Virus Scans Freezing

Y

Yukon

I'm having trouble removing and scanning my system in the last few weeks. Running Windows XP Service Pak 2.

Spybot only scans for a few seconds and won't finish before this error message comes up:

"{Datei C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts kann nicht geoffnet werden. The process can not access the file because it is being
used by another process}"

Ad-Aware SE only will scan until it gets to the following, and then freezes up:

" D:\WUTemp"

It says it has found 43 critical items, but I can't remove them since it freezes up.

In Spybot, I've followed the path, and gone into the "hosts" file, but it asks what I want to open it with. No sign of any of the
German stuff.

In Ad-Aware, I've looked for where it says D:\WUTemp. Of course, there was no temp in D.

I run Microsoft Anti Spyware Full Scan every night. It scans all the way to the end, but never finds anything.

Any idea on how to get this crap outta my Sony Vaio? Thanks

W

What's in a Name?

I'm having trouble removing and scanning my system in the last few
weeks. Running Windows XP Service Pak 2.

Spybot only scans for a few seconds and won't finish before this
error message comes up:

"{Datei C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts kann nicht geoffnet
werden. The process can not access the file because it is being used
by another process}"

Ad-Aware SE only will scan until it gets to the following, and then
freezes up:

" D:\WUTemp"

It says it has found 43 critical items, but I can't remove them since
it freezes up.

In Spybot, I've followed the path, and gone into the "hosts" file,
but it asks what I want to open it with. No sign of any of the German
stuff.

In Ad-Aware, I've looked for where it says D:\WUTemp. Of course,
there was no temp in D.

I run Microsoft Anti Spyware Full Scan every night. It scans all the
way to the end, but never finds anything.

Any idea on how to get this crap outta my Sony Vaio? Thanks

After updating-run scans in safe-mode
Use CrapCleaner to clean up system.
-max
--
Playing Nice on Usenet:
http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#xpost
My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
Change nomail.afraid.org to yahoo.com to reply.
Registered Linux User #393236

D

David H. Lipman

| I'm having trouble removing and scanning my system in the last few weeks. Running Windows
| XP Service Pak 2.
|
| Spybot only scans for a few seconds and won't finish before this error message comes up:
|
| "{Datei C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts kann nicht geoffnet werden. The process can
| not access the file because it is being used by another process}"
|
| Ad-Aware SE only will scan until it gets to the following, and then freezes up:
|
| " D:\WUTemp"
|
| It says it has found 43 critical items, but I can't remove them since it freezes up.
|
| In Spybot, I've followed the path, and gone into the "hosts" file, but it asks what I want
| to open it with. No sign of any of the German stuff.
|
| In Ad-Aware, I've looked for where it says D:\WUTemp. Of course, there was no temp in D.
|
| I run Microsoft Anti Spyware Full Scan every night. It scans all the way to the end, but
| never finds anything.
|
| Any idea on how to get this crap outta my Sony Vaio? Thanks
|

You posted "virus scans freezing" however you have not indicated you ran any anti virus
software. What you have indicated is you have executed anti adware/spyware software. The
two are not the same.

I hope you are using Ad-aware SE v1.06 and SpyBot S&D v1.4.

Start by running the bove both in Safe Mode. And read the following...
“How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

And scan after a clean boot.

The following "is" anti virus software.

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Multi_AV.exe

It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script Interpreter {
http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } 4 batch files, 6 Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend, Kasperski and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line
Scanners to
remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS}
This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. This
way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site. The choices are;
Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can
download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have downloaded the files
needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key
during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you want to run in Safe
Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode.

When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more comprehensive PDF help
file.

To use this utility, perform the following...
Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-CLS }
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS }

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE to go through your
FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files.

* * * Please report back your results * * *

Y

Yukon

David H. Lipman said:

| I'm having trouble removing and scanning my system in the last few weeks. Running Windows
| XP Service Pak 2.
|
| Spybot only scans for a few seconds and won't finish before this error message comes up:
|
| "{Datei C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts kann nicht geoffnet werden. The process can
|
| Ad-Aware SE only will scan until it gets to the following, and then freezes up:
|
|
| It says it has found 43 critical items, but I can't remove them since it freezes up.
|
| In Spybot, I've followed the path, and gone into the "hosts" file, but it asks what I want
|
| In Ad-Aware, I've looked for where it says D:\WUTemp. Of course, there was no temp in D.
|
| I run Microsoft Anti Spyware Full Scan every night. It scans all the way to the end, but
| never finds anything.
|
|

You posted "virus scans freezing" however you have not indicated you ran any anti virus
software. What you have indicated is you have executed anti adware/spyware software. The
two are not the same.

"How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP"

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } 4 batch files, 6 Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend, Kasperski and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line
Scanners to

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. This
way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site. The choices are;

You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can
download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have downloaded the files
needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key
during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you want to run in Safe

When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more comprehensive PDF help
file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE to go through your

Thanks. I downloaded CrapCleaner and will try it.

Y

Yukon

David H. Lipman said:

| XP Service Pak 2.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
| never finds anything.
|
|

two are not the same.

"How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP"

Scanners to

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site. The choices are;

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Thanks. I ran both in safe mode, and it seems to have taken care of the problem. Thanks again.

D

David H. Lipman

| Thanks. I ran both in safe mode, and it seems to have taken care of the problem. Thanks
| again.
|

You should still download and run the Multi AV scanning Tool as you have not indicated
running an AV scanner and CrapCleaner is not an alternate solution to an AV scanner.

Y

Yukon

David H. Lipman said:

| Thanks. I ran both in safe mode, and it seems to have taken care of the problem. Thanks
| again.
|

You should still download and run the Multi AV scanning Tool as you have not indicated
running an AV scanner and CrapCleaner is not an alternate solution to an AV scanner.

Okay. I downloaded it. Should I run all of the choices? How often?

D

David H. Lipman

| Okay. I downloaded it. Should I run all of the choices? How often?
|

Start with McAfee. It is relatively quick and very comprehensive. If nothing is found, you
don't need to run the other modules. The kaspersky module is the slowest but it is *very*
comprehensive.

How often you want to run the utility is up to you. As you run the individual modules, they
will keep them selves updated with the latest engines and signatures.

Y

Yukon

David H. Lipman said:

| Okay. I downloaded it. Should I run all of the choices? How often?
|

Start with McAfee. It is relatively quick and very comprehensive. If nothing is found, you
don't need to run the other modules. The kaspersky module is the slowest but it is *very*
comprehensive.

How often you want to run the utility is up to you. As you run the individual modules, they
will keep them selves updated with the latest engines and signatures.

Okay. Thank you very much for all your help David.

Ask a Question