_
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:44:58 +0000 (added by
(e-mail address removed))
From this could someone tell me the senders Email Address?

Noozer

Jim Burns said:
After joining this news group I started getting a virus sent to me Its
probable no on in the group but maybe some one could help me find the
sender.

Contact your ISP for internet related problems.

Unless you are looking for help writing a virus in VB.Net, this ain't the
place to be asking about it.

Peter van der Goes

Jim Burns said:
After joining this news group I started getting a virus sent to me Its
probable no on in the group but maybe some one could help me find the
sender.
I have anti-Virus software and its not allowing the virus trough I get
this
message File 'atvu.exe' was infected with virus 'W32.Swen.A@mm' (ID
34162)
When I click the properties of Message I get this
_
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:44:58 +0000 (added by
(e-mail address removed))
From this could someone tell me the senders Email Address?
The common-sense prevention for this sort of annoyance is to *never* use a
real email address in public newsgroups. I suggest you reconfigure your news
account(s) with a bogus address.
Hope this helps.

Jim Burns

The reason I posted in this Group was because I stared reserving the virus
the same day I joined this group.
I get the email with the virus every day now.
I was thinking it could be a spammer watching this group and if so maybe
This is happening to someone else in the group.

Jim Burns

I reconfigured yesterday I didn't know about using a bogus name.
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:44:58 +0000 (added by
(e-mail address removed))
From this could someone tell me the senders Email Address?

Jim Burns said:
The reason I posted in this Group was because I stared reserving the virus
the same day I joined this group.
I get the email with the virus every day now.
I was thinking it could be a spammer watching this group and if so maybe
This is happening to someone else in the group.

And it's still off topic in here. If EVERYONE in here gets that spam they
should ALL be contacting their ISP if they don't know what to do, or asking
in a VIRUS related newsgroup as to what is going on.

If you're allergic to pepperoni do you go to a pizzeria or the doctor to
find out why?

Leythos

The reason I posted in this Group was because I stared reserving the virus
the same day I joined this group.
I get the email with the virus every day now.
I was thinking it could be a spammer watching this group and if so maybe
This is happening to someone else in the group.

There are several reasons for what you are experiencing, here are some
of the common reasons:

Posting with a good email address in the header.

Posting with a full/proper email address in the signature line that is
not munged.

Pissing someone off in the group.

I've had this happen myself in a group, using the email address I post
with - this one is a throw-away, but until that I had never had more
than a couple emails a week to it. The virus senders last about a week
or two and then they get tired.

Jim Burns

Noozer If you don't like my post why are you spending your precious time
replying to a bullshit post like this.

Jim Burns

Nozzer________-
Since I started using the news group thing 2 weeks ago And made the
unforgivable mistake of posting a .net ? in a vb news group
And I don't seem to know all of these posting rules and being I'm not much
on someone telling me what I can or can not post I think Ill just Leave this
Enjoyable experience of News Groups to people like you who seem to know all
the rules Good Bye.

Ken Tucker [MVP]

Hi,

I get the same message quite often. AVG antivirus isnt showing that
it is infected. I think it is a trying to get you to click on the link.
Never open an attachment you do not expect. Keep you antivirus program up
to dtate and get an antispyware program installed.

Free Antivirus that works well.
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

Microsoft Antispywear beta

Ken
--------------------
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:44:58 +0000 (added by
(e-mail address removed))
From this could someone tell me the senders Email Address?

Peter van der Goes

Jim Burns said:
Nozzer________-
Since I started using the news group thing 2 weeks ago And made the
unforgivable mistake of posting a .net ? in a vb news group
And I don't seem to know all of these posting rules and being I'm not much
on someone telling me what I can or can not post I think Ill just Leave
this
Enjoyable experience of News Groups to people like you who seem to know
all
the rules Good Bye.

