Vista system file check problems!

This is maddening! I had posted a problem with png in Vista. I believe that
it is causing graphic display problems with IE7. One reply suggested that I
use my installation disk and run the system file check utility (sfc /scannow)
to repair what may be a corrupted file. I inserted the Vista installation
disk and rebooted my system, eventually the "repair" prompt menu appeared. I
selected the cmd prompt which then launched the command window. I then
entered sfc /scannow, and within a few seconds received the following error
message, "windows resource protection could not perform the requested
operation". Believe me, I am not one who throws up his hands in utter
despair, but - as much as I hate to admit it, Vista is about to give me a
thorough beat down! There just has to be an easier way to fix a corrupted or
missing system file in Vista! I consider myself to have above average
experience with operating systems, and I am freaking out! I can't imagine
what this must be like for the average PC user with Vista installed trying to
find satisfaction with a problem issue! My prayers go out to them! Please
someone help!

Frankster

This is maddening! I had posted a problem with png in Vista. I believe
that
it is causing graphic display problems with IE7.

Post the problem again. Sounds more like a video driver to me.

-Frank

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Please send me the cbs.log file from the c:\windows\logs\cbs folder.
Replacing files in Windows Vista can be a challenge so hopefully this is
one of the protected files that SFC can replace.
Remove the online from my email address when sending me the log file
Compress it please into a zip file.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?QnJhd2x5?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Vista system file check problems!
|>Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:13:08 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>This is maddening! I had posted a problem with png in Vista. I believe
that
|>it is causing graphic display problems with IE7. One reply suggested
that I
|>use my installation disk and run the system file check utility (sfc
/scannow)
|>to repair what may be a corrupted file. I inserted the Vista
installation
|>disk and rebooted my system, eventually the "repair" prompt menu
appeared. I
|>selected the cmd prompt which then launched the command window. I then
|>entered sfc /scannow, and within a few seconds received the following
error
|>message, "windows resource protection could not perform the requested
|>operation". Believe me, I am not one who throws up his hands in utter
|>despair, but - as much as I hate to admit it, Vista is about to give me a
|>thorough beat down! There just has to be an easier way to fix a
corrupted or
|>missing system file in Vista! I consider myself to have above average
|>experience with operating systems, and I am freaking out! I can't
imagine
|>what this must be like for the average PC user with Vista installed
trying to
|>find satisfaction with a problem issue! My prayers go out to them!
Please
|>someone help!

Adam Albright

[...]

I haven't tried, so just a wild guess. Have you turned off UAC first?

Also isn't there another choice to do repair besides from the command
prompt? There used to be in XP, but its been so long since I used it I
forgot. I can't imagine Microsoft would be dumb enough to only include
a command prompt option to do repairs from the OS DVD, there should be
(I hope) another method.

In fact going way back several years I remember once when XP came up
with one of those weird recovered from messages, but said it had to do
something else, forget what but I know I didn't go to no command
prompt. I was actually quite impressed to see one of Windows hidden
commands take over and rebuild the hive or something as it showed a
bunch of stuff go flying by on the screen as it proceeded for the next
twenty minutes to put on quite a show and ended up fixed whatever was
wrong with all but a couple files of countless thousands. I would
assume Vista got smarter, not dumber. Of course we can only hope.

Hello Darrell,

Thank you for responding. I have attempted to email you the CBS log file
for your review, and I did read that you would prefer it sent to you
"offline". Forgive my ignorance, but just how do I do that? I sent it to
you via Outlook, and the email was returned to me. Could you give me a small
tutorial? Thanks again!

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Please send me the cbs.log file from the c:\windows\logs\cbs folder.
Replacing files in Windows Vista can be a challenge so hopefully this is
one of the protected files that SFC can replace.
Remove the online from my email address when sending me the log file
Compress it please into a zip file.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?QnJhd2x5?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Vista system file check problems!
|>Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:13:08 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>This is maddening! I had posted a problem with png in Vista. I believe
that
|>it is causing graphic display problems with IE7. One reply suggested
that I
|>use my installation disk and run the system file check utility (sfc
/scannow)
|>to repair what may be a corrupted file. I inserted the Vista
installation
|>disk and rebooted my system, eventually the "repair" prompt menu
appeared. I
|>selected the cmd prompt which then launched the command window. I then
|>entered sfc /scannow, and within a few seconds received the following
error
|>message, "windows resource protection could not perform the requested
|>operation". Believe me, I am not one who throws up his hands in utter
|>despair, but - as much as I hate to admit it, Vista is about to give me a
|>thorough beat down! There just has to be an easier way to fix a
corrupted or
|>missing system file in Vista! I consider myself to have above average
|>experience with operating systems, and I am freaking out! I can't
imagine
|>what this must be like for the average PC user with Vista installed
trying to
|>find satisfaction with a problem issue! My prayers go out to them!
Please
|>someone help!

