USB Harddisk causes eventID 50

Thomas Toth

hi,

we have a win2000 server(SP3) running on dell hardware and it has been
going well. we use an external HDD, connected over USB2.0, as a backup
storage. this has been going well for over a year now.

recently (a few months ago) we started getting problems with our
external disk drive. whenever we try to store large amounts of data on
it we get an error message saying: unable to save data on
\Device\HarddiskVolume5\.... in the system log is shows up as an eventID
50 message.

connecting the same hardware to an winXP pro machine (SP2) does not
cause this trouble and all works fine. i thought both OS should behave
the same as they're using the same software?

i've read in previous posts that i'd need to disable the write-cache of
the HDD to solve this. however, as this is an external drive i have not
been able to do this so far.

i've also read that this problem is caused by the bugfix Q814017 and
that it is recommended to remove it, but keep SP3+Q332023. but how do i
do that? as far as i could see it is part of SP4. how do i remove SP4?
or any hotfix? and how come XP is not affected?

any help is appreciated,

Tom

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, does the issue only occur when you try to store large
amounts of data on the external HDD? What about small amounts of data?

In addition, I notice you said "How do I remove SP4?" Have you installed
the SP4 on the Windows 2000 machine?

As far as I know, the updated USB 2.0 driver components are available in
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4).
819332: USB 2.0 Drivers Are Available in Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819332

Regarding the Event ID 50, please refer to the following link:
<ttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=ntfs&EvtID=50
&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.0>

At this moment, I suggest you try to use the tool (Robocopy) to copy the
larger files to the USB HD using the following commands (For example: you
want to move the files C:\AVIfolder to USB HD):

Robocopy C:\AVIfolder D:\FolderOnUSB /Z >robocopy.log

You may download the tool from the following link:
Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=9d4
67a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd>

Regarding the hotfix 814017, I am not sure if the hotfix may cause the
issue. Have you read some documents about this?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
4662

--------------------
| Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:37:00 +0200
| From: Thomas Toth <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
| Subject: USB Harddisk causes eventID 50
|
| hi,
|
| we have a win2000 server(SP3) running on dell hardware and it has been
| going well. we use an external HDD, connected over USB2.0, as a backup
| storage. this has been going well for over a year now.
|
| recently (a few months ago) we started getting problems with our
| external disk drive. whenever we try to store large amounts of data on
| it we get an error message saying: unable to save data on
| \Device\HarddiskVolume5\.... in the system log is shows up as an eventID
| 50 message.
|
| connecting the same hardware to an winXP pro machine (SP2) does not
| cause this trouble and all works fine. i thought both OS should behave
| the same as they're using the same software?
|
| i've read in previous posts that i'd need to disable the write-cache of
| the HDD to solve this. however, as this is an external drive i have not
| been able to do this so far.
|
| i've also read that this problem is caused by the bugfix Q814017 and
| that it is recommended to remove it, but keep SP3+Q332023. but how do i
| do that? as far as i could see it is part of SP4. how do i remove SP4?
| or any hotfix? and how come XP is not affected?
|
| any help is appreciated,
|
| Tom

Bob I

Remove Hotfix? See Add and Remove programs. You say that the server is
SP3, which means that SP4 is not installed, so that is not an issue.

Thomas Toth

Bob said:
Remove Hotfix? See Add and Remove programs. You say that the server is
SP3, which means that SP4 is not installed, so that is not an issue.

sorry, that was a typo. SP4 is installed.

anyway, i'll check the add/remove programs and see how it goes.

thanks for the info.

