Vista Ultimate: Unable to Locate Drivers

?

Windows Vista Ultimate: Activated, Installed latest updates: None
pending.....
I am unable to get my pc to recognize anyhardware that I'm connecting to it.
My laptop which is XP Pro is detecting and automatically installing drivers
for the hardware (Ipod, Thumbdrive, Sony Camera, Printer) without any
hassles.
However, Vista Ult keeps asking me if I have the software that came with my
hardware!!! ????
Did I upgrade or downgrade?
Please help me out to find a solution.
Prior I've asked this question regarding my Ipod, but now I'm convinced it
has something to do with the OS since other hardware isn't installing
either.

Thank you in advance.
Gino.

Rick Rogers

Hi,

Device drivers are still provided by the device manufacturer. While there
are many in Vista, not every manufacturer supplied them. When you attach a
device, Vista checks to see if it has an appropriate drive in its database.
If it doesn't, it prompts the user for one from the manufacturer. XP Pro, by
the way, would not have had an iPod driver or one for the camera in most
instances. These are normally added by the software installation the user
does when first connecting the device. This process has not changed for
Vista, vendor supplied software should be installed before attaching the
device.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

?

I remember connecting my Ipod to XP Pro without installing Itunes to charge
it and XP Pro automatically found the driviers and installed the Ipod. I
never had to install any software for Sony camera(DSC-P10: does not require
software installation), all of my thumbdrives and usb memory devices were
installed without drivers.
The reason I don't use the software is because I do not want extra programs
that come with the device.
So, No, I haven't installed any software before connecting any of my
hardware.
Gino

Paul Randall

Hi, Gino
I think you are saying that for new devices, when possible, WXP would give
you generic access to the device even though it was not always 'the best
possible'. And you were happy with it.

Rick is saying that Vista gives you NO access unless it thinks it is the
best possible.

I think you are right - there is something about your installation that is
not giving you the generic access Vista is capable of. My cheapo Compaq
Vista Basic has recognized and given me access to all the USB devices I've
plugged into it, including DVD writer, thumb drives, compact flash card & SD
card readers, and floppy drive without my having to install any drivers.

-Paul Randall

Steve K.

... said:
Windows Vista Ultimate: Activated, Installed latest updates: None
pending.....
I am unable to get my pc to recognize anyhardware that I'm connecting
to it. My laptop which is XP Pro is detecting and automatically
installing drivers for the hardware (Ipod, Thumbdrive, Sony Camera,
Printer) without any hassles.

That's because XP worked great if you kept your system clean and didn't
surf to malicious sites. (Vista is just as susceptible to such things.)
However, Vista Ult keeps asking me if I have the software that came
with my hardware!!! ????
Did I upgrade or downgrade?

You basically downgraded to a slower, bloated OS with more bugs than an
ant colony. If XP worked wel lfro you stick with it and don't bother
with Vista.
Please help me out to find a solution.

Return Vista and get your money back and stay with XP. Rushing into
Vista now is just a bad idea.
Prior I've asked this question regarding my Ipod, but now I'm
convinced it has something to do with the OS since other hardware
isn't installing either.

You'd think iPods would work just fine, considering how _advanced_ Vista
is _supposed_ to be. Yet it's one problem after another with this OS.

You may also want to read this:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Gino

Your XP installation had 5-6 years worth of "XP compatible" drivers already
in the XP installation.

Vista is a totally new operating system and requires different "Vista
compatible" drivers.

It will take a while for the device manufacturers to build all of these
drivers and submit them to Microsoft for inclusion into Vista.

The first thing you need to do is start checking the websites of the
manufacturers for the devices you are plugging into the system to check for
Vista Compatible drivers.

Saran

Ronnie said:
Gino

Your XP installation had 5-6 years worth of "XP compatible" drivers
already in the XP installation.

Vista is a totally new operating system and requires different "Vista
compatible" drivers.

It will take a while for the device manufacturers to build all of
these drivers and submit them to Microsoft for inclusion into Vista.

The first thing you need to do is start checking the websites of the
manufacturers for the devices you are plugging into the system to
check for Vista Compatible drivers.

It's inexcusable that such an -advanced-Os cannot deal with such things
which should be trivial for it. Or maybe it's not so advanced?

-saran

Rick Rogers

You're blaming the wrong entity on this one. While Microsoft does write and
provide some drivers for the OS, the majority are done by the device
manufacturer. If they failed to supply drivers in time to have them
certified and included, then that isn't Microsoft's fault, it's theirs.
You'd be surprised at the number of device makers that wait until the OS is
out before bothering to write and release drivers (if they do at all), even
though the design specifications have been in place for several years (and
Vista's most certainly were).

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

?

