Upgrading from Windows 98

G

I am currently running Windows 98 and am having a lot of problems with the computer crashing and locking up. I am thinking about upgrading to Windows XP to resolve my stability problems. Are there any tricks or secrets that I need to be aware of before upgrading? If my Win98 is not running correctly ( I think I have some corrupted system files) should I buy the full version or the upgrade version of the XP OS, does it matter?

C

CS

I am currently running Windows 98 and am having a lot of problems with the computer crashing and locking up. I am thinking about upgrading to Windows XP to resolve my stability problems. Are there any tricks or secrets that I need to be aware of before upgrading? If my Win98 is not running correctly ( I think I have some corrupted system files) should I buy the full version or the upgrade version of the XP OS, does it matter?

Resolve your problems with Win98 first before moving on to a more
advanced OS. You could be having hardware difficulties which will
only get worse if you try to install XP.

When you're ready to take the step to XP, go to the MS web site and
download the upgrade advisor. It will tell you if your software and
hardware are compatible. If all is OK, purchase the upgrade version
not the full version. Since you already have Win98, you can use the
upgrade version of XP to do either an upgrade install or clean
install.

G

I upgraded Win98 recently to XP and had horrendous problems - 10 days of trial and error

Resolved by using the XP Upgrade CD to boot and then creating partitions and formatting from there - it meant wiping the Win98 installation out as it seemed to be causing conflicts in XP (I originally took the upgarde 98 option during XP installation). Works fine now

This process gives you the opportunity to Transfer Files and Settings before you take the drastic action I took

Just ensure your hardware is XP compatible

Des

H

High Sierra

Des said:
I upgraded Win98 recently to XP and had horrendous problems - 10 days of trial and error.

Resolved by using the XP Upgrade CD to boot and then creating partitions and formatting from there - it meant wiping the Win98 installation out as it seemed to be causing conflicts in XP (I originally took the upgarde 98 option during XP installation). Works fine now.

This process gives you the opportunity to Transfer Files and Settings before you take the drastic action I took!

Just ensure your hardware is XP compatible.

Des
I recently upgraded from W98SE to XP Pro. I had issues with my NIC which
I resolved by removing the NIC, re-booting W98SE, upgrade to XP,
re-install NIC and re-boot.

Ask a Question