Thomas Toth

Ken said:
Hello Thomas,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, does the issue only occur when you try to store large
> [...]

| external disk drive. whenever we try to store large amounts of data on
| it we get an error message saying: unable to save data on
| \Device\HarddiskVolume5\.... in the system log is shows up as an eventID
| 50 message.
|
| connecting the same hardware to an winXP pro machine (SP2) does not
| cause this trouble and all works fine. i thought both OS should behave
| the same as they're using the same software?
|
| i've read in previous posts that i'd need to disable the write-cache of
| the HDD to solve this. however, as this is an external drive i have not
| been able to do this so far.
|
| i've also read that this problem is caused by the bugfix Q814017 and
| that it is recommended to remove it, but keep SP3+Q332023. but how do i
| do that? as far as i could see it is part of SP4. how do i remove SP4?
| or any hotfix? and how come XP is not affected?

thanks for the reply. also, SP4 is installed, not SP3 (typo).

the problem can also occur when copying small data but it is more
prominent/frequent during large data movements. large here means unable
to copy a 600MB .iso. but i'm also unable to move 1000files, 1MB each.
sooner or later i get the same problem.

i found the documents about the different hotfixes under

http://sql-server-performance.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=627

i'll try the robocopy tool and i'll come back with the logfile.

thanks for the help,

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for your clarify your situation. I hope the tool can help. At this
moment, I also suggest you install Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows
2000 Service Pack 4. To obtain Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4, visit
the following Microsoft Web site:

Release of Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/891861.mspx

Hope that helps!

> [...]

| > Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the
secure
| > code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6
months
| > after which you will need to update your registration by entering the
new
| > secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
| > expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will
be
| > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current
link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!irazu.switch.ch!switch.ch!newsfeed.sunrise.ch!no
| > t-for-mail
| > |
| > | hi,
| > |
| > | we have a win2000 server(SP3) running on dell hardware and it has
been
| > | going well. we use an external HDD, connected over USB2.0, as a
backup
| > | storage. this has been going well for over a year now.
| > |
| > | recently (a few months ago) we started getting problems with our
| > | external disk drive. whenever we try to store large amounts of data
on
| > | it we get an error message saying: unable to save data on
| > | \Device\HarddiskVolume5\.... in the system log is shows up as an
eventID
| > | 50 message.
| > |
| > | connecting the same hardware to an winXP pro machine (SP2) does not
| > | cause this trouble and all works fine. i thought both OS should
behave
| > | the same as they're using the same software?
| > |
| > | i've read in previous posts that i'd need to disable the write-cache
of
| > | the HDD to solve this. however, as this is an external drive i have
not
| > | been able to do this so far.
| > |
| > | i've also read that this problem is caused by the bugfix Q814017 and
| > | that it is recommended to remove it, but keep SP3+Q332023. but how do
| > | do that? as far as i could see it is part of SP4. how do i remove
SP4?
| > | or any hotfix? and how come XP is not affected?
| > |
| > | any help is appreciated,
| > |
| > | Tom
| > |

| thanks for the reply. also, SP4 is installed, not SP3 (typo).
|
| the problem can also occur when copying small data but it is more
| prominent/frequent during large data movements. large here means unable
| to copy a 600MB .iso. but i'm also unable to move 1000files, 1MB each.
| sooner or later i get the same problem.
|
| i found the documents about the different hotfixes under

http://sql-server-performance.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=627

| i'll try the robocopy tool and i'll come back with the logfile.
|
| thanks for the help,

Thomas Toth

Dear Ken,

i am getting the rollup 1 now.

however, i have not been able to get the resource tool kit. your link
was not downloadable and the only resource kit i found was for 2003
server. and that one can not be installed on 2000 systems.

the disk in question is harddiskvolume4 or harddisk1\dr3.

i got the dmdiag to check on the disks and it seems there's some trouble
here:

---------- Drive letter to device name, QueryDosDevice() ----------

D: \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Z: \Device\HarddiskVolume3
E: \Device\CdRom0
S: \Device\HarddiskVolume4
A: \Device\Floppy0
C: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
[snip]

---------- disk header Harddisk0 ----------

dmdiag: ERROR: scan operation failed:
Format error in disk private region

---------- disk header Harddisk1 ----------

dmdiag: nt_read_dev: ReadFile(): The request could not be performed
because of an I/O device error.
dmdiag: Cannot read data
dmdiag: ERROR: scan operation failed:
Disk read failure

