using dsadd remotely

D

Derek Melber [MVP]

Any dsadd guru's out there?

I am just testing and playing with dsadd and it seems to be a quirky command. I have my 2k3 DC and my XP Pro client (joined to the domain). I am logged into my XP Pro box as a domain admin from the DC. I run the dsadd tool to create a user in the domain using the following syntax:

dsadd user "cn=user1,ou=ou1,dc=acme,dc=local" -s dc1

I get the following back:

dsadd failed:cn=user1,ou=ou1=dc=acme,dc=local:The network path was not found.:Set password failed.

Then, I go to DC1 and the user is created!

Any ideas?

S

Steven Umbach

I am not a dsadd guru BUT I wonder if you have a minimum password length or complexity enabled on your domain and since you did not specify a password for the user I wonder if that is why you are getting grief? I assume the user is given a blank password if none is specified? I would also try the command without the domain controller specified to see if it makes a difference. I have tried that and other ds commands on a W2K domain from a XP Pro box. The dsadd work fine but some of the dsget parameters do not seem to work such as -pwdneverexpires which is unfortunate. The "network path was not found" seems to be a generic error message in certain cases. --- Steve

I am just testing and playing with dsadd and it seems to be a quirky command. I have my 2k3 DC and my XP Pro client (joined to the domain). I am logged into my XP Pro box as a domain admin from the DC. I run the dsadd tool to create a user in the domain using the following syntax:

dsadd failed:cn=user1,ou=ou1=dc=acme,dc=local:The network path was not found.:Set password failed.

Any ideas?

D

Derek Melber [MVP]

Steven,

thanks for the input. I have tried to get rid of the server, but I get worse errors:). I have also included the password and samid, but still get the same error.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
(e-mail address removed)
I am not a dsadd guru BUT I wonder if you have a minimum password length or complexity enabled on your domain and since you did not specify a password for the user I wonder if that is why you are getting grief? I assume the user is given a blank password if none is specified? I would also try the command without the domain controller specified to see if it makes a difference. I have tried that and other ds commands on a W2K domain from a XP Pro box. The dsadd work fine but some of the dsget parameters do not seem to work such as -pwdneverexpires which is unfortunate. The "network path was not found" seems to be a generic error message in certain cases. --- Steve

Any ideas?

Ask a Question