Virus Help

G

I know this is not stricktly the forum to discuss this but someone may be able to help me.

Downloaded McAfee lated virus definitions last night, all well. Booted up system this morning and it automatically shuts down after 120 seconds or so.

I know there is a virus out there that alters the registry with some setting called death count or killcount, something like that with the number of seconds that the system will shut down in.

Can anyone tell me either the setting or what virus does this so that I can romve the line and at least scan the system for the virus without it shutting down.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

W

Will Denny

Hi Neil

Have you got the exact error message? Firstly have a look here:

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/sasser.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

| I know this is not stricktly the forum to discuss this but someone may be
able to help me.
|
| Downloaded McAfee lated virus definitions last night, all well. Booted up
system this morning and it automatically shuts down after 120 seconds or so.
|
| I know there is a virus out there that alters the registry with some
setting called death count or killcount, something like that with the number
of seconds that the system will shut down in.
|
| Can anyone tell me either the setting or what virus does this so that I
can romve the line and at least scan the system for the virus without it
shutting down.
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Neil

D

David H. Lipman

There are two families of worms that can shut down the PC with 60 secs. if NOT properly
patched.

They are the LSASS and RPC/DCOM vulnerabilities and the worms that exploit them.

You need to FULLY state your problem and the following are the places to place your query.

microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

Dave

| I know this is not stricktly the forum to discuss this but someone may be able to help me.
|
| Downloaded McAfee lated virus definitions last night, all well. Booted up system this
morning and it automatically shuts down after 120 seconds or so.
|
| I know there is a virus out there that alters the registry with some setting called death
count or killcount, something like that with the number of seconds that the system will shut
down in.
|
| Can anyone tell me either the setting or what virus does this so that I can romve the line
and at least scan the system for the virus without it shutting down.
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Neil

Ask a Question