---------- disk config Harddisk0 ----------

---------- disk config Harddisk1 ----------

---------- disk klog Harddisk0 ----------

---------- disk klog Harddisk1 ----------

dmdiag: nt_read_dev: ReadFile(): The request could not be performed
because of an I/O device error.
dmdiag: Cannot read data
dmdiag: ERROR: scan operation failed:
Disk read failure

---------- disk partitions Harddisk0 ----------

Device: Harddisk0
Size: 35566478 blocks 17366.4 Megabytes
Parameters: Signature=128 mediatype=12
Geometry: geometry=2213/255/63 sectorsize=512 endingblocks=14633
Partition1: Type=7 Extent=63,8385867 Hidden=63 Flags=boot,recognized
Partition0: Type=15 Extent=8385930,27165915 Hidden=8385930 Flags=
Partition2: Type=7 Extent=8385993,27165852 Hidden=63 Flags=recognized

---------- disk partitions Harddisk1 ----------

Device: Harddisk1
Size: 321672961 blocks 157067 Megabytes
Parameters: Signature=3979856243 mediatype=12
Geometry: geometry=20023/255/63 sectorsize=512 endingblocks=3466
Partition0: Type=15 Extent=16065,268414020 Hidden=16065 Flags=
Partition1: Type=7 Extent=16128,165999582 Hidden=63 Flags=recognized
Extended: Type=5 Extent=166015710,102414375 Hidden=165999645 Flags=
Partition2: Type=7 Extent=166015773,102414312 Hidden=63 Flags=recognized

[...]

any clues to what this is all about???

thanks for your help,

> [...]

be
| > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current
link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
| > information, please go to:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
| > 4662
| >

| > --------------------
| > | Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:37:00 +0200
| > | From: Thomas Toth <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
| > | Subject: USB Harddisk causes eventID 50

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!irazu.switch.ch!switch.ch!newsfeed.sunrise.ch!no
| > |
| > | hi,
| > |
| > | we have a win2000 server(SP3) running on dell hardware and it has
been
| > | going well. we use an external HDD, connected over USB2.0, as a
backup
| > | storage. this has been going well for over a year now.
| > |
| > | recently (a few months ago) we started getting problems with our
| > | external disk drive. whenever we try to store large amounts of data
on
| > | it we get an error message saying: unable to save data on
| > | \Device\HarddiskVolume5\.... in the system log is shows up as an
eventID
| > | 50 message.
| > |
| > | connecting the same hardware to an winXP pro machine (SP2) does not
| > | cause this trouble and all works fine. i thought both OS should
behave
| > | the same as they're using the same software?
| > |
| > | i've read in previous posts that i'd need to disable the write-cache
of
| > | the HDD to solve this. however, as this is an external drive i have
not
| > | been able to do this so far.
| > |
| > | i've also read that this problem is caused by the bugfix Q814017 and
| > | that it is recommended to remove it, but keep SP3+Q332023. but how do
| > | do that? as far as i could see it is part of SP4. how do i remove
SP4?
| > | or any hotfix? and how come XP is not affected?
| > |
| > | any help is appreciated,
| > |
| > | Tom
| > |

| thanks for the reply. also, SP4 is installed, not SP3 (typo).
|
| the problem can also occur when copying small data but it is more
| prominent/frequent during large data movements. large here means unable
| to copy a 600MB .iso. but i'm also unable to move 1000files, 1MB each.
| sooner or later i get the same problem.
|
| i found the documents about the different hotfixes under

http://sql-server-performance.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=627

| i'll try the robocopy tool and i'll come back with the logfile.
|
| thanks for the help,

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delayed response due to weekend. If
you get any results after applying the Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4,
please feel free to post back.

If the problem persists, please send me a screen shot of the exact error
message when you try to copy large amounts of data so that I can do further
research.

