From: Ronald Laeremans [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: Re: .NET2003 Features

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
Date: 2003-06-02 14:42:11 PST

We are looking at the possibility of shipping the optimizing compiler in
the
standard edition of Visual C++ in a future version. Would that solve your
issue or are you specifically looking for a Visual C++ Pro edition that
would contain the extra features in the Pro Edition beyond the optimizing
compiler?

Ronald Laeremans
Group Program Manager
Visual C++ team

Ronald Laeremans [MSFT]

Well, I am hoping it was relatively obvious that I was talking about a
future version. We haven't shipped that version yet (codename Whidbey) and
will not in the very immediate future. But current plans do have the
optimizing compiler ship in the standard edition of VC Whidbey.

Ronald

Brian

Great! That's wonderful news. The only reason I asked was that you had
said, "We are looking at the possibility of shipping the optimizing
compiler...." Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, but I really didn't
want to spend $400 - $500 for one feature if it would be provided in the
standard edition. I've heard "possibility" used too many times to take
it as a definite positive. :)

I appreciate the feedback.

Brian
Well, I am hoping it was relatively obvious that I was talking about a
future version. We haven't shipped that version yet (codename Whidbey) and
will not in the very immediate future. But current plans do have the
optimizing compiler ship in the standard edition of VC Whidbey.

In particular, this question goes out to the Microsoft C++ development
team. Back in June, Ronald Laeremans posted the following message. Has
the optimizing compiler been included with the standard edition of VC++
yet? Don't think that we've forgotten about it....

Thank,
Brian

From: Ronald Laeremans [MSFT] ([email protected])

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
Date: 2003-06-02 14:42:11 PST

We are looking at the possibility of shipping the optimizing compiler in
the
standard edition of Visual C++ in a future version. Would that solve your
issue or are you specifically looking for a Visual C++ Pro edition that
would contain the extra features in the Pro Edition beyond the optimizing
compiler?

Ronald Laeremans
Group Program Manager
Visual C++ team

Brannon King

Along with the optimized compiler, I use the XML schema editor for my
otherwise "standard" c++ projects. Does anybody else use that?