Use Access 2003 Custom Menubar in 2997?


S

SilkCityFlorida

I have a number of apps I am converting from Access 2003 to 2007. I found
out how to programmatically hide the Navigation Pane. Now, I cannot use the
Ribbon concept because it would require way too much app/form redesign, and I
cannot spare the time to do that right now.

How can I just hide the ribbon AND use the Custom Menubar I had in Access
2003? Or am I stuck with creating a custom Ribbon, including all the logic
to duplicate what my users were used to seeing in 2003?

Please do not suggest buying an add-in 3rd party product. I am not allowed
to even think about that.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jeanette Cunningham

Hi, I do this with some of my apps.
The trick is to use the code kindly provided by Allen Browne in a sample
database called Splash - it creates a splash screen for your database.
The code that does the magic to make your menus work in A2007 is in a module
in the sample db.

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-53.html


Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
 
R

Rick Brandt

SilkCityFlorida said:
I have a number of apps I am converting from Access 2003 to 2007. I
found out how to programmatically hide the Navigation Pane. Now, I
cannot use the Ribbon concept because it would require way too much
app/form redesign, and I cannot spare the time to do that right now.

How can I just hide the ribbon AND use the Custom Menubar I had in
Access 2003? Or am I stuck with creating a custom Ribbon, including
all the logic to duplicate what my users were used to seeing in 2003?

Please do not suggest buying an add-in 3rd party product. I am not
allowed to even think about that.
I have several apps that I distribute in the 2000 file format where some of
the users run them with 2007. If you specify in Startup properties to
disable all built in menus AND specify a custom menu bar as the main
application menu bar then the ribbon will not display at all when the file
is run in 2007. All the user sees are your bars just as they would in older
versions.
 
S

SilkCityFlorida

I have already converted the apps to 2007 and begun using some capabilities
in 2007 that are not in 2003, so I cannot go back. I am talking about doing
this to a converted 2007 app. Is there a way to set that up?
 
S

SilkCityFlorida

[Jeez... I just realized I had fat fingers in my original post... God forbid
I should still be around when they come out with Office 2997...]

I will search for the sample you suggested. Do you happen to have a link?
 
B

Bill Sturdevant

Never mind... Guess I had too little sleep last night... I jsut saw the link!
--
Bill


SilkCityFlorida said:
[Jeez... I just realized I had fat fingers in my original post... God forbid
I should still be around when they come out with Office 2997...]

I will search for the sample you suggested. Do you happen to have a link?

Jeanette Cunningham said:
Hi, I do this with some of my apps.
The trick is to use the code kindly provided by Allen Browne in a sample
database called Splash - it creates a splash screen for your database.
The code that does the magic to make your menus work in A2007 is in a module
in the sample db.

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-53.html


Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Bill Sturdevant

Jeannette,

I downloaded and reviewed the sample you pointed me to. It deals with a
Splash screen. I cannot find anything in it that deals with hiding the
Ribbon and using a custom menubar in Access 2997. What am I missing?
 
R

Rick Brandt

SilkCityFlorida said:
I have already converted the apps to 2007 and begun using some
capabilities in 2007 that are not in 2003, so I cannot go back. I am
talking about doing this to a converted 2007 app. Is there a way to
set that up?
I don't know that converting to the 2007 file format would make any
difference to what I posted.
 
J

Jeanette Cunningham

I was referring to the code in the module called modA2007Lockout.
In the function called PrepareDbFor2007, there is some code to set
preferences for the navigation pane on application startup.
You can do this manually:
Click the big Office button at top left of screen in A2007 | Access Options
(at bottom of dialog) | Current database | Ribbon and Toolbar Options -
there are options for full menus and shortcut menus.

Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
 
B

Bill Sturdevant

Jeannette,

[FYI, I changed my display name from silkcityflorida to Bill Sturdevant]

I went to the link you cited:
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-53.html
which took me to a page about "Splash screen with version information". I
download the sample there, and there is no module called modA2007Lockout.

Did you have another link in mind, or did I mesread/miss something?
Bill
 
J

Jeanette Cunningham

Bill,
I can't find it either.
However the code I have was written by Allen Browne.
He has quite a section on his web site explaining how to convert to A2007,
with good points and gotchas.
The code was written to prepare existing database to be used in A2007. It
set up the properties when the db was opened in A207.

I will follow up and when I find that code I will post it.


Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia


Bill Sturdevant said:
Jeannette,

[FYI, I changed my display name from silkcityflorida to Bill Sturdevant]

I went to the link you cited:
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-53.html
which took me to a page about "Splash screen with version information". I
download the sample there, and there is no module called modA2007Lockout.

Did you have another link in mind, or did I mesread/miss something?
Bill


Jeanette Cunningham said:
I was referring to the code in the module called modA2007Lockout.
In the function called PrepareDbFor2007, there is some code to set
preferences for the navigation pane on application startup.
You can do this manually:
Click the big Office button at top left of screen in A2007 | Access
Options
(at bottom of dialog) | Current database | Ribbon and Toolbar Options -
there are options for full menus and shortcut menus.

Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Bill Sturdevant

Thanks! So I am not going crazy!

I take it you are on the other side of the world from me... I have just had
a tasty dirty martini, and will not think of this any more this evening.
Tomorrow morning, I will look into it further myself.
--
Bill


Jeanette Cunningham said:
Bill,
I can't find it either.
However the code I have was written by Allen Browne.
He has quite a section on his web site explaining how to convert to A2007,
with good points and gotchas.
The code was written to prepare existing database to be used in A2007. It
set up the properties when the db was opened in A207.

I will follow up and when I find that code I will post it.


Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia


Bill Sturdevant said:
Jeannette,

[FYI, I changed my display name from silkcityflorida to Bill Sturdevant]

I went to the link you cited:
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-53.html
which took me to a page about "Splash screen with version information". I
download the sample there, and there is no module called modA2007Lockout.

Did you have another link in mind, or did I mesread/miss something?
Bill


Jeanette Cunningham said:
I was referring to the code in the module called modA2007Lockout.
In the function called PrepareDbFor2007, there is some code to set
preferences for the navigation pane on application startup.
You can do this manually:
Click the big Office button at top left of screen in A2007 | Access
Options
(at bottom of dialog) | Current database | Ribbon and Toolbar Options -
there are options for full menus and shortcut menus.

Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia





message I have already converted the apps to 2007 and begun using some
capabilities
in 2007 that are not in 2003, so I cannot go back. I am talking about
doing
this to a converted 2007 app. Is there a way to set that up?

:

SilkCityFlorida wrote:
I have a number of apps I am converting from Access 2003 to 2007. I
found out how to programmatically hide the Navigation Pane. Now, I
cannot use the Ribbon concept because it would require way too much
app/form redesign, and I cannot spare the time to do that right now.

How can I just hide the ribbon AND use the Custom Menubar I had in
Access 2003? Or am I stuck with creating a custom Ribbon, including
all the logic to duplicate what my users were used to seeing in
2003?

Please do not suggest buying an add-in 3rd party product. I am not
allowed to even think about that.

I have several apps that I distribute in the 2000 file format where
some
of
the users run them with 2007. If you specify in Startup properties to
disable all built in menus AND specify a custom menu bar as the main
application menu bar then the ribbon will not display at all when the
file
is run in 2007. All the user sees are your bars just as they would in
older
versions.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jeanette Cunningham

Bill,
that code is called
Prevent Access 2007 users modifying existing databases

it is at
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-69.html

It is code you can copy and use, but it is not in a sample database. (Sorry
to mislead you)


Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia

Bill Sturdevant said:
Thanks! So I am not going crazy!

I take it you are on the other side of the world from me... I have just
had
a tasty dirty martini, and will not think of this any more this evening.
Tomorrow morning, I will look into it further myself.
--
Bill


Jeanette Cunningham said:
Bill,
I can't find it either.
However the code I have was written by Allen Browne.
He has quite a section on his web site explaining how to convert to
A2007,
with good points and gotchas.
The code was written to prepare existing database to be used in A2007. It
set up the properties when the db was opened in A207.

I will follow up and when I find that code I will post it.


Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia


Bill Sturdevant said:
Jeannette,

[FYI, I changed my display name from silkcityflorida to Bill
Sturdevant]

I went to the link you cited:
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-53.html
which took me to a page about "Splash screen with version information".
I
download the sample there, and there is no module called
modA2007Lockout.

Did you have another link in mind, or did I mesread/miss something?
Bill


:

I was referring to the code in the module called modA2007Lockout.
In the function called PrepareDbFor2007, there is some code to set
preferences for the navigation pane on application startup.
You can do this manually:
Click the big Office button at top left of screen in A2007 | Access
Options
(at bottom of dialog) | Current database | Ribbon and Toolbar
ptions -
there are options for full menus and shortcut menus.

Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia





message I have already converted the apps to 2007 and begun using some
capabilities
in 2007 that are not in 2003, so I cannot go back. I am talking
about
doing
this to a converted 2007 app. Is there a way to set that up?

:

SilkCityFlorida wrote:
I have a number of apps I am converting from Access 2003 to 2007.
I
found out how to programmatically hide the Navigation Pane. Now,
I
cannot use the Ribbon concept because it would require way too
much
app/form redesign, and I cannot spare the time to do that right
now.

How can I just hide the ribbon AND use the Custom Menubar I had
in
Access 2003? Or am I stuck with creating a custom Ribbon,
including
all the logic to duplicate what my users were used to seeing in
2003?

Please do not suggest buying an add-in 3rd party product. I am
not
allowed to even think about that.

I have several apps that I distribute in the 2000 file format where
some
of
the users run them with 2007. If you specify in Startup properties
to
disable all built in menus AND specify a custom menu bar as the
main
application menu bar then the ribbon will not display at all when
the
file
is run in 2007. All the user sees are your bars just as they would
in
older
versions.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top