User Defined function - Help

makulski

My User Defined function appears on the insert function wizard under User
defined. Nice.
If I select my function, it asks for the function arguments. Nice.

But it says "No help available".
It would be VERY nice to be able to provide a sentence or two of
help/documentation in this section.

Is it possible?

(Excel 97, Windows XP)

Niek Otten

No easy stuff, but it can be done. Look at Jan Karel Pieterse's article:

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/RegisterUDF00.htm

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

| My User Defined function appears on the insert function wizard under User
| defined. Nice.
| If I select my function, it asks for the function arguments. Nice.
|
| But it says "No help available".
| It would be VERY nice to be able to provide a sentence or two of
| help/documentation in this section.
|
| Is it possible?
|
| (Excel 97, Windows XP)

makulski

Thanks you Gary and Niek. You both pointed me at the same article.
I think I tripped across a version of this on an earlier crawl, and I chose
not to proceed, because of descriptive words like "Trickery", "flakey", "XL97
secret undocumented feature", "unsupported", "unofficial" and "hangs
occasionally".

I may actually try it for fun, but I think if I tried using this in an
official capacity, I might as well hand Mordant-the-preventor my testicles
right now.

Anyway, it would be nice if microsoft were to provide some official facility
for better documenting UDFs.

Gord Dibben

If all you need is a line or two to describe the UDF try this.

Tools>Macro>Macros

Type in the name of the UDF and "Options"

You can type in a couple of descriptive lines and OK then Cancel

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

makulski

All right! Yes, that worked great.
One doesn't see the udf in the macro list because it doesn't list finctions,
only subs. But typing the name in gets you there.
And the description now shows in the Insert function wizzard. That's 90% of
what I wanted. Thanks.
(agrument descriptions and detailed help are the other 10%)

Niek Otten

Hi Gord,

The link I gave to Jan Karel's site contains a further development, based on Laurents work and with contributions from KeepITCool.
This is really difficult stuff and it has taken years to get things stable. It seems to be so now, but even here are warnings all
over the place!

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message | To fully customize your User Defined Functions....

| See Laurent Longre's website for FUNCUSTOMIZE add-in.
|
| ZIP file also includes a demo file and a how-to-use file.
|
| http://longre.free.fr/english/index.html
|
| Ballon Tips are not available with Laurent's method.
|

| Gord Dibben Excel MVP
|
| On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:49:02 -0800, makulski
|
| >All right! Yes, that worked great.
| >One doesn't see the udf in the macro list because it doesn't list finctions,
| >only subs. But typing the name in gets you there.
| >And the description now shows in the Insert function wizzard. That's 90% of
| >what I wanted. Thanks.
| >(agrument descriptions and detailed help are the other 10%)
| >
| >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
| >
| >> If all you need is a line or two to describe the UDF try this.
| >>
| >> Tools>Macro>Macros
| >>
| >> Type in the name of the UDF and "Options"
| >>
| >> You can type in a couple of descriptive lines and OK then Cancel
| >>

| >> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben

Thanks Niek

Confess I had not checked out the link you posted in the earlier post.

Will add it to my store.

Gord