Using RRAS to assign an external IP to an internal machine

nick.malyon

Hi Guys,

Here's a diagram of what I'm trying to achieve:
http://beefselection.com/rras.gif

A bit of background...

I have a Windows Server 2003 host machine running VMware Server. I have
one virtual machine running Fedora Core 6. The virtual machine is
connected to a Host-only network interface.

The server can communicate with the virtual machine, and the virtual
machine the host. The host can communicate across the Internet. The
virtual machine can't currently access the Internet from the host only
network.

I want to give the virtual machine (machine B) an external IP address
on the Internet. I can't use Bridged networking as my datacentre blocks
unknown MAC addresses, so I'd like to use RRAS running on the host
(machine A).

If anyone knows how to do this, I'd be very grateful for your help!

Best regards & Merry Christmas!

- Nick

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
[...]

Looks like you'll need to creat a VPN from B to A using an address pool of
the public IPs, or use VLANs to achieve this. Or simply put an extra NIC on
B, plug it into the external switch, and give it that IP.

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...

Kurt

[...]

YOu could use NAT on the Windows box and give it two IP addresses. Then
forward the ports for whatever services you want to provide on the FC6
machine. In fact, unless you are running the same services (on the same
ports) ob both the Windows and Linux machines, you can do it all with
jut one IP address.

Just for the sake of curiosity, since you have two public IP addresses
and two computers, why not just plug them both into the router?

....kurt