Use SP4 or not?

John H

I've recently upgraded to Win2000 Pro (and like it very
much) and have not installed any service packs. I am
contemplating whether I should install Service Pack 4 or
not. Because I've been using Win2000 Pro for only a few
days I haven't ran into any big problems. I am uncertain
about installing SP4 because there is no uninstall in case
I change my mine. But the Microsoft site says it's good
for security and other benefits.

Can someone who's installed any service pack tell me your
specific problem that made you decide to install any
service pack? And can you really recommend I install SP4?
I am the type that keeps things simple and only upgrade
when really needed :p

Same question for hotfixes for Win2000 Pro if you've
installed any. Thanks.

Rick

John H said:
I've recently upgraded to Win2000 Pro (and like it very
much) and have not installed any service packs. I am
contemplating whether I should install Service Pack 4 or
not. Because I've been using Win2000 Pro for only a few
days I haven't ran into any big problems. I am uncertain
about installing SP4 because there is no uninstall in case
I change my mine. But the Microsoft site says it's good
for security and other benefits.

Can someone who's installed any service pack tell me your
specific problem that made you decide to install any
service pack? And can you really recommend I install SP4?
I am the type that keeps things simple and only upgrade
when really needed :p

Same question for hotfixes for Win2000 Pro if you've
installed any. Thanks.

There *is* an option to create a backup folder when you
install a Service Pack. It can then be uninstalled, if you choose
this backup option.

If you're running any older hardware (especially any ISA cards)
I'd recommend trying SP3 first. I've run into quite a few issues
with SP4 and older hardware.

Rick

Steve Nielsen

So far so good after SP4 and all Critical Updates. I went from SP3 to
SP4 after experiencing recurring (but not constant) Windows File
Protection errors that would not be corrected. I discovered that it may
have been the combination of Symantec A/V and SP3 not getting along (the
protected file in question was a .dll installed by SAV), so I
uninstalled SAV, completely removed SP3, installed SP4 and am using a
different a/v product (AVG, seems good so far). Haven't had a WFP error
since but it's only been about a week (used to get the WFP error every
other day).

Another consideration in my going to SP4 is that I only have a Win2K w/o
any SPs CD and a Win2K w/SP4 CD in case I need to do system file check
or reinstall (I was also having trouble doing sfc at SP3 and with SAV
installed). At work we have run into problems with a couple machines
that had SPs installed when asking for a Windows 2000 SP(#) CD refusing
to accept anything BUT that specific SP level CD.

Steve

Lebev

There *is* an option to create a backup folder when you
install a Service Pack. It can then be uninstalled, if you choose
this backup option.

If you're running any older hardware (especially any ISA cards)
I'd recommend trying SP3 first. I've run into quite a few issues
with SP4 and older hardware.

Rick
SP3 seems to be fine. Yes, there is an uninstall for SP4 but it
wastes so much space on your HD. I'd only install it if I had an
image (Ghost). Then you could go back to SP3. Personally, I've had
no problems but look in this NG and read all the bad stuff about SP$.

Oli Restorick [MVP]

Yes, install SP4.

There is a backup option.

Some people have had issues with SP4, but you'd be creating major issues for
yourself by avoiding it. Unless you know that it will cause problems,
install it.

You will also want to install the major patches, especially MS03-039. Also,
go and get yourself a software firewall if you are dialling up to the
Internet. If you are dialling up to the Internet directly (with no firewall
or NAT router) and you haven't installed a service pack, I'm surprised your
computer is still working.

www.zonealarm.com offers a free firewall.

Oli

Hello, I have a problem also, on my laptop computer I do not have an internet connection and therefore I cannot install the service pack onto it. An error message came up regarding "go to the microsoft 2000 service pack website and click on PROBLEMS INSTALLING SERVICE PACKS", but there is no link whatsoever for that. What can I do? Any suggestions?

Rick

You can order SP4 on CD from Microsoft, or just use another
computer with internet access and download the "network install"
of SP4. Burn it to CD and install it on your laptop.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/default.asp

Click on "Download", then "SP4 Network Installation" on the
right side of the screen.

Rick

matthew said:
Hello, I have a problem also, on my laptop computer I do not have an internet connection and therefore I cannot install the
service pack onto it. An error message came up regarding "go to the microsoft 2000 service pack website and click on PROBLEMS
INSTALLING SERVICE PACKS", but there is no link whatsoever for that. What can I do? Any suggestions?

dcdon

Hi John,

Good thinking. Some have experienced problems using
SP4, but I'm not one of them(fingers crossed and
knockin on wood [my head]).

If you have plenty of HDD, make an ERD and a Full
Backup. HHD is fine for the backup right now.
Afterward start with SP3, and archive the files so
get back. Now you have two ways back to where you
are now. Use it for a while, like 40 hours, trying
whatever you like. read through the NG's for
Service Pack issues and post here for one of the
Microsoft staff to find out what they say, when
asked why SP4?

To make an ERD, format one floppy with an NT
machine. There are three short files produced when
the ERD is made. I personally check the box "Also
backup the Registry". I also type the Volume in the
floppy as "ERD<date>" (ERD040121). ERD menu is
located in Backup menu.
Start->Programs->Accessories->System->Backup->choos
e ERD. And put it in a safe place marked with a
sticky note.

After the ERD, you can go back and make a Full
Backup (with System State checked)

I make an ERD about once a week and whenever I go
into uncharted waters.
--
regards,
don Email Black hole set,

"John H" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

George Hester

One good reason for installing a Service Pack in Windows 2000 is because some of the must have critical updates for Windows 2000 require being at a specific Service Pack level. The msblaster update is one in particular I believe but there are many others. I have not seen except for one update that requires SP4. That is usually my criteria for a applying a Service Pack in Windows 2000. If it's necessary for a update I need then I apply the SP. If not I wait till something I need is released and requires I be at that service pack level.