Validation Rule

T

Tom

I am wondering if someone knows how to create a validation rule in a table that would throw an error message in a form.

Here's what I have in a table:

Field1
- Data type = Number
- Indexed = "Yes (Duplicates OK)"

Field2
- Data type = Text
- Indexed = "No"

Validation Rule Requirements:
- The value of Field2 must be unique within the range of same value range of Field1

Examples of Allowed Records:

Field1 Field2
====== ======
1 A
1 B
1 C
2 A
2 B
3 B

Examples of Not Allowed Records:

Field1 Field2
====== ======
1 A
1 B
1 B
2 A
2 B
3 B

Here, the values of the 2nd record and 3rd record (Field1 = 1, Field2 = B) are identical. Therefore, when entering the 3rd record, I want to throw an error message in a form that indicates
that Field2 value of "B" already exists.

Is that possible?

P.S. I don't want to use autonumbers for this table.

R

Rick B

You need to create a key for your table based on two fields. I believe you hold down the CTRL key while you click the fields, then click the "key" button at the top of your screen.

Rick B

I am wondering if someone knows how to create a validation rule in a table that would throw an error message in a form.

Field1
- Data type = Number

Field2
- Data type = Text
- Indexed = "No"

- The value of Field2 must be unique within the range of same value range of Field1

Field1 Field2
====== ======
1 A
1 B
1 C
2 A
2 B
3 B

Field1 Field2
====== ======
1 A
1 B
1 B
2 A
2 B
3 B

Here, the values of the 2nd record and 3rd record (Field1 = 1, Field2 = B) are identical. Therefore, when entering the 3rd record, I want to throw an error message in a form that indicates

Is that possible?

R

Rick B

After you do that, you can select "Indexes" from the "View" menu to see more options for your key.

See "help" for more details.

HTH

Rick B

Field1
- Data type = Number

Field2
- Data type = Text
- Indexed = "No"

Field1 Field2
====== ======
1 A
1 B
1 C
2 A
2 B
3 B

Field1 Field2
====== ======
1 A
1 B
1 B
2 A
2 B
3 B

Is that possible?

T

Tom

Rick:

Thanks!!! That works perfect!

Tom

You need to create a key for your table based on two fields. I believe you hold down the CTRL key while you click the fields, then click the "key" button at the top of your screen.

Rick B

Field1
- Data type = Number

Field2
- Data type = Text
- Indexed = "No"

Field1 Field2
====== ======
1 A
1 B
1 C
2 A
2 B
3 B

Field1 Field2
====== ======
1 A
1 B
1 B
2 A
2 B
3 B

Is that possible?

Ask a Question