Vista to XP Downgrade Rights?

G

Does anyone have a link to any official Microsoft verbage regarding downgrade
rights from Vista to XP Service Pack 2??? I've read alot of information from
the Vista EULA, but that's about as clear as mud.

Thanks in advance.

cheers,

Brian

K

Karen Jane Panze

So you musta have done a Google search? Just FYI

Karen Jane Panze

(Not an MSDN Subscriber) Just FYI

G

I had done quite a few of them before and after my original post. I found
that PDF as I was plowing through the mountian of search results.

C

CH

OK, just to be clear on this. Suppose I buy a Vista Business based PC. I wipe the hard drive, and I toss in the XP Pro OEM CD from a PC I own. I install XP Pro on the new PC, and, when prompted, I enter the number from the XP PC's COA. Obviously, Activation fails, and I have to call the activation number. Assuming the person on the other end acknowledges that I have the right to do what I'm doing, I get activated. Now, two weeks later, I am installing Windows Updates on the old XP machine, and the Windows Genuine Advantage software gets installed. Is it going to reject this PC's license since it is on another PC? What about on the new Vista machine running XP? Is WGA going to cause grief? I just want to be sure that I understand correctly and that I can still use the old PC from whence the XP license number came. Thanks!

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

R

Richard in AZ

OK, just to be clear on this. Suppose I buy a Vista Business based PC. I wipe the hard drive,
and I toss in the XP Pro OEM CD from a PC I own. I install XP Pro on the new PC, and, when
prompted, I enter the number from the XP PC's COA. Obviously, Activation fails, and I have to
call the activation number. Assuming the person on the other end acknowledges that I have the
right to do what I'm doing, I get activated. Now, two weeks later, I am installing Windows
Updates on the old XP machine, and the Windows Genuine Advantage software gets installed. Is it
going to reject this PC's license since it is on another PC? What about on the new Vista machine
running XP? Is WGA going to cause grief? I just want to be sure that I understand correctly and
that I can still use the old PC from whence the XP license number came. Thanks!

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Short answer: NO

If you use the old XP software on the new PC, you are required to remove it from the old PC.

One copy per machine. Each PC must have its own license. That is what you agreed to when you
accepted the license.

C

Charles W Davis

The OEM XP is forever chained to the original machine! You may not "toss in
the OEM CD" to your new Vista machine. You may (I wouldn't) wipe the Vista
machines drive and install a retail version of XP. Your Vista system that
came with your new machine is forever locked to the new machine. That is the
nature of OEM.
in message news:[email protected]...

B

Bruce Chambers

CH said:
OK, just to be clear on this. Suppose I buy a Vista Business based PC. I wipe the hard drive, and I toss in the XP Pro OEM CD from a PC I own. I install XP Pro on the new PC, ...

Commiting software piracy and breach of contract in the process...
... and, when prompted, I enter the number from the XP PC's COA. Obviously, Activation fails, and I have to call the activation number. Assuming the person on the other end acknowledges that I have the right to do what I'm doing,

Which won't happen unless you also lie to said individual about the
circumstances requiring the activation....
... I get activated. Now, two weeks later, I am installing Windows Updates on the old XP machine, and the Windows Genuine Advantage software gets installed. Is it going to reject this PC's license since it is on another PC?

Hopefully. That is, after all, part of its purpose.

What about on the new Vista machine running XP? Is WGA going to cause grief?

If it works correctly, yes.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

Ask a Question