MICHAEL

(e-mail address removed)

Remove "online" from the above address,
so that it says @microsoft.com

-Michael

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Please send me the cbs.log file from the c:\windows\logs\cbs folder.
Replacing files in Windows Vista can be a challenge so hopefully this is
one of the protected files that SFC can replace.
Remove the online from my email address when sending me the log file
Compress it please into a zip file.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?QnJhd2x5?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Vista system file check problems!
|>Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:13:08 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>This is maddening! I had posted a problem with png in Vista. I believe
that
|>it is causing graphic display problems with IE7. One reply suggested
that I
|>use my installation disk and run the system file check utility (sfc
/scannow)
|>to repair what may be a corrupted file. I inserted the Vista
installation
|>disk and rebooted my system, eventually the "repair" prompt menu
appeared. I
|>selected the cmd prompt which then launched the command window. I then
|>entered sfc /scannow, and within a few seconds received the following
error
|>message, "windows resource protection could not perform the requested
|>operation". Believe me, I am not one who throws up his hands in utter
|>despair, but - as much as I hate to admit it, Vista is about to give me a
|>thorough beat down! There just has to be an easier way to fix a
corrupted or
|>missing system file in Vista! I consider myself to have above average
|>experience with operating systems, and I am freaking out! I can't
imagine
|>what this must be like for the average PC user with Vista installed
trying to
|>find satisfaction with a problem issue! My prayers go out to them!
Please
|>someone help!

Hello Adam,

Great suggestion, but it actually has nothing to do with the UAC (I have
attempted the procedure with UAC turned off). To run sfc /scannow from your
desktop, you need to open the cmd utility by right clicking on the cmd
launcher in the start menu and selecting "administrator" whereas you can
enter the sfc /command utility to repair or verify system protected files.
This utility has worked fine for me, but has indicated that there are corrupt
files (after completing 98% of the check) which has confirmed my fears. The
problem I am having is using the utility to correct the damaged or missing
files. The utility is ineffective from desktop running as administrator, and
is ineffective inserting the Vista installation disk, rebooting and
initiating the command module. When I attempt it I receive an error message
as follows: "windows resource protection could not perform the requested
operation". I have several people helping me with it, any contribution you
could make would be outstanding! I just hope a solution is reached. I fear
I may have to conduct a clean reinstall my Vista operating system to correct
this problem - I wish to avoid this because my system is set up to dual-boot
both Vista and WinXP. I am sure you can see the dilemma i'm in! Thanks.

Thanks Kue2. The information I have received indicates that sfc /scannow
(system file check) must be run by the administrator.

Kue2 said:
Does SFC have to be run from an elevated command prompt?

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Please send me the cbs.log file from the c:\windows\logs\cbs folder.
Replacing files in Windows Vista can be a challenge so hopefully this is
one of the protected files that SFC can replace.
Remove the online from my email address when sending me the log file
Compress it please into a zip file.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?QnJhd2x5?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Vista system file check problems!
|>Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:13:08 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>This is maddening! I had posted a problem with png in Vista. I believe
that
|>it is causing graphic display problems with IE7. One reply suggested
that I
|>use my installation disk and run the system file check utility (sfc
/scannow)
|>to repair what may be a corrupted file. I inserted the Vista
installation
|>disk and rebooted my system, eventually the "repair" prompt menu
appeared. I
|>selected the cmd prompt which then launched the command window. I then
|>entered sfc /scannow, and within a few seconds received the following
error
|>message, "windows resource protection could not perform the requested
|>operation". Believe me, I am not one who throws up his hands in utter
|>despair, but - as much as I hate to admit it, Vista is about to give me
|>thorough beat down! There just has to be an easier way to fix a
corrupted or
|>missing system file in Vista! I consider myself to have above average
|>experience with operating systems, and I am freaking out! I can't
imagine
|>what this must be like for the average PC user with Vista installed
trying to
|>find satisfaction with a problem issue! My prayers go out to them!
Please
|>someone help!

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Thanks Michael,
for clearing that up. I did get the log file and we are looking at it.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]