To take a screen shot:
---------------------
1. Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
appears.
2. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
Click OK.
3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
4. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
5. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
My mailbox: (e-mail address removed)

Regarding the Dmdiag log, as far as I know, Dmdiag.exe is a command-line
tool that displays the location and layout of dynamic disks (MBR and GPT)
and dynamic volumes. This information is primarily useful if you are
working with Microsoft Product Support Services to troubleshoot problems
with dynamic disks and volumes. In fact, we can find some errors from the
log file. However, we can not make sure if the issue might be related the
dynamic disks and volumes.

If possible, I will email the robocopy tool to you to see if it can help.

> [...]

be
| > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current
link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
| > information, please go to:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
| > 4662
| >

| > --------------------
| > | Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:31:27 +0200
| > | From: Thomas Toth <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
| > | Subject: Re: USB Harddisk causes eventID 50

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!irazu.switch.ch!switch.ch!newsfeed.sunrise.ch!no
| > |

| > installed

| > in
| > (SP4)

<ttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=ntfs&EvtID=50

| > the
| > you

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=9d4

| > so
| > rights.

| > the
| > secure
| > months
| > new
| > be
| > Please
| > link

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001

TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!irazu.switch.ch!switch.ch!newsfeed.sunrise.ch!no
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > been
| > backup
| > | > |
| > on
| > eventID
| > | > |
| > behave
| > | > |
| > of
| > not
| > | > |
| > SP4?
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > | thanks for the reply. also, SP4 is installed, not SP3 (typo).
| > |
| > | the problem can also occur when copying small data but it is more
| > | prominent/frequent during large data movements. large here means
unable
| > | to copy a 600MB .iso. but i'm also unable to move 1000files, 1MB
each.
| > | sooner or later i get the same problem.
| > |
| > | i found the documents about the different hotfixes under
| > |
| > |

http://sql-server-performance.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=627
| > |
| > | i'll try the robocopy tool and i'll come back with the logfile.
| > |
| > | thanks for the help,
| > |
| > |

Thomas Toth

hi ken,

thanks for the robocopy tool. haven't had the time to try it yet but so
far it seems that the rollup 1 for w2k SP4 did the trick. at least there
are no more more eventID 50 messages on this machine anymore.

we actually have it on another machine but i'm yet to check whether it's
got all updates/upgrades/rollups.

i'll be back if i find the problem persists somewhere.

thanks a lot for your help,

> [...]

be
| > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current
link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
| > information, please go to:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
| > 4662
| >

| > --------------------
| > | Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:31:27 +0200
| > | From: Thomas Toth <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
| > | Subject: Re: USB Harddisk causes eventID 50

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!irazu.switch.ch!switch.ch!newsfeed.sunrise.ch!no
| > |

| > installed

| > in
| > (SP4)

<ttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=ntfs&EvtID=50

| > the
| > you

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=9d4

| > so
| > rights.

| > the
| > secure
| > months
| > new
| > be
| > Please
| > link

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001

TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!irazu.switch.ch!switch.ch!newsfeed.sunrise.ch!no
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > been
| > backup
| > | > |
| > on
| > eventID
| > | > |
| > behave
| > | > |
| > of
| > not
| > | > |
| > SP4?
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > | thanks for the reply. also, SP4 is installed, not SP3 (typo).
| > |
| > | the problem can also occur when copying small data but it is more
| > | prominent/frequent during large data movements. large here means
unable
| > | to copy a 600MB .iso. but i'm also unable to move 1000files, 1MB
each.
| > | sooner or later i get the same problem.
| > |
| > | i found the documents about the different hotfixes under
| > |
| > |

http://sql-server-performance.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=627
| > |
| > | i'll try the robocopy tool and i'll come back with the logfile.
| > |
| > | thanks for the help,
| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Thomas,

Good to know that the Rollup 1 did the trick. If you have any update,
please feel free to post back. It is our pleasure to be of assistance.

