validation controls

Stephen

Hi,

the validation controls dont work on Netscape or Mozilla and only on
Internet Explorer
why? How do i correct this problem?

Thanks

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Stephen,

The client-side validation in ASP.NET targets the Internet Explorer DOM.
In cases where a user is using a different browser, server-side validation
will take place.

If you want client-side validation on all platforms, you can write your own
client validation scripts. Here's a sample I turned up:

http://www.superdotnet.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=126

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

Peter Blum

I rewrote ASP.NET validation to address numerous limitations, including
DHTML-only support for client-side validation, in Professional Validation
And More (http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx).
Its 22 validators greatly expand what you can do with validation, from the
UI it offers, to the rules of validation. It helps you avoid writing custom
code and hacks that are used with Microsoft's validators.

--- Peter Blum
www.PeterBlum.com
Email: (e-mail address removed)
http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx

Andrea Williams

Wow, if it's this much of a pain to support a browser other than Microsoft
IE, then why are we relying on these controls? Most of us have to support
more than MS. It's a good thing I'm also using server validation... I
think it would be easiest just to leave it at that, at least for now... I'm
running out of time.

Andrea

From: "Stephen" <[email protected]>
Subject: validation controls
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:11:58 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi,

the validation controls dont work on Netscape or Mozilla and only on
Internet Explorer
why? How do i correct this problem?

Thanks

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Andrea,

The validation controls will validate on the client AND the server. If the
browser does not support client validation, the control will validate on
the server.

From: "Stephen" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:11:58 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi,

the validation controls dont work on Netscape or Mozilla and only on
Internet Explorer
why? How do i correct this problem?

Thanks

Andrea Williams

Unless I'm missing something, that is NOT happening for me! I'm had to
create the code myself to validate my fields b/c the submit was happening.
Is there something inparticular I need to do to make the validation work
from the controls?

Andrea

From: "Stephen" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:11:58 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi,

the validation controls dont work on Netscape or Mozilla and only on
Internet Explorer
why? How do i correct this problem?

Thanks

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Andrea,

That is exactly what should happen. If the client does not support
validation, validation takes place on the server.

From: "Stephen" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:11:58 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNG P
0
8.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl