Using Custom Interactive Buttons

G

I'm using FP2003 on Windows XP. I followed the "How To" on creating and modifying custom interactive buttons (555010), but I don't see my new button in the list. My .png and .gif button files and my IBUTTONcustom.xml file are in c:\documents and settings\"user"\Application Data\Microsoft\FrontPage\Buttons. I was under the impression that FP would automatically read the xml file and display the buttons in the Interactive Buttons dialog box in FP. Is there something I need to do to make it show up? (FYI, I closed FP and reopened it... nothing.

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Is the new button name unique in the custom xml file, and are your image names correct (no path required if in the same folder) in
the <fp-rgba-img-... and <fp-rgb-img-... tags?
Try setting the <name> to have a leading * so it sorts to the top of the list as in
<name><!-- _locID_text="name230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}" -->
*Your Image Name </name>

You can either send me your xml or post it here to see if there are any other problems w/ it

--

| I'm using FP2003 on Windows XP. I followed the "How To" on creating and modifying custom interactive buttons (555010), but I don't
see my new button in the list. My .png and .gif button files and my IBUTTONcustom.xml file are in c:\documents and
settings\"user"\Application Data\Microsoft\FrontPage\Buttons. I was under the impression that FP would automatically read the xml
file and display the buttons in the Interactive Buttons dialog box in FP. Is there something I need to do to make it show up? (FYI,
I closed FP and reopened it... nothing.)
|

G

The new button name is unique, filenames are correct, I was using _ in front of the button name, but changed it to * just to see... still nothing.

Thanks for taking a look... Here's my xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><!--_lcid="1033" _version="5013"--><!-- INFO Installed FrontPage Localized Language setting --><!--_LocalBinding --><!-- Interactive Button Configuration File --><ibuttons><ibutton><fp-btn>*CSCBlueTab<!-- INFO Unique button definition ID name --></fp-btn><name><!--_locID_text="name230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}"-->*CSC Blue Tab<!-- INFO Unique button definition name

to display in dialog --></name><title><!--_locID_text="title230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}"-->Button Text<!-- INFO Default button text --><

title><fp-font><!--_locID_text="fp-font230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}"-->Arial<!-- INFO Default text font face --></fp

font><fp-font-style><!--_locID_text="fp-font-style230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}{ValidStrings=Regular,Italic,Bold,Bold

Italic}"-->Regular<!-- INFO Default text font type from list above --></fp-font-style><fp-font-size><!--_locID_text="fp-font-size230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}"-->10<!-- INFO Default text size --><

fp-font-size><fp-font-color-normal>#ffffff<!-- INFO Default normal text color --></fp-font-color-normal><fp-font-color-hover>#ffffff<!-- INFO Default hover text color --></fp-font-color-hover><fp-font-color-press>#ffffff<!-- INFO Default pressed text color --></fp-font-color-press><fp-align-rect-normal>24px,15px,376px,43px<!-- INFO See Template Editing Notes --></fp-align-rect-normal><fp-align-rect-hover>24px,15px,376px,43px<!-- INFO See Template Editing Notes --></fp-align-rect-hover><fp-align-rect-press>24px,15px,376px,43px<!-- INFO See Template Editing Notes --></fp-align-rect-press><fp-justify-vert><!--_locID_text="fp-justify-vert230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}{ValidStrings=top,center,bottom}"

->center<!-- INFO Default text alignment from list above --></fp-justify-vert><fp-direction><!--_locID_text="fp-direction230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}{L=!1025,1037}{ValidStrings=none,rtl}"-

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Your last closing tag is incorrect
You have:
<ibutton></ibuttons>
And it should be:
</ibutton></ibuttons>
- that's because of a typo error in the KB article (will correct)

The way to check an XML for syntax errors is to open it in IE to see if you get any errors
Also when you edit an XML in Notepad make sure you turn off Wrapping