> [...]

| > Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the
secure
| > code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6
months
| > after which you will need to update your registration by entering the
new
| > secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
| > expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will
be
| > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current
link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more

wsfeed1.ip.tiscali.net!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!irazu.switch.c
| > h!switch.ch!newsfeed.sunrise.ch!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | Dear Ken,
| > |
| > | i am getting the rollup 1 now.
| > |
| > | however, i have not been able to get the resource tool kit. your link
| > | was not downloadable and the only resource kit i found was for 2003
| > | server. and that one can not be installed on 2000 systems.
| > |
| > | the disk in question is harddiskvolume4 or harddisk1\dr3.
| > |
| > | i got the dmdiag to check on the disks and it seems there's some
trouble
| > | here:
| > |
| > | ---------- Drive letter to device name, QueryDosDevice() ----------
| > |
| > | D: \Device\HarddiskVolume2
| > | Z: \Device\HarddiskVolume3
| > | E: \Device\CdRom0
| > | S: \Device\HarddiskVolume4
| > | A: \Device\Floppy0
| > | C: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
| > | [snip]
| > |
| > | ---------- disk header Harddisk0 ----------
| > |
| > | dmdiag: ERROR: scan operation failed:
| > | Format error in disk private region
| > |
| > | ---------- disk header Harddisk1 ----------
| > |
| > | dmdiag: nt_read_dev: ReadFile(): The request could not be performed
| > | because of an I/O device error.
| > | dmdiag: Cannot read data
| > | dmdiag: ERROR: scan operation failed:
| > | Disk read failure
| > |
| > | ---------- disk config Harddisk0 ----------
| > |
| > | dmdiag: ERROR: scan operation failed:
| > | Format error in disk private region
| > |
| > | ---------- disk config Harddisk1 ----------
| > |
| > | dmdiag: nt_read_dev: ReadFile(): The request could not be performed
| > | because of an I/O device error.
| > | dmdiag: Cannot read data
| > | dmdiag: ERROR: scan operation failed:
| > | Disk read failure
| > |
| > | ---------- disk klog Harddisk0 ----------
| > |
| > | dmdiag: ERROR: scan operation failed:
| > | Format error in disk private region
| > |
| > | ---------- disk klog Harddisk1 ----------
| > |
| > | dmdiag: nt_read_dev: ReadFile(): The request could not be performed
| > | because of an I/O device error.
| > | dmdiag: Cannot read data
| > | dmdiag: ERROR: scan operation failed:
| > | Disk read failure
| > |
| > | ---------- disk partitions Harddisk0 ----------
| > |
| > | Device: Harddisk0
| > | Size: 35566478 blocks 17366.4 Megabytes
| > | Parameters: Signature=128 mediatype=12
| > | Geometry: geometry=2213/255/63 sectorsize=512 endingblocks=14633
| > | Partition1: Type=7 Extent=63,8385867 Hidden=63 Flags=boot,recognized
| > | Partition0: Type=15 Extent=8385930,27165915 Hidden=8385930 Flags=
| > | Partition2: Type=7 Extent=8385993,27165852 Hidden=63
Flags=recognized
| > |
| > | ---------- disk partitions Harddisk1 ----------
| > |
| > | Device: Harddisk1
| > | Size: 321672961 blocks 157067 Megabytes
| > | Parameters: Signature=3979856243 mediatype=12
| > | Geometry: geometry=20023/255/63 sectorsize=512 endingblocks=3466
| > | Partition0: Type=15 Extent=16065,268414020 Hidden=16065 Flags=
| > | Partition1: Type=7 Extent=16128,165999582 Hidden=63 Flags=recognized
| > | Extended: Type=5 Extent=166015710,102414375 Hidden=165999645
Flags=
| > | Partition2: Type=7 Extent=166015773,102414312 Hidden=63
Flags=recognized
| > |
| > | ---------- disk partitions Harddisk0 ----------
| > |
| > | Device: Harddisk0
| > | Size: 35566478 blocks 17366.4 Megabytes
| > | Parameters: Signature=128 mediatype=12
| > | Geometry: geometry=2213/255/63 sectorsize=512 endingblocks=14633
| > | Partition1: Type=7 Extent=63,8385867 Hidden=63 Flags=boot,recognized
| > | Partition0: Type=15 Extent=8385930,27165915 Hidden=8385930 Flags=
| > | Partition2: Type=7 Extent=8385993,27165852 Hidden=63
Flags=recognized
| > |
| > | ---------- disk partitions Harddisk1 ----------
| > |
| > | Device: Harddisk1
| > | Size: 321672961 blocks 157067 Megabytes
| > | Parameters: Signature=3979856243 mediatype=12
| > | Geometry: geometry=20023/255/63 sectorsize=512 endingblocks=3466
| > | Partition0: Type=15 Extent=16065,268414020 Hidden=16065 Flags=
| > | Partition1: Type=7 Extent=16128,165999582 Hidden=63 Flags=recognized
| > | Extended: Type=5 Extent=166015710,102414375 Hidden=165999645
Flags=
| > | Partition2: Type=7 Extent=166015773,102414312 Hidden=63
Flags=recognized
| > |
| > |
| > | any clues to what this is all about???
| > |
| > | thanks for your help,
| > |
| > |