Jim,
Please don't pre-judge newsgroups, especially Microsoft public newsgroups,
by your early experience here!
We all make mistakes, like posting an article in the "wrong" group, from
time to time. When we do, there is sometimes an unpleasant confrontation
with somebody who sees him/herself as the rulemaker and police squad for a
given group. Nobody posting to this thread has any official authority to
limit or exclude your participation here.
We pride ourselves here on providing positive feedback to questions, even if
that feedback includes a *friendly* suggestion that the information you seek
may be more readily available in a different group.
Yes, you may have erred and you may have had better luck elsewhere, but I
hope that some of the responses here are helpful as well.

Noozer

Since I started using the news group thing 2 weeks ago And made the
unforgivable mistake of posting a .net ? in a vb news group
And I don't seem to know all of these posting rules and being I'm not much
on someone telling me what I can or can not post I think Ill just Leave this
Enjoyable experience of News Groups to people like you who seem to know all
the rules Good Bye.

Feel free to leave. I was not rude to you and if you feel insulted you
should proably learn how to use a computer before you jump in with both
feet.

I simply told you how to find the answer you were looking for.

Cor Ligthert

Peter,

With this message you condemn somebody and are protecting Jim.

I am not used that from you, however I think this message from you is not
the right message on the right time in the right place.

Sometimes things have to be told to newbies in a newsgroups and that is not
pleasant because people think than that you want too be the rule maker and
the police squad for a given group. Therefore it is in my opinion good that
more people do that, what makes from a newsgroup a community.

Although I have as well not to judge, have I not any problem that Jim asked
this in this newsgroup, however as well not with that Noozer tells him that
it is of topic. That Noozer does it in the same tone as I expirience as well
as Jim is used to do in this newsgroup, is in my opinion a natural reaction
for which Noozer can not be convicted.

I make myself as well enough mistakes so this is only to tell you this and
give Noozer not a wrong idea.

Cor

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Peter,

Peter van der Goes said:
The common-sense prevention for this sort of annoyance is to *never* use a
real email address in public newsgroups. I suggest you reconfigure your
news account(s) with a bogus address.

I suggest to use a separate, but /valid/ email address for the newsgroups
only. This allows you to delete newsgroup posts from the Google Groups
archive, for example.

scorpion53061

You don't think you could have been a tad less rude to Jim? Weren't you
a "newbie" at one time and needed help in being directed where to go and
how to get there? How would you like it if a person reacted to you the
same?

It is not like he murdered someone geez....

Cor Ligthert

Jim,

I did not answer you because I had no answer. Everybody could have seen that
you had already changed your email adres to an invalid one. I see it now
directly before my nose.

I have tried to trace the IP adres, however with that it came very quick at
a dialin IP number, that means that it is almost impossible to find who did
it. (Although this is what was my result and don't see me as an expert in
that.)

Cor

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

Herfried,
I suggest to use a separate, but /valid/ email address for the newsgroups
only.
This is what I do.

I have a MSN account that I use exclusively for posting to the newsgroups. I
have the MSN junk mail filters set to high. What the MSN junk mail filters
do not get goes into its own folder in Outlook. I review the folder for
anything "important".

This way anyone that I request send me information I get, spam & virus are
normally swallowed by the MSN junk mail filters...

Jay

Peter van der Goes

Cor Ligthert said:
[...]

You're entiled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to disregard it.
We try to be positive and welcoming in the Microsoft public newsgroups,
unlike the churlish behavior often seen elsewhere. Sometimes individuals
need a reminder of that fact. If you want to consider my post as a
"condemnation", knock yourself out.

Cor Ligthert

Peter,
You're entiled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to disregard it.
We try to be positive and welcoming in the Microsoft public newsgroups,
unlike the churlish behavior often seen elsewhere. Sometimes individuals
need a reminder of that fact. If you want to consider my post as a
"condemnation", knock yourself out.

I hope that despite what you are writing, the majority of regular visitors
to this newsgroup see me in general as a person who is positive and
welcoming.

Cor