video card madness(??)

JAD

HDRDTD said:
Note the card itself only has 64MB, it borrows/shares system ram to utilize
up to 256MB total.

True, however the cost was what we were discussing, note also that it was 33.xx not 38.00

John Doe

Dave said:
newegg run better than mwave?

Their search engine is second to none. Allowing us to cancel an
order online is exceptional. In my opinion, their operation is the
best.
Holy shit, that's got to be the funniest thing I've read on usenet
this year

You should read your own silly rant in this thread about GPUs
replacing CPUs (somehow I doubt you will even be recognizable here
10 years from now). Have you ever predicted anything on USENET that
came true?

--
See also:
"Dave" <never not.invalid>
From: "Dave" <never not.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: video card madness(??)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:24:18 -0500

OSbandito

Jeff screwed the pooch with:
I once had a secretary tell me that she needed a newer and faster machine. I
asked her what she was running that required all that speed. She explained
that she could type faster than the wordprocessor on her P4 could place the
characters on the monitor - yea, right.

As much as like to run the fastest machines for myself for processor
intentive tasks that take minutes, hours, or days to complete, I tell most
people to keep the machines that they have and put the saved money toward
better IT support. ...had a situation where someone replaced about a dozen
P3s with new P4s about two years ago, even though the P3s were running the
wordprocessors, email, and surfing the web fine before the idiot IT guy
screwed with the server and messed something up. So someone decided that the
problem was old hardware instead of human error. When they put the P4s on
the server, the unskilled IT person still couldn't configure things
correctly and there have been nothing but problems. If they would have taken
that same hardware money and put it into hiring someone better, the P3s
would have been running well for their intended use. I have an old P3 that
I've set up myself and the users think that it's great. They jump on it
instead of going to the above P4s that are screwed up.

Jeff

Absolutely. I've been using the same old Mac for eleven years now; the
damn thing won't seem to break. I'm finally looking forward to building
a more capable Linux/Solaris rig in order to gain some usability with
recent software and browsers. My only hangup with this is selecting the
primary OS to get the thing off the ground (will play around with
linuxes on an external HD). I think Solaris might be the easiest but not
sure.

el_mulla

A Radeon 9250 128MB or similar Nvidia offering is my choice for $30-50.

With Windows Vista, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray around the corner, many of us will be
shopping for a new monitor and new video card.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/default.asp

Too old ;)
I picked up a gigabyte x1300 radeon.
Cheap, small, modern directX 9.0c, no fan, AVIVO video.
PCI-e or AGP versions.
Plays "older" games like unreal tournament 2004.
Very overclockable.
You can even run them in crossfire ;)

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2227

Hackworth

Andy Axnot said:
Mamma mia! That's as much as I paid for my Pinto, back in the day.

I had a Pinto, too... back in the day! A favorite pasttime on a slow day was
to sit there next to it listening to it rust away.

T Shadow

Hackworth said:
I had a Pinto, too... back in the day! A favorite pasttime on a slow day was
to sit there next to it listening to it rust away.

Better than listening to one at the drags. 28 seconds of that engine is
enough to make you wanna barf.