Using rasdial

LuDean Marvin

I have been using rasdial to dial up my ISP from a batch file. I find
that it sometimes dials, but fails to connect. I am wondering if
there is some way to get rasdial to try again, or move on to another
number?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi LuDean,

If you're familiar with scripting.

You may use a VBS/WSH script to launch the rasdial.exe command-line. The rasdial output can be read using StdOut Property, and place the connect string in the loop.

StdOut Property (WshScriptExec):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...html/85684a76-6d66-4a1a-a3c4-cf3f48baa595.asp

Note: I don't have a RAS connection here to test, so I don't know what the return code would be, in case the connection is successful.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I have been using rasdial to dial up my ISP from a batch file. I find
that it sometimes dials, but fails to connect. I am wondering if
there is some way to get rasdial to try again, or move on to another
number?

LuDean Marvin

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with VBS or WSH. My experience is
limited to the old style DOS batch scripts, and am not good at that
either. From what you describe, I can have the batch script test for
an exit/error code and have it rerun rasdial or have it try another
number, but am not sure how that would be done because I have no clue
what the exit codes might be.

I thought maybe rasdial had some switch or feature that would allow it
to redial if it failed to connect. It does use the same phonebook
that Windows XP's dialup applet uses, so I thought rasdial was just a
text version of that applet, and may have some of the same abilities,
including the ability to redial or use multiple numbers. In XP's help
files, it talks of a "callback" number. Do you know what this is for?
Could this be a number for rasdial to try if the first number fails?

Hi LuDean,

If you're familiar with scripting.

You may use a VBS/WSH script to launch the rasdial.exe command-line.
The rasdial output can be read using StdOut Property, and place the
connect string in the loop.

StdOut Property (WshScriptExec):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...html/85684a76-6d66-4a1a-a3c4-cf3f48baa595.asp

Note: I don't have a RAS connection here to test, so I don't know what
the return code would be, in case the connection is successful.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I have been using rasdial to dial up my ISP from a batch file. I find
that it sometimes dials, but fails to connect. I am wondering if
there is some way to get rasdial to try again, or move on to another
number?

Ayush

Replied to [LuDean Marvin]s message :
I have been using rasdial to dial up my ISP from a batch file. I find
that it sometimes dials, but fails to connect. I am wondering if
there is some way to get rasdial to try again, or move on to another
number?

You can create a shortcut to your connection then launch the shortcut from Batch
file. ANd in your Dial-up connection properties, you can set the time between redial
attempts, number of redial attemps etc. etc..

LuDean Marvin

I'm not sure what you mean. If I understand you correctly, you want
me to create a shortcut of the GUI version of my ISP connection. Once
created, how do you add that shortcut to the batch file? It's machine
code gibberish and does not point to a file or location.

If you meant to suggest that I create a shortcut to rasdial, that I
can do. But so far, making changes in the GUI does not seem to
translate to rasdial. In the GUI, I have additional numbers and have
it set to redial if one number fails, etc. Yet, when I use rasdial
from a batch file, it calls the number once, and if it fails to
connect, that's it.