USB flash disks aren't recognized - won't load built-in driver

G

Win2K Pro SP4 has ceased recognizing USB flash disks (also known as 'pen drives', 'thumb drives', 'solid state memory drives' etc.) other USB devices are fine. None of these devices that I have ever seen have required a CD to install, checking manufacturer's support always says "no drivers needed, it will be recognized by Windows." I get the yellow "Unknown Device" question mark in device manager. I tried to update driver, it searches for .INF, goes to the web, says it found something, then on trying to install I get "a function driver was not specified for this device instance" and aborts. Any suggestions?

G

Well, by fooling around I found it. The configuration had been PC -> USB 1.1 hub -> USB 2.0 hub -> flash drive

I changed it to PC -> USB 2.0 hub -> USB 1.1 hub -> flash drive

and things work.

----- abort-retry-ignore wrote: -----

Win2K Pro SP4 has ceased recognizing USB flash disks (also known as 'pen drives', 'thumb drives', 'solid state memory drives' etc.) other USB devices are fine. None of these devices that I have ever seen have required a CD to install, checking manufacturer's support always says "no drivers needed, it will be recognized by Windows." I get the yellow "Unknown Device" question mark in device manager. I tried to update driver, it searches for .INF, goes to the web, says it found something, then on trying to install I get "a function driver was not specified for this device instance" and aborts. Any suggestions?

Ask a Question