non-peripheral hardware component is a hardware component that is
considered to be essential to running a computer system, and includes
components such as memory, internal devices and drives, mice,
keyboards, and power supplies. Examples of components that are not
considered essential are external modems, networking devices, cameras,
printers, and scanners.

You're boring me now, so please don't bother replying to this
discussion as it's now closed. Oh, this link might be useful for you
too:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Charm+School

Jim

[...]

William

When I bought my two Gateway computers in October 2002, each on came with a Windows XP disk. Every time I clean out the hard drives and re-install Windows XP on each computer using the disk that it came with, XP installs already activated.

Strictly speaking, it maybe that the activation is tied to the hardware, and not the OS. I have installed, but not activated the same disk in a vmware workstation. I later deleted that virtual computer.

Jim said:
My my, Santa didn't bring you any vouchers for lessons at charm-school
did he. Are you always so rude?

What was rude? This should be good. You are misinforming people on this
newsgroup and should be taken to task for trying to fool people.
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/licensing/oem.mspx

Quoted directly from the OEM System Builder website:

What does that have to do with me, an end user?
Q. The current System Builder license states that I may distribute an
operating system license with a non-peripheral hardware component.
What hardware components are considered non-peripheral

I'm not "distributing" anything to anyone.
A. A non-peripheral hardware component is a hardware component that is
considered to be essential to running a computer system, and includes
components such as memory, internal devices and drives, mice,
keyboards, and power supplies. Examples of components that are not
considered essential are external modems, networking devices, cameras,
printers, and scanners.

Yawn, not on the EULA of the XP Pro I bought. I am not a systems
builder. On one computer of mine, I replaced/updated everything but the
case and the generic OEM Home activated on line with no problems.
You're boring me now, so please don't bother replying to this
discussion as it's now closed. Oh, this link might be useful for you
too:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Charm+School

Jim

Translation:

Jim doesn't like to be wrong and will insult you with all his "charm" if
you point out his mistakes.

Alias
[...]

An OEM license is not transferrable. You may have a choice of what machine you install it on initially, but once installed it is not transferrable to a second machine. The piece of hardware purchased with the OEM copy is not relevant. The piece of hardware allowed the vendor to meet a sales requirement but is not part of the EULA. Moving such a piece of hardware does not entitle you to move the license. That you have transferred an OEM copy to a new machine just means that you are out of compliance.

Colin said:
An OEM license is not transferrable. You may have a choice of what
machine you install it on initially, but once installed it is not
transferrable to a second machine. The piece of hardware purchased with
the OEM copy is not relevant. The piece of hardware allowed the vendor
to meet a sales requirement but is not part of the EULA.

And is no longer a requirement to sell a generic OEM XP. I just bought
one from NewEgg and bought no hardware.

Moving such a
piece of hardware does not entitle you to move the license. That you
have transferred an OEM copy to a new machine just means that you are
out of compliance.

Of course, MS doesn't define what a "new machine" is so one can upgrade
the first computer running a generic OEM XP as much as one wants to.

Alias
"mikeyhsd" <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
wrote in message NOT true Richard.
same thing goes for XP, depends on where and how the OEM xp was
acquired.
if it came pre-installed on a computer it might be true.
if you bought the OEM version separate, then it MIGHT be transferable.
personally I have moved mine to 3 different computers with NO problems.
bought it along with a new hard drive. did not come pre-installed.

(e-mail address removed) <mailto:[email protected]>

"Richard G. Harper" <[email protected]
That is correct. An OEM copy of Windows XP lives, and dies,
with the
machine it's installed on and is not transferable.

Your copy of Vista may be transferable to another computer
depending on
where and how you get it. If it comes from the laptop
manufacturer then it
likely will not transfer. If you buy a retail upgrade package
then you can
uninstall Vista from your laptop and install it onto another
computer.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)
<mailto:[email protected]>

"Visualspirit" <[email protected]
I have a laptop with an OEM version of XP home on it. The manufacturer has
said it will only work on this laptop and is not transferable to another
computer.

My question is:- If I upgrade to Vista on this laptop, does this mean that
cannot transfer it to another computer at a later date? (I have the
Product
Key for XP on the laptop.)

mikeyhsd

if that were true, the MS would not authenticate it each time.

(e-mail address removed)

[...]

Lucvdv

Alias said:
False. The hard drive was not a requirement to buy a generic OEM version
of XP, nor is any other hardware a requirement for that matter. I just
bought a copy of a generic OEM from NewEgg and bought NOTHING ELSE!

Let me put it the way MS lawyers would say it: you're using an illegal
copy of XP (bad), and trying to convince other people to do the same
(worse).

You, as an end user, shouldn't even be able to buy an OEM license
without any hardware, and any OEM licenses sold and used that way are
NOT valid.

MS is actively hunting down companies that sell OEM licenses
separately and dragging them to court. Why else do you think you only
find them in spammed offers, and not at serious resellers (at least
not without a hardware purchase)?
Where do you get this mis-information, your imagination?

You're the one that's misinformed.

Colin Barnhorst

Correct. But many posting here bought OEM XP when a piece of cabling or
some dead memory stick was still being used to qualify the sale and think
that moving the piece of hardware matters. If the activation applet decides
that the changes to the hardware are out of tolerance then that definition
of what is a 'new machine' is what matters. That requires a call to the
activation center and the outcome is not certain.

Colin Barnhorst

Out-of-compliance still has some holes. That does not justify doing it. WGA is evolving to close the holes. The database is increasingly sensitive to out of compliance in these ways as well.
[...]

Paul-B

Lucvdv said:
MS is actively hunting down companies that sell OEM licenses
separately and dragging them to court. Why else do you think you only
find them in spammed offers, and not at serious resellers (at least
not without a hardware purchase)?

Do try not to be so USA-centric.

There are literally hundreds of Microsoft-registered OEM Software
companies here in the UK who are happy to sell OEM software... here's
just one for you:

http://www.bluesolutions.co.uk/

They don't sell hardware, just the software, completely legitimately.

Microsoft have never "dragged" any European seller to court, their case
would be, rightly, kicked-out.

Just the reverse, in fact. At present Microsoft have been fineed
millions of dollars right here in Europe because of their
anti-competitive practices.

Richard G. Harper

I refuse to debate what can or cannot PHYSICALLY be done, or what has been
done in the past.

Then as now, as soon as you installed that OEM copy onto any given hardware,
it LEGALLY became part of that hardware and should have stayed with that
hardware no matter what you could or could not do.