Virtual Memory limit

Ron Dean

I have two computers, both with 2GB of memory. One a Laptop and the other a
Desktop. For both the Virtual Memory is currently allocated at approx. 2046
MB even though the recommended amount is listed as 3070. If I set the
intial value at 3070 MB in the custom dialog box and set the max value at
either 3070 or 4096 or less the allocated value remains set at 2046 MB. Is
this correct? Is there a max limit of 4096 MB for the sum of the installed
memory and virtual? I thought it was 4096 for each.

I'm using Autocad to render a building and it is crashing often due to lack
of memory. Even though the the Desktop system will take another 2GB of
memory, it seems I would not improve things by adding more memory if the
virtual memory will go to 0 at that point. Is that correct?

Gerry Cornell

Ron Dean

Thanks, but these don't address my question.
My question is not really a Autocad problem. I'm asking if it correct that
if you have 2GB RAM memory installed in a Windows XP system that the virtual
memory will be 2046 MB no matter how you try to set a custom allocation
(intial value & max vlaue) for virtual memory. I can set virtual memory to
be determined by the system or try to adjust the custom settings to a higher
figure but in both cases the allocated memory remains at 2046 MB. Is this
normal? If it is correct why does the dialog box suggest a intial value of
3070 MB if that is a number that can not be reached?

Ron

David Candy

No it's wrong. The suggested value is 1.5 times RAM. But there is nothing magical about 1.5. MS had to choose something as a default.

There are lots of different virtual memory for an application. They can create their own swap files and other tricks. 4GB is the address space for a process. Most PCs have a theoretical maximun of 4GB (with most a lot less due to the motherboard and some specially designed PCs upto 64GB).

You can have a page file of a maximun of 4 GB (4096K). You can have a maximun of 16 pagefiles (but you need 16 partitions).

Are you running out of diskspace. Can you set it to 0, then try 4096. You are rebooting after making changes aren't you?

Ron Dean

I find it odd that the two systems that I have with 2GB of installed ram
both have this problem. If I remove one 1GB ram chip from the laptop, I can
set the Virtual Memory up to 4096. But if I reinstall the other 1GB chip and
don't change the virtual memory, it returns to 2046. If this is not normal,
how do I fix this?

Ron

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
No it's wrong. The suggested value is 1.5 times RAM. But there is nothing
magical about 1.5. MS had to choose something as a default.

There are lots of different virtual memory for an application. They can
create their own swap files and other tricks. 4GB is the address space for a
process. Most PCs have a theoretical maximun of 4GB (with most a lot less
due to the motherboard and some specially designed PCs upto 64GB).

You can have a page file of a maximun of 4 GB (4096K). You can have a
maximun of 16 pagefiles (but you need 16 partitions).

Are you running out of diskspace. Can you set it to 0, then try 4096. You
are rebooting after making changes aren't you?

John

you're probably using the systems in the same way, so whatever "mistakes"
you're making on one, you're doing it on the other too.

but, I think that one of the reasons that you're getting smaller swap files
is because it's a good thing... if
your system has enough ram so that it seldom (if ever) has to use the swap
file, that's a good thing,
not a bad thing. using disk space as ram slows down your system...

also, one of the things that could be happening is about disk space...
for example, windows won't create a bigger swap file if it can't get the
required
amount of contiguous non-fragmented disk space. it WILL grow one into a
fragmented area, but it won't create a new one.

so, if you've not defragged lately and/or there's not enough disk space,
then it's not going to happen... no matter what you do.

by the way, I prefer www.raxco.com - get perfectdisk7.0 - you can use the
trial version.

then do an offline defrag... followed by the quick defrag.. followed by the
defrag program built into windows.

that should give you the cleanest system you can get. but... before you do
it, if you don't HAVE 4 gigs
of disk space, you're never going to get a 4 gig swap file. sounds obvious,
but you'd be surprised
how many people would make that mistake.

if it were me, I'd also try the "system controlled size" and also running it
without a swap file... see if either
change your performance.

I'd also be very certain that when you change your ram that the bios picks
up the change.
had a system last week were the guy was doing exactly what you were doing...
except that he wasn't seating
his ram properly. so, when the system went to use the second gigabyte, it
crashed the machine because
the memory had a loose electrical connection... it was only sorta in. but
the bios had figured it out and was
only reporting the presence of the first gig.

-JB