Upgrade 5384 to 5456 fails

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

My guess is because you tried a Beta to Beta upgrade which is generally
considered a bad idea and probably not supported.

I doubt there is a way back to 5384 without performing a Clean Installation.
Life with a Beta...

Jimmy Brush

Hello,

Support for non-public beta releases is being provided in the
microsoft-managed private newsgroups. Please log in to connect and click the
Newsgroups link in the left pane for details on how to set this up. :)

- JB

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

I kind of doubt it in this case.

But anyone who gets Vista from any of those places is asking for trouble.
Reliable testing is hard to come by with those illegitimate sources.

DrStrange

I tried to do an in place upgrade from 5384 to 5456 and during the install
when I select the partition that 5384 is in, I get the message that any non
compatible files will be placed in a windows.old folder. That's fine, I
thought. But after 5456 is installed, not one application from 5384 has been
carried over, nor any of the system settings from 5384. It's like 5384 was
never there. Is this by design and would (from xp) deleting windows and
renaming windows.old to windows bring back 5384?