There AREN'T any drivers for Ipods. If there are then please point to a url.
You're stating that Vista is new to getting the drivers from manufacturers.
I was hoping some generic drivers for a thumb drive or camera or printer
would be enough to get me started.
FYI: I've checked the manufacturer's websites and all state that Vista
should recognize my hardware automatically, and I should download the
"extra" software that I don't desire if I wanted.
Thanks again.
Gino

When Windows asks to provide a driver select browse my computer and point to
the windows folder. Sometimes the normal driver seach doesn't work.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Gino,
If the problem is generic for a number of devices you may have a corrupted
infcache.1 file.
For example most thumbdrives should just work witout additional drivers and
that was one of your examples.
You may want to try the QFE referenced in this article.
937187 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in
Windows Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver
software for your device"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;937187

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: " ..." <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Vista Ultimate: Unable to Locate Drivers
|> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:34:25 -0700
|> Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.v
ista.general

|> There AREN'T any drivers for Ipods. If there are then please point to a
url.
|> You're stating that Vista is new to getting the drivers from
manufacturers.
|> I was hoping some generic drivers for a thumb drive or camera or printer
|> would be enough to get me started.
|> FYI: I've checked the manufacturer's websites and all state that Vista
|> should recognize my hardware automatically, and I should download the
|> "extra" software that I don't desire if I wanted.
|> Thanks again.
|> Gino

|> > Your XP installation had 5-6 years worth of "XP compatible" drivers
|> > already in the XP installation.
|> >
|> > Vista is a totally new operating system and requires different "Vista
|> > compatible" drivers.
|> >
|> > It will take a while for the device manufacturers to build all of
these
|> > drivers and submit them to Microsoft for inclusion into Vista.
|> >
|> > The first thing you need to do is start checking the websites of the
|> > manufacturers for the devices you are plugging into the system to
check
|> > for Vista Compatible drivers.
|> >

|> > --
|> >
|> > Ronnie Vernon
|> > Microsoft MVP
|> > Windows Shell/User

without

Saran

Rick said:
You're blaming the wrong entity on this one. While Microsoft does
write and provide some drivers for the OS, the majority are done by
the device manufacturer. If they failed to supply drivers in time to
have them certified and included, then that isn't Microsoft's fault,

True, but it IS Microsoft's duty to help these device drivers as much as
possible, in order to release them i nthe first place, is it not? You'd
think so considering how bad they're pushing Vista.
it's theirs. You'd be surprised at the number of device makers that
wait until the OS is out before bothering to write and release
drivers (if they do at all), even though the design specifications
have been in place for several years (and Vista's most certainly
were).

While 3rd parties write the actual drivers, it's up to the Os to provide
some way of assisting them in doing that (a dev kit that works proper at
the very least, for example.)

-saran

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Saran

I understand your frustration.

Microsoft has always had one of the best developer support divisions in the
world. MSDN (Microsoft Developers Network) is huge and they have an endless
list of resources available for developers. With Vista, this support has
been in place since before the first beta version of Vista was released. The
developers always have access to new OS releases starting at the Alpha
stage.

If you search the MSDN website for "Vista" you'll get almost a million hits.

MSDN Enhanced Search:
http://search.msdn.microsoft.com/se...nd=msdn&locale=en-us&refinement=00&lang=en-us

Rick Rogers

Hi Saran,
True, but it IS Microsoft's duty to help these device drivers as much as
possible, in order to release them i nthe first place, is it not? You'd
think so considering how bad they're pushing Vista.
While 3rd parties write the actual drivers, it's up to the Os to provide
some way of assisting them in doing that (a dev kit that works proper at
the very least, for example.)

But that's the rub. These resources have been available for nearly three
years prior to Vista's release. I'm happy to fault Microsoft when they drop
the ball, but they didn't on this one. Alpha's and DDK's have been out since
WinHEC 2003, so manufacturers really have no excuse outside of their own
decisions to put off the development of necessary drivers. As mentioned in
other threads, this is always a low priority for them, as there is no real
profit involved in doing so, it is considered merely a support issue. Most
concentrate efforts on new product development, and would prefer to attract
users to these rather than expend efforts supporting the legacy devices.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Saran

Rick said:
Hi Saran,

But that's the rub. These resources have been available for nearly
three years prior to Vista's release. I'm happy to fault Microsoft
when they drop the ball, but they didn't on this one. Alpha's and
DDK's have been out since WinHEC 2003, so manufacturers really have
no excuse outside of their own decisions to put off the development
of necessary drivers. As mentioned in other threads, this is always a
low priority for them, as there is no real profit involved in doing
so, it is considered merely a support issue. Most concentrate efforts
on new product development, and would prefer to attract users to
these rather than expend efforts supporting the legacy devices.
--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

But many things changed in Vista over the course of developement, right?
Did Microsoft help developers keep up with the changes? I'd think if
they did you wouldn't have suc ha bad situation with drivers. I'd think
that it's more Microsoft's fault with the drivers for not making things
easier for them; again this seems to come back to how Vista was supposed
to be so advanced yet they ended up just complicating things.

-saran