utility to delete folders/files

name

Hello.
Does anyone know of any utility that will reliably delete files or
folders under windows XP pro?
Often windows refuses to remove a folder when it contains unusual
characters and this is extremely annoying. So I'm looking for some kind
of utility to use in such a situation.

kind regards, thanks for any suggestions, Niek

ANONYMOUS

The only folder you can't delete is WINDOWS; otherwise you can delete
all other folders if they are not in use by windows.

To delete the difficult folders you need to go into safe mode and do it
from there. This ensures no other files are loaded to stop you from
doing the maintenance work of Windows system.

hth

Ted

Do you have XP home ?

If Windows wouldn't delete it then no other
program can.
What happens if you rename the file ?

billious

name said:
Hello.
Does anyone know of any utility that will reliably delete files or
folders under windows XP pro?
Often windows refuses to remove a folder when it contains unusual
characters and this is extremely annoying. So I'm looking for some kind
of utility to use in such a situation.

kind regards, thanks for any suggestions, Niek

Probably the easiest way is to use DOS (ignore sycophants chanting "there is
no DOS" mantra)

find Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt
OR
Run... CMD.EXE

which will show the infamous DOS "Black screen" (I use it often enough to
place it on my desktop)

type

DIR /X filename

where filename may be a foldername if you like. If your file/foldername
contains spaces or strange characters, you may need to wrap the
file/foldername in double-quotes. You may also need to use ? or *
(match-any-single-character or match-any-character-sequence) if you can't
type the actual character you need.

You'll find that DIR/X will show the short file/dirname, and you should be
able to delete that element by typing

DEL shortfilename (for files) or
RD /s shortdirname (for directories)

You won't be able to delete any files or directories that are currently OPEN
to any active application. You may also need to remove the Read-only, Hidden
or System flags from files before you can delete them. This is easily
accomplished with

ATTRIB -r -h -s filename

where filename may be quoted if required, and may be preceded by a pathname
if required.

Finally, type

EXIT

to close the CMD.EXE program.

HTH

....Bill

Mikie

Hi, I downloaded a 21 day free trial of an UNINSTALLER, from :

www.ursoftware.com

I went to the website just now to get you the link but I didn't have
the time to search. Try the search yourself when you can. Sorry!..

The 21 day feebie works great. I had a heck of a time deleting GOBACK
because of some corruption, but the Uninstaller did the trick! The full
version is about $20. but I would try it first.

Hope all goes well!

Mike

David Candy

Use this syntax for illegal file names. Windows can't delete illegal file names cause it checks it for legality.

The NT OS is operating system neutral. It runs other OSs such as Windows, Posix, OS/2, & Dos. The OS you are using determines what is illegal or not (otherwise programs crash). A unix program has different rules to a windows programs. The programs expect certain behaviour.

If there is an illegal filename then Windows did not create it. Explorer also helpfully fixes certain filenames that are otherwise legal but are assumed stupid. This is not a windows rule but an explorer rule.

There is a syntax that Windows programs can use to bypass some windows rules. The problem is all other windows programs won't be able to access the files.

\\?\c:\somefolder\somefile.ext

eg

del \\?\c:\boot.ini

It is meant for turning off length checking as this syntax allows paths of up to 32K characters.

Ted

IN XP Pro file names with these characters can't be deleted
or created \ / : * ? " < > |
These files normally get added when you add a URL shortcut
in Favorites.
While in Win98 above characters and foreign language characters
cause the same problem.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
[...]

I don't know why you want to argue with me. Another idiot to humilate.

08/12/2005 05:26 PM 3 dog .txt

See if you can make the above legal filename in Explorer

Ted

SY, you should know what it means.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
I don't know why you want to argue with me. Another idiot to humilate.

08/12/2005 05:26 PM 3 dog .txt

See if you can make the above legal filename in Explorer

Ted

What I meant to say is screwu, you are the biggest idiot
with your stupid attitude.
Get lost.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
I don't know why you want to argue with me. Another idiot to humilate.

08/12/2005 05:26 PM 3 dog .txt

See if you can make the above legal filename in Explorer

Ted

You are such a chicken hiding behind the keyboard,
you wouldn't dare say in front of me.
You ignorant idiot.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
I don't know why you want to argue with me. Another idiot to humilate.

08/12/2005 05:26 PM 3 dog .txt

See if you can make the above legal filename in Explorer

Ted

You are an idiot.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Home does support foreign characters. Just like Pro.

David Candy

ANONYMOUS said:
The only folder you can't delete is WINDOWS; otherwise you can delete
all other folders if they are not in use by windows.

To delete the difficult folders you need to go into safe mode and do it
from there. This ensures no other files are loaded to stop you from
doing the maintenance work of Windows system.

No, going into safe mode is way too much of a hassle... I have many
programs
running that I like to run continually, I can't abort them all and
reboot to go to safe mode every time I need to delete a folderor file
that's giving me problems, that's ludicrous.
I have however found another trick (someone had mentioned it to me
before but I lately remembered to use that again).
I go to the task manager and stop the explorer process. Subsequently I
restart the explorer process again and somehow this allows me to remove
the folder or file, without rebooting the program or stopping any other
programs.
So it might be that it wasn't unusual characters that didn't allow me
to remove the folders/files in windows (although windows commander
sometimes does seem to have problems with them), but simply that they
were still in use by some programs.

Steve N.

name said:
Hello.
Does anyone know of any utility that will reliably delete files or
folders under windows XP pro?
Often windows refuses to remove a folder when it contains unusual
characters and this is extremely annoying. So I'm looking for some kind
of utility to use in such a situation.

kind regards, thanks for any suggestions, Niek

Try this:

http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm

Steve N.

Steve N.

ANONYMOUS said:
The only folder you can't delete is WINDOWS; otherwise you can delete
all other folders if they are not in use by windows.

To delete the difficult folders you need to go into safe mode and do it
from there. This ensures no other files are loaded to stop you from
doing the maintenance work of Windows system.

hth

There are many cases where invalid filenames are created by applications
that Windows cannot delete. There are other methods and tools to deal
with them.

Steve N.