Vista Media Center

M

MKR

I have a year old HP laptop with Vista Home Premium. The issues is that Windows Media Center takes about 20 secs. to load which I do not understand why. (On an XP machine it takes only a few secs.) Additionally, when Media Center is shut down the laptop freezes for about 15 secs., then works normal again.
Anyone knows why Media Center behaves like this? (Is it another of many Vista annoyances?)

MKR

T

Tyro

Media Center loads just fine for me and always has. Don't know what issues YOU have on your machine.

Tyro
I have a year old HP laptop with Vista Home Premium. The issues is that Windows Media Center takes about 20 secs. to load which I do not understand why. (On an XP machine it takes only a few secs.) Additionally, when Media Center is shut down the laptop freezes for about 15 secs., then works normal again.
Anyone knows why Media Center behaves like this? (Is it another of many Vista annoyances?)

MKR

C

Charlie Tame

MKR said:
I have a year old HP laptop with Vista Home Premium. The issues is that
Windows Media Center takes about 20 secs. to load which I do not
understand why. (On an XP machine it takes only a few secs.)
Additionally, when Media Center is shut down the laptop freezes for
about 15 secs., then works normal again.
Anyone knows why Media Center behaves like this? (Is it another of many
Vista annoyances?)

MKR

Could be due to the state of the hard disk. Scandisk can help as can
defragmenting. Click on the drive icon properties to find them if you
have not done either recently, however do this when you can allow them a
long time to run.

Frankly I find Media Center to be one of the most reliable functions in
Vista so I hope you find some improvement.

M

MKR

My laptop is a HP with 4GB of RAM, CPU is an AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile T60, 2GHz, FSB 803.7Mhz, 250GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS with 256MB memory.
I guess that this is still a pretty well equipped machine, even though it was not $2000. I defrag regularly and so I do clean up.

MKR

MKR

R

RalfG

Those issues pertain to your own system. Video driver possibly, or something in the installed CODECs, or missing files related to those. Could even be something in the media folders being monitored. MC in XP and Vista are different apps so I wouldn't expect performance to be identical anyway. Vista version takes 14 seconds to load here, 4 secs to close, no freezes - single core CPU, 2GB RAM, ATI HD2400. MediaPortal takes 4 seconds longer to load, after the UAC prompt, so I don't consider MC to be especially slow.

MKR

M

MKR

I guess, I am going to contact HP for support. From all the notes here I conclude that no one has an issue with MC. The idea that it could be a driver or the graphic card seems to point into the right direction.

Thanks for your replies.

MKR

MKR

Ask a Question