USB 2.0 - do I have it?

Terry Pinnell

I'm thinking of treating myself to an iPod, which I understand uses
USB 2.0. To be honest, I'm not sure whether this PC has that. Is there
a simple but conclusive test I can make please?

FWIW, here's a spec of some of my PC features:

CPU = AMD Athlon XP1800+ with 512MB PC2100 DDR memory, m/b = ASUS
A7A266-E (+sound), BIOS = Award Software with ASUS A7A266-E ACPI BIOS
v 1009, System Chipset = M1647 ALiMAGiK 1 AGP System Controller, Buses
= AGP/PCI/USB.

Alex Marshall

The A7A266-E does not have USB 2.0 so you would have to buy a PCI card to
add it. However you can still use your iPod because USB 2.0 devices are
backwards compatible with USB 1.1 ports. It will still work fine in your PC,
just a bit slower.

Terry Pinnell

Alex Marshall said:
The A7A266-E does not have USB 2.0 so you would have to buy a PCI card to
add it. However you can still use your iPod because USB 2.0 devices are
backwards compatible with USB 1.1 ports. It will still work fine in your PC,
just a bit slower.

Thanks Alex, much appreciate the fast reply.

Jim Macklin

40 times slower. If you buy a PCI card get a USB 2.0 combo
card with Firewire (IEEE 1394) also and you'll have the best
of both common iPod connections.

"Alex Marshall" <Reply In Newsgroup> wrote in message
| The A7A266-E does not have USB 2.0 so you would have to
buy a PCI card to
| add it. However you can still use your iPod because USB
2.0 devices are
| backwards compatible with USB 1.1 ports. It will still
work fine in your PC,
| just a bit slower.

in message