Value not displaying on Read Page after form is sent?

Rhino

I read Sue's books from cover to cover and have never seen anything
like this! I have a custom form with a drop down box. The value
selected in the drop down box appears read page of the person that
sends the form (because they get cc'd) but the recipient of the form
does not see the value chosen. Other drop down boxes on the form do not
have this issue. They were all created the same way! Anyone have any
ideas?

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Where is the form published? What does the Help | About This Form dialog tell you about the version number? (You are incrementing the version number, right?)

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Rhino

Sue,

The form is on a shared drive as an .oft file. So there is only one
version (I am testing this in a singl dept on a local network before I
have the corp guys publish it across the enterprise). I did not
publish it except to my personal library. By the way, your books are
great!

Thanks
Jeff

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

That won't work. You need to use a published form if you're transmitting custom field values. The article at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=907985 explains this in more detail.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Rhino

I'll check out that article, Thanks .... But it is confusing how
everything else on the form works except one of the drop down boxes?

Jeff

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Probably because it's a custom property not present on the other machine or because the control isn't bound to the right field.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
Where is the form published? What does the Help | About This Form dialog tell you about the version number? (You are incrementing the version number, right?)

I read Sue's books from cover to cover and have never seen anything
like this! I have a custom form with a drop down box. The value
selected in the drop down box appears read page of the person that
sends the form (because they get cc'd) but the recipient of the form
does not see the value chosen. Other drop down boxes on the form do not
have this issue. They were all created the same way! Anyone have any
ideas?

Hollis Paul [MVP - Outlook]

The value
selected in the drop down box appears read page of the person that
sends the form (because they get cc'd) but the recipient of the form
does not see the value chosen.
Is this really a split form with a read form that is different from the
compose form. If there is no real reason for having the split form,
then you should remove the split feature. It is tricky to get the
controls of the compose form to autoload into the controls of the read
form. And if the designer discovered, after the form was split, that
they had missed a control, and just built it from scratch and named it
the same, then it won't work at all.

Rhino

Paul,

Maybe I am doing it incorrectly but I just cut and pasted all of the
controls from the compose page and pasted them to the read page. I
wanted the person receiving the form to see exactly what was selected
on the compose page and to be able to change the values if needed. Is
there another/better way?

Thanks
Jeff

Hollis Paul [MVP - Outlook]

<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms

Maybe I am doing it incorrectly but I just cut and pasted all of the
controls from the compose page and pasted them to the read page. I
wanted the person receiving the form to see exactly what was selected
on the compose page and to be able to change the values if needed. Is
there another/better way?
If you really did cut and paste all, really, really ALL, the controls
from the compose page to the read page, then you should not be using a
split form. Every thing is the same. Just go into design mode, and
uncheck the box for separate forms. There will be a warning that you
will lose any unique items on the read page, but you don't have any
unique items on the read page. Say do it anyway to the warning, and
republish. Then test to see if it works as you expected.

The problem with the cut and paste method is that all the controls are
renamed, and any custom fields that are referenced are also renamed in
the paste operation. Consequently, the controls in the read page do not
autoload from the compose page.

The correct way to set up the controls of the read-page so that they
autoload properly in a split page form, is to do all the common elements
first, then split the form into compose page and read page, and then add
the unique elements.