USB Cameras and Wizard Problems

G

I think a large number of people are having problems with USB Digital Cameras, and the Camera and Fax Wizard. When you connect these devices (once the device driver is installed), the camera and fax wizard is supposed to start to facilitate downloading of the photos to the PC. It seems that there are a large number of programs and devices, that when installed on Win XP, mess up the registry so that autoplay, and the wizard, do not start. In some cases, the autoplay/wizard function just stops working, when it has been fine in the past. The device is recognized as a drive, is accessible in my computer, files can be transferred manually, but no wizard. You can't get the wizard working the usual ways, including changing "properties" for the drive, etc

The expert zone most popular FAQ acknowledges this problem, and suggests a single regisrty edit, or using TweakUI, as the fix. This is variably effective. The problem is, that I think that there are numerous possible registry conlicts that can cause this. I am aware of a number of occurences, so there must be thousands of people with this problem

A solution that has worked for me is to download "autofix.exe", available on the microsoft website, run this utility with the camera plugged in to the USB port. The menu allows you to specifiy which drive to correct registry values/autoplay for. You then need to reboot. This has solved the problem for me when all other registry, etc,. tips have failed

M

Mary Sauer

It is here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&DisplayLang=en

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/
http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm
news://msnews.microsoft.com
mt2 said:
I think a large number of people are having problems with USB Digital Cameras, and
the Camera and Fax Wizard. When you connect these devices (once the device driver is
installed), the camera and fax wizard is supposed to start to facilitate downloading
of the photos to the PC. It seems that there are a large number of programs and
devices, that when installed on Win XP, mess up the registry so that autoplay, and
the wizard, do not start. In some cases, the autoplay/wizard function just stops
working, when it has been fine in the past. The device is recognized as a drive, is
accessible in my computer, files can be transferred manually, but no wizard. You
can't get the wizard working the usual ways, including changing "properties" for the
drive, etc.
The expert zone most popular FAQ acknowledges this problem, and suggests a single
regisrty edit, or using TweakUI, as the fix. This is variably effective. The problem
is, that I think that there are numerous possible registry conlicts that can cause
this. I am aware of a number of occurences, so there must be thousands of people with
this problem.
A solution that has worked for me is to download "autofix.exe", available on the
microsoft website, run this utility with the camera plugged in to the USB port. The
menu allows you to specifiy which drive to correct registry values/autoplay for. You
then need to reboot. This has solved the problem for me when all other registry,
etc,. tips have failed.

G

That sounds like something worth trying for sure, but where on the microsoft page is that autofix.exe found?

Ask a Question