Video: AGP vs PCI-E

Ubin

I am in process of upgrading from and AMD 64 and an MIS board to a 745( D ,
Core2 duo).
right now I run an ATI 9800 pro 128MB and I wonder, SHOULD I just go with a
PCI-Ecard?
What I am asking is this..how much better is a low end PCI-E card than the
9800 pro that I have now?
Can someone outline the hierarchy video cards?
What IS important?
Thanks

GuessWho

Ubin said:
I am in process of upgrading from and AMD 64 and an MIS board to a 745( D ,
Core2 duo).
right now I run an ATI 9800 pro 128MB and I wonder, SHOULD I just go with
a PCI-Ecard?
What I am asking is this..how much better is a low end PCI-E card than
the 9800 pro that I have now?
Can someone outline the hierarchy video cards?
What IS important?
Thanks

Do any of the 745 boards even take an AGP card?

Ubin

Clint said:
You can get a PCI-Express card that will spank the 9800 Pro like a naughty
school-girl for around $100 (like the X850Pro at newegg
http://www.newegg.com:80/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102606 for
$129). Anything better than that will be that much better than the 9800
Pro.
Frys electronics has a "fuzion" 7600GS 256MB right now for 59(after 50
rebate)
what am i looking for in 'specs"
Could you also explain to mewhy PCI-E is so much better?

JAD

Ubin said:
Frys electronics has a "fuzion" 7600GS 256MB right now for 59(after 50
rebate)
what am i looking for in 'specs"
Could you also explain to mewhy PCI-E is so much better?

you answered your own question

"At least one of the ECS boards AFAIK.
Thats part of the issue, not alot do."

What are you doing with your machine now? Any 3D? no?, and your upgrade has
an AGP slot. save your money and keep your AGP. Ideally you would want a
board with both so you could upgrade video later if you want.

Larry Roberts

Frys electronics has a "fuzion" 7600GS 256MB right now for 59(after 50
rebate)
what am i looking for in 'specs"
Could you also explain to mewhy PCI-E is so much better?

There really isn't a performance benifit. If both the AGP, &
PCI-e card have the same GPU with same amount of memory, & same
core/memory clock speeds, both will perform the same. The thing is, if
the 7600GS is the last videocard your gona buy for that system, then
it wouldn't matter if you stuck with AGP, but if your gona get
something better later (DX10 featured hardware), you will be limiting
your choices. There aren't many new GPU cards built on the AGP form
now.
If your able to purchase a new PCI-e videocard with your new
Core 2 Duo mainboard, then I'd just go the PCI-e route.

John Doe

Ubin said:
I am in process of upgrading from and AMD 64 and an MIS board to a
745( D , Core2 duo).
right now I run an ATI 9800 pro 128MB and I wonder, SHOULD I just
go with a PCI-Ecard?

You will have to at some point.
What I am asking is this..how much better is a low end PCI-E card
than the 9800 pro that I have now?

Later in this thread, you are (apparently) talking about buying a
new AGP card.

I would forget that.

A little online shopping reveals how little selection there is of
AGP video cards. I think you can get a much better PCI Express card
for the same money.
Can someone outline the hierarchy video cards?

Outline the hierarchy of video cards?
What IS important?

If you are spending on the CPU/mainboard and plan to upgrade the
video card later, definitely go with PCI Express.

I think a video card is about the most expensive component in a
gaming machine.

Apparently you don't want to buy a cheap PCI Express card (that fits
your budget) to replace your 9800. But you probably have better
options to begin with, concerning your CPU/mainboard purchase.

Good luck and have fun.

sbb78247

Ubin said:
I am in process of upgrading from and AMD 64 and an MIS board to a
745( D , Core2 duo).
right now I run an ATI 9800 pro 128MB and I wonder, SHOULD I just go
with a PCI-Ecard?
What I am asking is this..how much better is a low end PCI-E card
than the 9800 pro that I have now?
Can someone outline the hierarchy video cards?
What IS important?
Thanks

oh **** me dead! now you went and opened the gate to the looney bin! all
of the agp'ers that say it isn't dead and the pci-e'rs will come out of the
woodwork now.

nice one ****wit

John Doe

A prolific troll

From: "sbb78247" <nospam professionalprick.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Video: AGP vs PCI-E
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 21:26:44 -0500
I am in process of upgrading from and AMD 64 and an MIS board to a
745( D , Core2 duo).
right now I run an ATI 9800 pro 128MB and I wonder, SHOULD I just go
with a PCI-Ecard?
What I am asking is this..how much better is a low end PCI-E card
than the 9800 pro that I have now?
Can someone outline the hierarchy video cards?
What IS important?
Thanks

oh **** me dead! now you went and opened the gate to the looney bin! all
of the agp'ers that say it isn't dead and the pci-e'rs will come out of the
woodwork now.

nice one ****wit

sbb78247

John Doe jabbered in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

<nothing of significance>

See, I was right!

mention the k0oks and out they come

WooHoo2You

sbb78247 said:
See, I was right!

mention the k0oks and out they come

I was think the same thing. There is a guy at my work who wears a os/2
windbreaker almost every day. Lets just say try to avoid anything related
to computers or you will never escape.

--
WooHoo2You

"The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is
suffering

from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they

are okay, then it's you."

-Rita Mae Brown

John Doe

Troll

See also:
"Anonymous" <god_of_you hotmail.com>
"Gotcha_Last" <woohoo2youREMOVE nc.rr.com>
"news.east.earthlink.net" <no emailforyou.com>
"WooHoo2You" <no email.com>
"WooHoo2You" <no emailforyou.com>

From: "WooHoo2You" <no emailforyou.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt