Using LINQ with VS2005 Dev. Edition

Alex. O. Koranteng

I have downloaded the CTP for Visual Studio 2005 and would like to create
sample files from Teched2007 presentations. When I open a blank solution
project, I should see a template for creating a LINQ sample, but I do not.
Any suggestions.

Thanks

Alex

Patrik Löwendahl [MVP]

LINQ is not available for VS2005. There was a technical preview /addon/
for VS2005 in the early LINQ days but that has been pulled.

If you want to try LINQ out you should download one of the VS2008
express editions.

--
Patrik Löwendahl
http://www.lowendahl.net

Alex. O. Koranteng skrev:

Alex. O. Koranteng

Patrick,

Thanks for the response. Does this mean that I should be able to take a
project which was created using the techical preview add on and use it out of
the box without making any changes to the files. These were some of
ScottGuru's series on Using LINQ Part1, Part11, etc.

Thanks

Alex. O. Koranteng skrev:
I have downloaded the CTP for Visual Studio 2005 and would like to create
sample files from Teched2007 presentations. When I open a blank solution
project, I should see a template for creating a LINQ sample, but I do not.
Any suggestions.

Thanks

Alex

Steven Cheng

Hi Patrick,

As for the "using the CTP created project out of the box", do you mean
using those assemblies (using LINQ and be created via vs 2005) in some
other vs 2008/.NET 3.5 projects?

I think that's ok. Since the VS 2005 LINQ extensino/add-on should also
product standard .NET 3.5 linq code(reference the standard LINQ
assemblies), you can use them the same as a VS 2008 produced one. (as long
as the project assembly doesn't contain VS IDE specfiic design-time code).

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

From: =?Utf-8?B?QWxleC4gTy4gS29yYW50ZW5n?= <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Using LINQ with VS2005 Dev. Edition
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 05:46:01 -0700

Alex. O. Koranteng skrev:
I have downloaded the CTP for Visual Studio 2005 and would like to create
sample files from Teched2007 presentations. When I open a blank solution
project, I should see a template for creating a LINQ sample, but I do not.
Any suggestions.

Thanks

Alex

Gregory A. Beamer \(Cowboy\) - MVP

Reading your questions, the basic answer is you can use the samples without
adjustment if you can find the CTP bits and install on VS 2005.

I would not recommend this direction, as there is a release version. I would
consider downloading the free express versions and developing in 2008 if you
require LINQ. Better yet, upgrade to VS 2008.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog