Upgrading from Vista Home Basic to Windows 7

Perry Johnson

I have a Windows 7 DVD which I obtained through MSDNAA. It checked my
computer, which runs Vista Home Basic, and claims that an upgrade is
not possible and I will have to reinstall my programs. This doesn't
sound very enticing. I would like to know whether the process is
really so destructive, or if it is more like installing Windows over
an existing partition, which typically meant that few programs were
lost and most data were kept.

R. C. White

Hi, Perry.

Are you trying to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows?

Any time we change "bitness", from 32-bit to 64-bit or vice-versa, we must
do a clean install. We must boot from the DVD that has the proper drivers
and other infrastructure needed to support the version we are trying to
install. This is necessary even if we are installing the same version of
Windows, such as from Vista x86 to Vista x64.

It's not a question of licensing, but of hardware requirements in switching
bitness in either direction.

So, be sure to backup all your data. Be sure you have original installation
media - or backup installation files for programs you've downloaded. (You
can use WET (Windows Easy Transfer), first on the "old" computer, then later
on the "new" one after you've installed Windows.) Then boot from the new
DVD and follow the prompts, including letting it reformat the drive. (A
reformat is not strictly necessary, but since you must go this far anyhow,
might as well get a full fresh start.) Let Setup install Win7, including
any Updates since the original RTM (Release to Manufacturing) disks were
pressed over a year ago. Then reinstall your apps and restore your data.

See here for details:
Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA