very slow bootup

Noor Motani

From: "Noor Motani" <[email protected]>
To: "Noor motani" <[email protected]>
Subject: Very Slow Boot Vista 32
Date: September-03-09 10:14 PM

I am experiencing very slow boot up of Vista Home Premium 32 bit. It takes
good 10 - 12 minutes to completely boot up. I am using Dell desk top
inspiron with 4 Gb RAM. I did some research and learnt how to filter the
event log and diagnose where the degradation occurs. In my case, a lot of
degradation found in loading drivers like sound and video. Also AVG resident
shield slows down.
When I first turn on the system, black screen with a mouse curser appears
for two - three minutes. Then Welcome message appears and again it blanks
out for another two to three minutes. Then the desk top appears and the
icons are slowly appearing. By the time complete boot is in place - system
idle mode, it is ten to twelve minutes.

I appreciate any help available.

Best Regards
Noor Motani

Ken Blake, MVP

I am experiencing very slow boot up of Vista Home Premium 32 bit. It takes
good 10 - 12 minutes to completely boot up. I am using Dell desk top
inspiron with 4 Gb RAM. I did some research and learnt how to filter the
event log and diagnose where the degradation occurs. In my case, a lot of
degradation found in loading drivers like sound and video. Also AVG resident
shield slows down.
When I first turn on the system, black screen with a mouse curser appears
for two - three minutes. Then Welcome message appears and again it blanks
out for another two to three minutes. Then the desk top appears and the
icons are slowly appearing. By the time complete boot is in place - system
idle mode, it is ten to twelve minutes.

My personal view is that the attention many people pay to how long it
takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the computer's speed is
otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth worrying about (although
your 10-12 minutes is unusually long). Most people start their
computers once a day or even less frequently. In the overall scheme of
things, even a few minutes to start up isn't very important.
Personally I power on my computer when I get up in the morning, then
go get my coffee. When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know
how long it took to boot and I don't care.

However if you do want to address it, it may be because of what
programs start automatically, and you may want to stop some of them
from starting that way. On each program you don't want to start
automatically, check its Options to see if it has the choice not to
start (make sure you actually choose the option not to run it, not
just a "don't show icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped
that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run
line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to
start automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose of
running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many people tell
you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of these programs
you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt performance severely, but
others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you should do
is determine what each program is, what its value is to you, and what
the cost in performance is of its running all the time. You can get
more information about these with google searches and asking about
specifics here.

Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent informed
decision about what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of.

The C. [MCSE] Privacy & Disclosure

Peter Foldes is a blind peasant fool! His daddy should have pulled out!
--
Computer/Software Tech.

Make it a great day!

Charles Richmond

Noor Motani

Yes. If I disable all startup programs, it is the same. However, if I
disable the startup services, it boots faster but without security as it
disables AVG services too.

Noor Motani

Thank you for help. I stopped the services prefetch and set it to manual.
Then I emptied c:\windows\prefetch. Next when I ran the command
"Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,Process IdleTasks". I received an error
"ERROR in advapi32.dll
Missing entry:processIdle"
I would appreciate further instructions.

Noor Motani

I did run cmd as administrator and same error. This time the missing entry
is process.

Noor Motani

Just to let you know that it appears that the command worked. This time I
was careful not to insert space before Process and it accepted the command.
After typing the command, it just went back to prompt on the run screen. It
did not confirm or deny accepting the command. That's why I assume that the
command was accepted. However, my boot time has not improved.

Noor Motani

Thank you all. My problem is solved. I made a call to dell tech support who
ran a malware tool and found 32 infections that my AVG and F-secure online
scan could never detect. This cleaned up my system and now it boots up fast
enough. It took 2 minutes and a few seconds to boot up. He used a malware
detection application called malewarebytes'.
He also installed cclean a free system cleaner that cleaned a lot of junk
too.

Sonny Wortzik

Ken Blake said:
Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent informed
decision about what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of.

Add "run malwarebytes" to your list.

John Darcy

I have exactly the same issue and it just began to happen. Idid a restore point for earlier but that didnt change the slow start and the long time on the black screen. Also, I have start ups where 3 or 4 items do not get loaded into the tray though one or 2 may still be working just didnt show up. I havent been able to track down the issue or fix it.

Posted as a reply to:

very slow bootup
04-Sep-09

From: "Noor Motani" <[email protected]>
To: "Noor motani" <[email protected]>
Date: September-03-09 10:14 PM

I am experiencing very slow boot up of Vista Home Premium 32 bit. It takes
good 10 - 12 minutes to completely boot up. I am using Dell desk top
inspiron with 4 Gb RAM. I did some research and learnt how to filter the
event log and diagnose where the degradation occurs. In my case, a lot of
degradation found in loading drivers like sound and video. Also AVG resident
shield slows down.
When I first turn on the system, black screen with a mouse curser appears
for two - three minutes. Then Welcome message appears and again it blanks
out for another two to three minutes. Then the desk top appears and the
icons are slowly appearing. By the time complete boot is in place - system
idle mode, it is ten to twelve minutes.

I appreciate any help available.

Best Regards
Noor Motani

Creating a WPF Application Using MVVM Pattern
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...b-7374d3da3425/creating-a-wpf-applicatio.aspx

John Darcy

I actually do not care if it takes time to boot as long as it is not stuck for some reason i cant determine. i looked at the event log but couldnt figure out anything off and looked through the process and services in action but couldnt find anything out of line, I just get stuck at the splash screen where it would zip through not can stall for 4mins then go through and slowly get booted, but many times with some start up items not loaded or just not showing in the tray. Sometimes it is 'normal' again. After 2 or 3 re boots back to back, it seems to boot properly , quickly and all items there. I do not seem to have extraneous start up items. all have a function and not looking to cut them out. just began to stall in the first stage of boot process.

Posted as a reply to:

vista slow boot up, gets stuck at the beginning
22-Sep-09