PS you can delete all the comments starting w/ INFO

| The new button name is unique, filenames are correct, I was using _ in front of the button name, but changed it to * just to
see... still nothing.
|
| Thanks for taking a look... Here's my xml file:
|
| <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><!--_lcid="1033" _version="5013"--><!-- INFO Installed FrontPage Localized Language
setting --><!--_LocalBinding --><!-- Interactive Button Configuration File --><ibuttons><ibutton><fp-btn>*CSCBlueTab<!-- INFO Unique
button definition ID name --></fp-btn><name><!--_locID_text="name230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}"-->*CSC Blue Tab<!-- INFO Unique
button definition name
|
| to display in dialog --></name><title><!--_locID_text="title230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}"-->Button Text<!-- INFO Default
button text --></
|
| title><fp-font><!--_locID_text="fp-font230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}"-->Arial<!-- INFO Default text font face --></fp-
|
| font><fp-font-style><!--_locID_text="fp-font-style230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}{ValidStrings=Regular,Italic,Bold,Bold
|
| Italic}"-->Regular<!-- INFO Default text font type from list
above --></fp-font-style><fp-font-size><!--_locID_text="fp-font-size230" _locComment="{StringCat=TXT}"-->10<!-- INFO Default text
size --></
|
| fp-font-size><fp-font-color-normal>#ffffff<!-- INFO Default normal text
color --></fp-font-color-normal><fp-font-color-hover>#ffffff<!-- INFO Default hover text
color --></fp-font-color-hover><fp-font-color-press>#ffffff<!-- INFO Default pressed text
color --></fp-font-color-press><fp-align-rect-normal>24px,15px,376px,43px<!-- INFO See Template Editing
Notes --></fp-align-rect-normal><fp-align-rect-hover>24px,15px,376px,43px<!-- INFO See Template Editing
Notes --></fp-align-rect-hover><fp-align-rect-press>24px,15px,376px,43px<!-- INFO See Template Editing
Notes --></fp-align-rect-press><fp-justify-vert><!--_locID_text="fp-justify-vert230"
_locComment="{StringCat=TXT}{ValidStrings=top,center,bottom}"-
|
| ->center<!-- INFO Default text alignment from list above --></fp-justify-vert><fp-direction><!--_locID_text="fp-direction230"
_locComment="{StringCat=TXT}{L=!1025,1037}{ValidStrings=none,rtl}"--
|
| >none<!-- INFO Default language direction, if any --></fp-direction><width>100<!-- INFO Default image width to apply (proportional
to original) --></width><height>14<!-- INFO Default image height to apply (proportional to original) --></height><fp-img-hover>1<!--
INFO Default state: 1 on, 0 off --></fp-img-hover><fp-img-press>1<!-- INFO Default state: 1 on, 0
off --></fp-img-press><fp-preload>1<!-- INFO Default state: 1 on, 0 off --></fp-preload><fp-transparent>0<!-- INFO Default
transparency state: 1 on, 0 off --></fp-transparent><fp-proportional>1<!-- INFO Default resize image proportionally state: 1 on, 0
off --></fp-proportional><fp-bgcolor>#ffffff<!-- INFO Default jpeg image background color --></fp-bgcolor><fp-text-antialias>all<!--
INFO Default to apply anti-alias to text --></fp-text-antialias><fp-rgba-img-normal>TABDOWNa.png<!-- INFO Unique normal state
filename and path --></fp-rgba-img-normal><fp-rgba-img-hover>TABDOWNb.png<!-- INFO Unique hover state filename and
path --></fp-rgba-img-hover><fp-rgba-img-press>TABDOWNc.png<!-- INFO Unique pressed state filename and
path --></fp-rgba-img-press><fp-rgb-img-normal>TABDOWNa.gif<!-- INFO Unique normal state filename and
path --></fp-rgb-img-normal><fp-rgb-img-hover>TABDOWNb.gif<!-- INFO Unique hover state filename and
path --></fp-rgb-img-hover><fp-rgb-img-press>TABDOWNc.gif<!-- INFO Unique pressed state filename and
path --></fp-rgb-img-press><ibutton></ibuttons>

Ask a Question