using XP Embedded for office applications

G

Given the Via Eden platform and the possibilities of using boot frmo network or some DiskOnChip devices, we have kicked around the idea of designing a workstation based on XPe with know moving parts

Before I get too deep into this I thought I would ask about application support. We are targeting small businesses that need reliable, functional desktops for only a few programs like Office XP/2003, Quickbooks Pro, Peach Tree, and maybe some VB applications customized for business needs

To me, the XPe "appliance" we envision would be more reliable, less expensive (upfront and TCO) and would keep users from screwing around so much when they should be working

Anyone think it's a bad idea to try this? Would this off the shelf products like Quickbooks and Office work in XPe

Thanks
Matt

B

Bing.Chen

Dear Matt,

Office install problem can be solved techinically, but the MS license
problem.

Please see Ravi's post.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...a=group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded.*

Best Regards,
Bing Chen

Matt Denier said:
Given the Via Eden platform and the possibilities of using boot frmo
network or some DiskOnChip devices, we have kicked around the idea of
designing a workstation based on XPe with know moving parts.
Before I get too deep into this I thought I would ask about application
support. We are targeting small businesses that need reliable, functional
desktops for only a few programs like Office XP/2003, Quickbooks Pro, Peach
Tree, and maybe some VB applications customized for business needs.
To me, the XPe "appliance" we envision would be more reliable, less
expensive (upfront and TCO) and would keep users from screwing around so
much when they should be working.
Anyone think it's a bad idea to try this? Would this off the shelf
products like Quickbooks and Office work in XPe?

G

Sounds terrible! :( I'd be willing to pop for the full XP license but I suppose it isnt in the books.

Anyone know if Quickbooks or AutoCAD can execute on Win XPe?

G

The problem seems to be with the XP Embedded License and "general use or general document creation", not the Office license.

Ask a Question