User defined menu stops working when workbook saved with a newname???

alan82

Hi all,

I have created my own menu for an Excel workbook using VBA set to run
when the Workbook is opened.

All the menu's work ok and call the correct macros until I save the
Workbook using a new name (workbook2.xls instead of workbook1.xls).
After I've done this, when selecting a menu item Excel displays and
error message saying that it cannot locate the original workbook
(workbook1.xls) and gives me no options to update a link.

All the macros are saved in the new workbook (woorkbook2.xls)

Does anybody know why this is happening??

Thanks in advance for your time,

Jim Cone

What is the code you use to assign macros to the menu items?
What version of Excel are you using?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"alan82" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Hi all,
I have created my own menu for an Excel workbook using VBA set to run
when the Workbook is opened.
All the menu's work ok and call the correct macros until I save the
Workbook using a new name (workbook2.xls instead of workbook1.xls).
After I've done this, when selecting a menu item Excel displays and
error message saying that it cannot locate the original workbook
(workbook1.xls) and gives me no options to update a link.
All the macros are saved in the new workbook (woorkbook2.xls)
Does anybody know why this is happening??
Thanks in advance for your time,

Joel

You probably put a reference into the workbook that included the file name in
the original workbook. Eliminate all the reference that include workbook
like [book1.xls]sheet1!A1:B10. Instead just use sheet1!A1:B10

Try the following to shep solve the problem
1) Do a FIND (worksheet menu Edit find) for the workbookname on all the
worksheets.
2) Look at names (worksheet menu Insert - Name - Define) and look for any
refernces that include the workbook.
3) Check for additional reference in worksheet menu File - Proerties - Custom.

You may need to fix your macro(s) so they don't create references to the
workbook.

alan82

wrote in message
Hi all,
I have created my own menu for an Excel workbook using VBA set to run
when the Workbook is opened.
All the menu's work ok and call the correct macros until I save the
Workbook using a new name (workbook2.xls instead of workbook1.xls).
After I've done this, when selecting a menu item Excel displays and
error message saying that it cannot locate the original workbook
(workbook1.xls) and gives me no options to update a link.
All the macros are saved in the new workbook (woorkbook2.xls)
Does anybody know why this is happening??
Thanks in advance for your time,

Excel 2003 SP3

Code:

Sub AddMenus()

Dim cMenu1 As CommandBarControl
Dim cbMainMenuBar As CommandBar
Dim iHelpMenu As Integer
Dim cbcCutomMenu As CommandBarControl

On Error Resume Next
Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls("BM
TP").Delete
On Error GoTo 0

Set cbMainMenuBar = Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar")
iHelpMenu = cbMainMenuBar.Controls("Help").Index

Set cbcCutomMenu = cbMainMenuBar.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup,
Before:=iHelpMenu)
cbcCutomMenu.Caption = "BM TP"

With cbcCutomMenu.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
.Caption = "Populate"
.OnAction = "Populate"
End With
With cbcCutomMenu.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
.Caption = "Archive"
.OnAction = "Archive"
End With
With cbcCutomMenu.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
.Caption = "Hide Rows"
.OnAction = "HideRows"
End With
With cbcCutomMenu.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
.Caption = "Unhide Rows"
.OnAction = "UnhideRows"
End With
With cbcCutomMenu.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
.Caption = "Add Headers"
.OnAction = "AddHeaders"
End With

End Sub

Jim Cone

Change the .OnAction code lines to this structure...
.OnAction = ThisWorkbook.Name & "!Populate"
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA