Upgrade path

Scott Micale

I am curious as what most people are doing when it comes to upgrading to
Vista. Are you doing a clean install on a XP machine or are you just
upgrading from XP to Vista. I hate the fact that I would have to reload all
the programs if I decide I should do a clean install. Is there a way to
save out your programs that are loaded so they will be there if I went the
clean route?

Thanks

Steve Drake

I went for clean install, I always have done.

I tend to create a large D drive, I copy all my installtion CDs and
downloads to this drive.

I backup all my docs the this drive.

When I installed, I format C:

Run Vista, and install my stuff.

The last time I did this, it took less than 20mins to install Vista and less
than 2 hours to put all my progs on.

The progs I install are not small, Office 2007, Window SDK, Visual Studio
2007 plus a few other small bits.

Steve

cpemma

Scott Micale said:
I am curious as what most people are doing when it comes to upgrading to
Vista. Are you doing a clean install on a XP machine or are you just
upgrading from XP to Vista. I hate the fact that I would have to reload
all the programs if I decide I should do a clean install. Is there a way
to save out your programs that are loaded so they will be there if I went
the clean route?

Thanks
I strongly advise a clean install of any new OS. My first experience of XP
was after an over-write upgrade of 98SE. I thought it was a dog. After a
clean install it became a tiger. :)

Brian W

Clean install using Vista Ultimate OEM disc. I have no previous OS as I sold
my XP licence a few weeks ago.

Colin Barnhorst

Vista does not use the old file copy method for installation. It uses an
image copy method and so you don't get the effects you saw upgrading from
Win98 to XP. Even an upgrade is a clean install of the OS now. There are
no snippets of the old OS left on the drive.

Colin Barnhorst

No, you must reinstall the apps. You cannot reformat the disk when you
install using a Vista x86 upgrade edition. Whether you use the upgrade
option or custom option is up to you, but when MS talks about a clean
install they mean an install that does not preserve your files, settings,
and apps. They are not referring to the common user practice of paving over
the drive and starting over from scratch. If you want to install Vista x86
from scratch you must use a full edition. It works a bit differently with
the x64 dvd's. In any case, all installations of Vista, uprade or custom,
are clean installs of the OS.

Scott Micale

SO you are saying then any programs or data that was on the drive are then
all lost if you don't back them up somewhere else?

Rock

SO you are saying then any programs or data that was on the drive are then
all lost if you don't back them up somewhere else?
"Colin Barnhorst" wrote

No, if you do an in place upgrade, then apps and data are migrated to the
Vista installation. If you do a custom install the legacy installation is
rolled up into a folder called Windows.old. The apps are not usable, but
the data can be taken from there and ported to various places in Vista.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Scott,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, for more supported upgrade path, you may refer to the
following article:
Upgrade Planning for Windows Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx

Want to see if your Windows XP-based PC can run Windows Vista? Just
download, install, and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. This small
software tool will scan your computer and create an easy-to-understand
report of all known system, device, and program compatibility issues, and
recommend ways to resolve them. Upgrade Advisor can also help you choose
the edition of Windows Vista that best fits the way you want to use your
computer. For more related information about this tool, please refer to:
Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

More Reference:
==============
Preparing for an Upgrade to Windows Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsvista/ballew_upgrade.mspx

Hope that helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Scott Micale" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Upgrade path
| Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:15:08 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| I am curious as what most people are doing when it comes to upgrading to
| Vista. Are you doing a clean install on a XP machine or are you just
| upgrading from XP to Vista. I hate the fact that I would have to reload
all
| the programs if I decide I should do a clean install. Is there a way to
| save out your programs that are loaded so they will be there if I went
the
| clean route?
|
| Thanks

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Thanks all kindly input and information sharing.