At
| > this
| > Windows
SP4,
| > visit

| > so
| > rights.

| > the
| > secure
| > months
| > new
| > be
| > Please
| > link

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001

TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!irazu.switch.ch!switch.ch!newsfeed.sunrise.ch!no
| > | > |

| > large
| > data?

| > available
Pack
| > 4

<ttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=ntfs&EvtID=50

| > copy
| > example:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=9d4

| > the

| > newsreader

| > the
| > the
| > will

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001

TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!irazu.switch.ch!switch.ch!newsfeed.sunrise.ch!no
| > | > | > |
| > data
| > | > | > |
does
| > not
| > | > | > |
| > write-cache
| > have
| > | > | > |
Q814017
| > and
but
| > how do
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > unable
| > each.
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

http://sql-server-performance.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=627
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Venkatesh

Hi,
I have a similar problem when My USB2 External HDD throws up Delayed
write failure when i try to transfer large files (1 GB or so). I have
every tried trick published in vain.
OS : win2k sp4 . updated with the latest hot fixes and rollups.
Uninstalled all other USB devices.
Increased paging size to 3gb (both min and max)
set systempages to oxffffff..
let largesystemcache to 0
turned off SMB signing.
turned of all virus scanners, firewalls
tried copying in safe mode(without network)
Wrote my own program to transfer 1kb every 10 ms.
Removed my ATi 9600 PRO and clean installed win2k all over again.
The delayed write cache is already cleared and disabled in my drive
properties.
none of the above fixes the problem
however it works fine in USB1.x mode.
help!

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Venkatesh,

Thanks for using our newsgroup!

However, please understand that our partner newsgroup is an issue based
service, meaning we usually respond to one question/issue per post. This
will lessen the confusion for both of us, as well as ensure that our
results are accurate and not a result of a test for a different question.
Regarding your question, please open a new post so that the dedicated MS
engineer can help you on it in a more efficient manner.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
4662

--------------------
| From: "Venkatesh" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
| Subject: Re: USB Harddisk causes eventID 50
| Date: 18 Sep 2005 21:35:05 -0700
|
| Hi,
| I have a similar problem when My USB2 External HDD throws up Delayed
| write failure when i try to transfer large files (1 GB or so). I have
| every tried trick published in vain.
| OS : win2k sp4 . updated with the latest hot fixes and rollups.
| Uninstalled all other USB devices.
| Increased paging size to 3gb (both min and max)
| set systempages to oxffffff..
| let largesystemcache to 0
| turned off SMB signing.
| turned of all virus scanners, firewalls
| tried copying in safe mode(without network)
| Wrote my own program to transfer 1kb every 10 ms.
| Removed my ATi 9600 PRO and clean installed win2k all over again.
| The delayed write cache is already cleared and disabled in my drive
| properties.
| none of the above fixes the problem
| however it works fine in USB1.x mode.
| help!

Venkatesh

Sorry, I did not know the rules. I'm a newbie around here.
Will start a new post.
Thanks for letting me know.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Venkatesh,