Use a form for both lookup and new data entry

Reaction score
I know this is a naive question, but my books just do not answer it.

I need to use a form for both new customer data entry and for customer lookup. (It is actually an order entry form). I see the property that I need to set to allow a form to do both. So first I make fields for first name and last name. Then is there an automatic way to have the user enter a name and have the form look up the name and if it does not exist, then use the name as a new customer?

At the least I would like to avoid making the user go through the whole search process with whole name, part name, etc. options. Would also like to avoid making the user go to the bottom of the form (which will involve a scroll) to press the button for a new record.

Is there a way to
1)have the user enter a last name and see a drop down of all first and last names in the db that match that last name, letting them click on the appropriate line if they see the customer they want, and
2) if the use determines that there is no match, then create a new record easily without needing to scroll?

Ask a Question